Is Mamasita's Taqueria at the Costa Maya port pool area?

bahia puller

• 5 months later...

i would highly recommend leaving the port area and taking the bus to mahual...what a beautiful place to relax and unwind...$3 bus ride and worth every penny...buckets of 6 coronas for $10....no cars, walk down a dirt road with bars and small shops...can get a good deal on cigars there also...the prices start high but they come down just as fast..lol

• 2 weeks later...
Yes it is. Sit up stairs it is cooler, there is a nice breeze most of the time.

Good food, good drinks, good service.

Well, we just docked this AM at Costa "We Want US $'s Above All Else" Maya and I have to say of all the places I have visited in Mexico this is the absolute worst in terms of general friendliness, value and customer service orientation.

Mamasita's (which is in the tourist area of the port) refused anyone who wasn't bearing US currency...and they had electronic point of sale cash registers everywhere. Once you pressed the staff on this they just ignored you and huddled together like howler monkeys riddling off commentary in spanish about Americans. Maybe if you don't mind paying inflated prices (even compared to what you'd pay in the US) for garbage souvenirs (largely made in China mind you!), being serviced by staff which are anything but customer service oriented and not really experiencing anything remotely authentic, then possibly this is the port and restaurant for you...good luck. Now, I hear that for a $3 taxi ride (per person) you can go into town and the prices are negotiable and the product offering MUCH more diverse. It was interesting to come here last after stopping at Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Belize...these places didn't hassle you nearly as much to BUY, BUY, BUY...which was refreshing to say the least...and they were friendly...did I say friendly? Yes, F-R-I-E-N-D-L-Y...a word which obviously wasn't included in the Costa Maya port staff's study of American English and culture.

One last note...one thing in Costa Maya's pier which was especially disturbing and absent in all the other ports was the presence of two groups of military types paroling the pier with billy clubs in hand. The presence of such a show of force indicated there may have been a security issue in the area and the "guards" or whatever they may have been called did not project a "we like the tourists who spend money in our city" demeanor...it was closer to "we are disgusted that we have to endure your presence in our country."

All in all, I would have to say that Costa Maya is a locale which I would recommend avoiding if possible...I know neither I nor my family will be back...and I'll be recommending other ports to my friends.

Costa Maya...the golden rule to "know thy customer" is something you need to really focus and improve upon. Something as basic as accepting VISA shouldn't be a point of controversy or confrontation on the part of the bar staff. Lose the military presence, tell your customer service staff to be friendly, reduce your prices to a level that doesn't feel like you're just opening your customers wallets and taking whatever you can.

What an absolute disappointment...

:(

........ Now, I hear that for a $3 taxi ride (per person) you can go into town and the prices are negotiable and the product offering MUCH more diverse............

...............All in all, I would have to say that Costa Maya is a locale which I would recommend avoiding if possible...I know neither I nor my family will be back...and I'll be recommending other ports to my friends.................

If you stayed in the port area then you didn't experience the "real" Costa Maya, just the artificial tourist trap created by the port owners.

If you had gone into town or scheduled one of the excursions recommended here then I think you would have had a much better experience. I'm sorry you had such an unpleasant visit there, but it really is one of our favorite places once you get outside of the port area.

Last year we did wander around the port shops before heading back to the ship and we didn't notice any lack of "friendliness", but our stay in that section wasn't very long.

If you return to Costa Maya PLEASE check out this forum first and find an activity outside of the port area to try. Even if you just take a cab or bus into town I think you'll have a much better experience.

John

Archived