Has Anyone Heard About a Possible Suicide on Fantasy 12-2 Sailing?

Rowan555

There was a woman missing from Riviera Cabin 5 on our cruise - she went missing the day we were in Cozumel. We heard rumblings from guests who say they overheard the husband talking to security, but nothing firsthand. Apparently the woman had been expressing a desire to commit suicide and was drinking very heavily the last time the husband saw her. They paged her repeatedly for two days, then they paged the husband, and then the pages stopped. If anyone catches any details on this, would you post it here? We're all very curious about what happened.

I didn't hear that one. I heard of a different one. Here's the story I heard. I don't know what ship/line it happened on:

My Mom knows someone who just got back (I don't know exactly when) from a Med/transatlantic cruise ending in Ft. Lauderdale. it was an all inculsive cruise on a small ship (1 mile is 14 times around the upper deck) with 175 passengers and 175 crew.

The day after they passed the mid way point of the Atlantic ocean, one crew member went missing. They knew they had not left him behind in their last port as a passenger had seen him at 9am that morning. No one ever saw him again. They somehow calaulated how long he could stay alive in the water which they determined was 3 days. A freight ship was in the area so the cruise and freight ships patroled the area (with engines off so they would drift in the same way he would have) for 3 days. At the end of the 3 days, they threw a wreath overboard and had a memorial service. They are sure it was suicide. It kinda bothers me that they gave up their search as I'm sure he's still out there somewhere. If he's no longer alive, they could at least find his body to bring home so they can have a porper funeral and bury him.

First of all, could he still be alive and they just don't know where. He could have washed ashore and is on an island somewhere or he could have been picked up by another ship. Maybe I'm just making up stories because I don't want to accept the truth.

Man, this really puts things in perspective.

There was a woman missing from Riviera Cabin 5 on our cruise - she went missing the day we were in Cozumel. We heard rumblings from guests who say they overheard the husband talking to security, but nothing firsthand. Apparently the woman had been expressing a desire to commit suicide and was drinking very heavily the last time the husband saw her. They paged her repeatedly for two days, then they paged the husband, and then the pages stopped. If anyone catches any details on this, would you post it here? We're all very curious about what happened.

Maybe she was left behind on Cozumel? If the paging stopped and there wasn't a "search and rescue" mission done...maybe they found her still in Cozumel...?

That's what I assumed until I began listening to the "rumor mill." Mainly because the calls began just after the last tender came in. I'm sure if someone did die or go missing, it would end up in the news at some point. We shall see. Hopefully she just missed that last tender...

Avril,

If you are on a transatlantic ship heading west, once you getpast the Azores (which are relatively close to Europe, and that is relative) there are just not too many islands to wash ashore on. And after a couple days at most on the high seas, you will subscumb to the conditions

In regards to recovering the body, the body will sink or float during various phases of its decomposition. So after 2 or 3 days of looking further research is probably futile.

don't know about the accuracy of that site. last i checked ZENITH was a celebrity ship, not a carnival ship:confused:

Thanks for that heads up. And I'm usually the one telling my friends to check out the various urban legends websites to see if the little girl really is missing :(

www.cruisejunkie.com is more reputable. click the events at sea link on their main page.

no mention of this incident there

Thanks for the heads up. Out of curiosity and to educate myself, how did you determine that this was a more reputable website? I work in technology at a school and we are always trying to educate people about credible and reputable websites.

Archived