Cat. 4 - Star Flyer

hybrn8

To answer your question about a mobility "challenged" passenger, I would consider very seriously the fact that there are no elevators, narrow step that go below deck, staircase to go to the dining room, steps to go up to the sun deck where you'll find ropes that you have to go over/under.....Also keep in mind that the gangway to disembark or go down to the tenders is a metal one, narrow and steep and if the seas are a little rough it can be challenging.

My husband and I have gone on Star Flyer and Star Clipper, we loved the ship, we are in our late fifties, in decent shape but observed that some passengers had trouble navigating the inner passages and gangway especially in mildly rough seas. The ships are beatiful and the experience of being under sail is unique, but in my opinion you really have to assess what the mobility problems are and plan accordingly. The crew is always very helpful but you cannot always rely on them. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you give us a better sense of what you mean by slightly immobile?

You certainly don't have to be "fit." We had lots of older folks on our cruise and obvious leg or hip problems. Let us know, and we'll try to offer a better answer.

Thanks for the info. My friend is in her early 70s and while quite spry, she has what we call a get in her get-along caused by a pinched nerve in her back. However, I think the thing that will tip the scales is the fact that these ships are not equipped with stabilizers and we are both a bit prone to queasy tummies in bouncing waters. Any further thoughts much appreciated. Merry Christmas!!

Archived