Meyerhaus Golden Princess Review (Parte una)

meyerhaus

Well, we are back and boy what a cruise! I know that several people have already posted reviews, so I will try to keep mine short ;) . I had an even LONGER book written, but I think that it might have been a little much.

TRAVEL DAY,PRE-CRUISE, and EMBARKATION

AIR TRAVEL- We left Cincinnati bound for the Dayton Airport at 3:15am. We didn’t fly out of Cincinnati because we got a MUCH better deal out of Dayton based on layovers. We flew Dayton to Atlanta to Orlando to San Juan. We did not have ANY problems with missing planes or anything; just the right amount of time.

We arrived in San Juan to find the CRAZIEST airport we have ever seen! The baggage claim was like the New York Stock Exchange: people yelling and whistling; not to mention that they were 3 deep at the carousel. :eek:

Anyway, we arrived in San Juan on Saturday the 10th at 3:40p. That is one day before the cruise. After taking a taxi to our hotel, the Wyndham Old San Juan, we got ready for the evening.

WYNDHAM OLD SAN JUAN- I reserved a Deluxe King room through the www.wyndham.com WebRates program. It is an excellent way to save money. However, this Wyndham was a little below our expectations. The room was…well just a room. I am glad we only paid $147 for it, because I would have been PISSED if we paid the full $300 rack rate. The layout is confusing, but it was quiet.

PRE-CRUISE- After changing into my Old San Juan mojo clothes, we went to the lobby to be picked up by a married couple who met my aunt and uncle on a cruise, Luis and Margie Salazar. They were great. Luis runs a motorcycle tour business, so if you are interested in touring any of the Caribbean Islands on a motorcycle, let me know and I will refer you to him.

They drove us around the entire island and then took us to a restaurant called PeeWee’s in Dorado. I was a little nervous about eating out only nice meal in San Juan at a place called PeeWee’s, but let me tell you something; this was one of the best restaurant meals I have ever eaten! If you will be renting a car in San Jaun ever, take the time to drive to Dorado and eat at PeeWee’s. All of the locals know it. :D

The next morning, we walked around Old San Juan, met DoniaG in a most peculiar way :p (See her review), and ate breakfast at La Bombanera. Two words: yum yum! The Mallorcas are to die for. They taste like a super soft and sweet Auntie Anne’s pretzel.

EMBARKATION- After packing up, we took a taxi to the Pan American Pier to wait for the ship to open. We arrived at about 11:00a and were the 7th and 8th people in line. After that, embarkation was not well handled. As Donia stated, Amy and I were right up front. Most people were not so lucky. :(

Even being so close to the front, we still were not in our rooms until about 1:30p; an hour and a half after we were supposed to be on the ship. Although I am not totally sure whether this is true or not, word from the embarkation staff was that a group of TA’s was taken aboard for a tour too late and no passengers are allowed on until they are off.

So, just as Donia did, I give embarkation an F.

Thanks, Jon. I read DoniaG's, too. Sounds like a great time. I wish that I had done the day early into SJU, though. We didn't because of logistics, but next time definately. I look forward to the continuing story - Page 2.

Hey, Jon. I really hate that you and Amy had the same hassle getting on as we did. The whole time we were fuming about all the delays, I was telling Tish that I was glad some of us (you guys!) didn't have to go through this. As I was composing my post in my head, I was thinking that you and I would have very different things to say about embarkation! Oh, well - just a rocky start to a good cruise. Loved meeting you in person! Donia

Hi,

We were on the golden 7/4-7/11. We were about the last to get off the ship and that was around noon time. We were up on deck 14 around 11:30 and did in deed see the travel agents in question on a tour of the ship. I am not sure why disembarking the ship took so long this time. But since we were still on at 11:30 and the Horizon Court opens at 11:30 it was time for one last lunch!!!

Yikes!

What an icky embarkation experience!

I gotta believe the Princess Embarkation staff was pulling their hair out over that one, they take a lot of pride in moving things right along.

Hi Golden Cruiser!

I see you are just down the road from us. You've said you were just coming off the ship when Meyer was getting on which means you are on the same itinerary we will be on 8/1. Just a couple of questions, please. What menu was it for the first formal night and did you do anything in Isla DeMargarita? We are still looking at ecursions there. Thanks for your reply.

Hi,

Another reason it was slow to embark on the 11th was that for all the people coming off the ship that had to go through customs - which is everyone- there was only one of the computers for the customs agents working. That slowed things down a whole lot. We were off the ship at noon. That was certainly the latest yet.

Hi LGT,

The first formal night is on St. Kitts day and then again on Aruba day. We did not take any side trips on Isla Margareta. I would recommend doing something or staying on the ship. THere was only a dirty, smelly beach and alot of venders selling hand made crafts which was the best part that we saw.

Archived