JUST BACK: Spirit 11/30-12/30

212cruiser

We have just returned from the 10 day Spirit Southern Caribbean cruise. Many thanks to all of the members of this board for their helpful suggestions and advice.

Prior to embarkation, and from reading the board, we weren't quite sure what to expect since this was our first cruise with NCL. I had concluded from reading the comments on the board (right or wrong) that many member were dissatisfied with NCL for one reason or another, especially with the Freestyle concept and that some other cruise line was preferable to NCL. We are, however, thrilled to report that we had an absolutely FANTASTIC cruise. In fact, it has been our best cruise to date and would have no hesitation booking with NCL again.

EMBARKATION

This was the only segment of our beautiful trip that failed to please. The embarkation process, while relatively uneventful, could be vastly improved. The pier facilities in NYC are ancient and not outfitted as well an embarkation facility should be. Upon arriving at the pier there were no signs telling us where to go and, worse, the NCL personnel at the pier had no clue where anything was or what we should do. They were either very young (under 25) or elderly (over 75) and equally uncaring. Despite our being entitled to VIP embarkation we actually had to take the advice of our stevedore, and he showed us where we should go. Because there were no signs, and because no NCL personnel knew anything, we did not get VIP express check-in. When we did finally get to the check-in counter (where they check your reservation, take your picture and take your credit card imprint) the clerk was just as clueless as to how to check us in, and he was also quite unpleasant.

Despite him having just checked us in as Penthouse Suite guests, the clerk failed to direct us to the VIP area (where they issue you your key card) and instead told us to wait in a different line. We did, and when we got to the front of that line we, of course, were told we were in the wrong line and then directed to the concierge area where we were greeted by Lisa, the ship's Concierge. She furnished us with our key cards and information about our other amenities. It was smooth sailing after that. No big deal.

THE SHIPThe ship has been discussed on numerous occasions. I'll just comment that the crew keeps her in immaculate shape. Contrary to some other reports we never found any litter or garbage in restrooms or anywhere else onboard. Rather, the entire ship and public restrooms were always spotless and in perfect shape. The crew was cleaning the ship constantly-everywhere. And about the only sign of any wear and tear we saw was at the entrance to Raffles (the buffet area) where the seams of the carpeting were very slightly apart. Nothing observable on the ship was broken or out of order with the exception of the quirky hand sanitizers at the entrance to each restaurant. 95% of them worked, but some worked better than others.

THE STATEROOMWe had a Penthouse Suite on Deck 10. Our Steward and Stewardess were Roberto and Sheila. The suite is a large square (approximately 20 x 20 feet) divided down the middle into two main sections, each approximately 10 x 20 feet, separated by large mirrored sliding pocket doors: the living room/dining room with bar area and exterior deck, and the bedroom/bathroom section. We had plenty of closets and drawers, 2 safes, a full bar, refrigerator, 2 coffee makers, dining area with table and four chairs, living room with two chairs, coffee table and a sofa, the bathroom had a windowed whirlpool tub, glass enclosed and windowed shower, double marble/mirrored sinks, a separate marble/mirrored vanity and a toilet room with a glass door. Lighting and decor were wonderful. Each room (except bathroom) had a TV with remote and DVD player. It should be noted that the bathroom has no door; it's simply an open room off the bedroom. If that's an issue for you, don't book a Penthouse suite. Our room stewards were simply amazing. The Stewards kept our room in perfect condition, day and night (turn-down service). They accommodated our every request and were always very pleasant. I can't imagine having better service.

OUR BUTLERSuite occupants are entitled to Butler and Concierge service. Our Butler was Dilip. Unfortunately, we felt that Dilip needed several more years of training and experience to sufficiently elevate his skills to earn the title of "Butler." On our first day it was about 8:00 pm and Dilip had still not even introduced himself to us. It would have been great to have had a proficient Butler. And we paid for one. Instead we felt burdened by his presence since he contributed little if anything to our cruise experience yet expected a substantial gratuity at the conclusion of our cruise.

THE WEATHER

We were blessed with excellent weather the entire cruise. Our sail away was a near surreal experience as it was 68 degrees in NYC with clear skies and a setting sun as we gently pushed away from NY harbor, gliding past lower Manhattan, down to the Verrezano Bridge and beyond the Statue of Liberty out to sea. The lights of the city and the bridge contrasting against the setting sun were nothing short of amazing, and a perfect way to start our fantastic trip.

While the weather was excellent the seas were quite rough the second sea night out and the first sea night back. Comfort bags were placed in prominent areas throughout the ship for sick passengers although we never observed anyone who was sea sick.

However, the weather in port was nothing short of perfect, and the sea between ports was generally very smooth.

ENTERTAINMENT

Our Cruise Director was Ricky. He is very animated, high-energy and funny. We enjoyed all of the entertainment since we weren’t expecting Broadway quality productions, just well executed shows and acts to keep us entertained. The NCL cast did a fine job as did the 2 comedians on the cruise: Dave Heenin and Jeff Sasso. We also had a magician, but he was very young and this was only his second public appearance. It seemed like there was always something to do somewhere onboard.

FOOD

A: The Free Dining Rooms: Both Windows and The Garden Room are lovely. We enjoyed Windows more than the Garden Room for no particular reason other than its size and ambiance. The table settings were always formal regardless of which meal was being served. Each table seemed to be serviced by a waiter and at least one assistant. Water, coffee/tea, hot chocolate, milk, juice (breakfast) and ice tea was always available at no cost. The regular table water was just fine. We never experienced a “wait” other than a 2 minute line to be seated.

B: The Serving Staff: We were delighted with the service in both Windows and the Garden Room. While we never had the same server twice we thoroughly enjoyed being served by different servers from different countries each time we dined. Nearly without exception (there’s always that “one”), our servers were warm, friendly and extremely competent. Orders arrived correct and when I ordered seconds it would be delivered quickly.

C: The Food: Overall the majority of the food was very good to excellent. Presentation was also very good. The breads were fantastic. I can’t understand what some other cruisers were complaining about although the subject of food is very subjective. I am purposely not writing an extensive review about the food since I want future cruisers to be just as excited and (pleasantly) surprised as we were. The food at Raffles was always good and the selection excellent regardless of which meal it was. In the morning there were 2 omelet stations (each preparing two omelets simultaneously) and we didn’t have more than a 2-3 minute wait for an omelet except the first morning when it was a zoo. Contrary to popular misconception, there were always trays at Raffles, although it was difficult to find a spoon every now and then. Raffles was kept immaculate, and staff was everywhere refilling food, cleaning tables or rolling carts with juice, coffee, water and soft drinks.

SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS

We ate at them all. We were very under whelmed at Le Bistro and never returned. Be advised that Le Bistro is also an “open kitchen,” and the smell of snails and fish being cooked permeated the rear half of the dining room. Cagney’s was good, but nowhere near NY steakhouse quality. The steaks were small (yet larger than those served in Windows) and the vegetable portions actually miniscule. As for the vegetables, the corn is canned, the mashed potatoes are flakes and the baked potatoes are about half the size of what a restaurant serves. An order of asparagus was 4 small spears. The tomato and onion salad consisted of three thin slices of tomato and a garnish of red onion-not slices of Bermuda onion, as advertised or expected at a steakhouse. The desserts were good. Wine selection is adequate, and several quality selections are available by the glass. Shogun was fun and very tasty. Sorry, but La Trattoria was disappointing. It was nothing more than ordinary Italian food you would find at Raffles, just served everyday. We actually enjoyed Windows more than the specialty restaurants.

We did observe one very annoying feature at a few of the specialty restaurants. It appeared as though they were deliberately denying reservations for the 5:00-6:00pm seatings when it was half-price. On those occasions when we dined early we would have to call our Concierge to get us in because the restaurant itself claimed they were full, despite the fact that the restaurant was in fact 70-80% EMPTY. In addition, it also seemed to us as though the meat portions, especially the steaks, were smaller during those seatings.

DISEMBARKATION

Very smooth; no problems. No chaos observed, no complaints overheard. Staff were everywhere ready to help.

CONCLUSION

We had a thoroughly enjoyable experience. For us, NCL dramatically raised the bar for future cruises. Again, we’d like to thank all of the other board members who took the time to share their experience so we could better enjoy ours.

If you have any questions I’d be happy to try and answer them.

212 cruiser - we were on the the 11/09 sailing and agree with your

review except i felt the public bathrooms were not kept as

clean as our previous cruises. i agree with you regarding

le bistro. o.k. but not really worth the money.

overall, a very nice cruise for the money.

larry

I forgot to answer someone's earlier question about the Spirit's fitness center. It was open 24 hours/day, free, and is well equipped with elipticals (with individual TV's), treadmills, a rower, weights, cardio and other machines. Machine sanitizer/paper toweling and fresh towels are available as you enter the gym. The sauna and steam room are also free to use. Christopher is the Director. He also offers several seminars about fitness, nutrition and weight control.

I did take pictures for fellow board members to view. However, I haven't a clue as to how to post them. Do you? Let me know. If not, check this thread. The photos therein are fairly representative of our suite:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=443768

Thanks 212 - Imagine my surprise to find a link DH had searched. :o

We've been looking for the AB pictures of 10001 - did find some eventually.

As for posting pictures, I think most post them on their individual/personal

sites and then post a link to them from the boards here. I'm rather illiterate when it comes to computers/web sites etc.. so hopefully someone else will be able to help out on that. Thanks again

M

Archived