elation - driving from dallas to galveston?

outlandr23

Hi all -

We're leaving for our honeymoon on the Elation 8/1 and can't wait! The finaly tiny detail we need to figure out (we've booked our excursions) - how we're going to get there. Driving down saturday night is out of the question (friend is throwing a party in our honor - not driving after THAT!), so here are my options:

Fly from DFW, pay for a limo, fly back... Total cost $650-700, and not really that time saving. We're leaving from San Antonio and will have a car (long story), so the other alternative I see is renting a car Saturday night, driving down to the pier, dropping it off, and then renting another car the Sunday we return.

Does this sound feasible / worth it? How long should we expect the drive to be? What time should we leave? What time is the absolute latest we can get to the boat? We're cat 11, which I understand speeds embarkation up a bit...

Thanks again in advance! (planning a wedding and a honeymoon at the same time is harder than I thought it would be!)

Keller

So, are you leaving on Saturday from Dallas or San Antonio? Check with Southwest Airlines for flights into Hobby on early Sunday morning. You should be able to limo over for about 50 bucks. It is 4 1/2 hours from Dallas to Galveston on I-45 and about the same from San Antonio. We drive to the Houston area all the time. There is some construction on I-45 that could make the drive longer both ways. Southwest airlines could be your best bet!! Good luck and have a great cruise, remember to post a review for all of us waiting to go on her!!

Well, we have to go to San Antonio AFTER the cruise - sorry for the confusion - so the following Sunday. What we would do is fly Southwest to Hobby early Sunday, limo to the pier, then Hobby to SA after we return...

What I'm thinking though is that it might be easier (and a lot cheaper) to rent a car for the drive, drop it off near the pier (is there rental near the pier?), and then repeat when we return. We could probably do that for less than $100, vs. closer to 6 on the flight... Just a thought, though.

Thanks for the quick response! I'll definitely post a review as soon as we get back.

Best

Keller

Hi Keller. Yep, sounds confusing, but it's ok - you're just excited! Congrats on the upcoming event!

Now, to be logical (and maybe more budget-minded), I would suggest:

On Sunday morning, leave Dallas (in your own car) NO LATER than 8am...which means not TOO much partying the night before.:rolleyes:

Drive the 4.5 hours to Galveston. Park your car at the lot at the pier. Go on your honeymoon and enjoy every minute!

When you return to Galveston, get your car and head to San Antonio.

Simple, yes?:)

.........I did notice that you mentioned a car in S.A. OK, it wouldn't be a major problem for each of you to drive a car back to Dallas, would it?......if that's the case? Maybe I mis-read your meaning.

Cotton -

That really does make the most sense :) And thanks for the congratulations! I looked into love -> hobby, shuttle to pier, then shuttle back to hobby, filght to SA, then drive back to dallas, and i would probably end up spending more time in transit than i would just driving down on my own.

We do have a car in SA (Her parents are her car back to their place after the wedding; we just need to pick it up).

I'll do a search and figure out the best parking on the pier.

Thanks again!

Keller

I live in Texas, 30 minutes south of Fort Worth. We go to San Antonio all the time. We also cruise out of Galveston all of the time. And Cotton is right. You will actually save time by driving. If you fly you will have to get to the airport 2 hours early as recommended, fly to your destination, wait to get off the plane, wait for your bags at the baggage carousel, and take a shuttle to the pier. By the time that's all done and said, you are not saving any time by flying. It's only a 4 to 4 1/2 hour drive. Plus, by driving you will save a considerable amount of money. There is a parking place in Galveston called E-Z Pay parking and it's half of what the pier charges. The parking at the pier for a week is $70.00 and E-Z pay parking is $35.00 for the week. You might do a search and check them out. Look at Galveston on the ports of call section here on the boards. There's some talk about the Galveston parking there and it's very informative. Oh, and congratulations!

Enterprise will drop you at the pier after you return the car to their office and deliver your rental to you when you return.

Well, we have to go to San Antonio AFTER the cruise - sorry for the confusion - so the following Sunday. What we would do is fly Southwest to Hobby early Sunday, limo to the pier, then Hobby to SA after we return...

What I'm thinking though is that it might be easier (and a lot cheaper) to rent a car for the drive, drop it off near the pier (is there rental near the pier?), and then repeat when we return. We could probably do that for less than $100, vs. closer to 6 on the flight... Just a thought, though.

Thanks for the quick response! I'll definitely post a review as soon as we get back.

Best

Keller

Archived