Party Boat/Dunn’s River Falls Excursion (Reggae Baby)

joetrizeo

I’d just like to give a little review of my time in Jamaica.

I’ve been to Jamaica twice, once in Feb 2006 on Costa and again in Nov 2006 on Carnival.

Both times I did the party boat/dunn's river falls excursions aboard the reggae baby run by water sports enterprises (I think).

This excursion is a blast and one of the highlights of my cruises.

The ship docks in Ochio Rios and you proceed to the small dock at the end of the big dock.

Once aboard the reggae baby you meet the crew and they serve you non alcoholic fruit punch. They then take you on a little tour up and down the coast. It’s a 3mi coast ride (20min) to the bottom of the falls where the river splashes out into the ocean. There’s a dock there where the boat ties up. On the ride there they play music and tell you a little about their town.

Once there they try to sell you t-shirts and cameras on the boat. A simple no thank you does fine.

They give you a ticket to climb which you give to security at the beach. Since its open waters, there's security to make sure no one swims up and gets a free climb (I think it’s about 15$ to climb if you don’t book an excursion).

They tell you to take all your belongings (camera, shoes, wallet etc) off the boat because the boat is going to go back for another tour while you are climbing the falls. There are nice Jamaican ladies (from the excursion) at the back wall on the beach to watch your stuff on a tarp while you climb.

Basically you only need 4 things to climb the falls. The rest stays with the ladies on the tarp. You need a swim suit (duh), flexible soled water shoes, water camera, and some singles in a zip lock bag for your guide.

You don’t need your wallet, id, sun glasses, sun tan lotion, rum punch, towel, etc.

Basically anything you DON’T want to get lost, leave with the ladies. You get substantially wet on your climb and the river is fierce so things can get washed away.

They lead you up in a line to climb the falls. It's a great time, I love doing it. The guides lead you all the way or you can go off on a tangent on your own if you want, just stay with the group kind of if you can. The guides will take pics for you and show you cool spots to stand, wade and slide. They also show you rocks you might not see. Please do not ingest the water. It IS fresh water from rain run off and while it looks crystal clear, there is no E.P.A. in Jamaica so…

It takes about 45min to climb them. At the top your guide will remind you to tip them. This is where you give them a couple bucks if he got you up there safely.

You then walk down the steps, all the way passing dry people who have entered the park at the top, who are going to walk down only to climb up. You started at the bottom, climbed up only to walk down ;)

Once at the bottom you have more chances to snap pics and swim on the small beach. I fathom you could even go up again unguided if you want, but I’ve never done that, one time is quite a workout.

You’ll have approx 2 hr total time from when you arrive to when you have to get back on the boat. That leaves about 1hr for beach time... or if you like, if the reggae baby has come back from her second load, you can gather your stuff from the ladies (tip'em if your stuff's still there) and board the boat to enjoy some now alcoholic rum punch and listen to some music. Make sure you mix your drink, all the rum’s on top. :) After a while the boat will take off and they'll play some Jamaican reggae rock for you and invite everyone to learn Jamaican booty shakin' from their dancers. Then they play more music and invite EVERYONE to dance Jamaican style, all the while sipping on rum punch. It’s a great time. Then when you're back in the bay area, by the ships, they stop the boat and let everyone jump and dive off the top of the boat and have a little swim in the ocean. This is tons of fun since the boat is approx 15ft from top deck to water. After that they call you back onboard. After one final rum punch you re-dock at the pier. Graciously tip as you exit and thank them for a fun time. Now its back to the cruise ship or Margaritaville for some lunch!

This is a great fun safe good time excursion for people from 16-50, provided you're of good health to climb the falls and want to drink. But if you don’t want to climb the falls you don’t have to, you can sit on the beach and relax.

But remember in Jamaica, they live on their tips. So tip the ladies watching your stuff (if it’s still there when you get back), tip your guide (if he gets you up safely) and tip the boat crew at the end.

But beware in Jamaica for peddlers selling you stuff and tip peddlers. Don’t feel forced into tipping someone and stay away from people who come up to talk to you to give you information or take your pic or some other type of minor service, they will ask quite forcefully for a tip afterwards.

I booked this thru the cruise company but if anyone knows how to book this one independently let me know!

Later all!

-JoeT

Archived