Good Excursions in Tortola, Dominica, ST. Vincent etc

mom_to_5

We will be leaving in about 5 weeks for a South American bound cruise. Have to wrap up our excursions bookings. IS there anything we should avoid, any must do's? Cruise will be visiting Tortola, Dominica, St. Vincent, Grenada, Port of Spain in Trinidad, Santarem and Manaus in Brazil. We love to snorkel. Will we get good use out of our gear on this trip?

:confused:

In Tortola, if you can get to Cane Garden Bay to do some swimming, do try it. We stayed there 7 years ago and it was one of the prettiest beaches I've been to. There are a few restaurants right on the beach with beach chairs and there are some water activities you can do and rent equipment for.

my recommendation for Tortola is to go over to Virgin Gorda and "The Baths"...it is one of those "must do before you die" places....and take your snorkel stuff there.

Trinidad...we did the "Asa Wright" trip...another place on the "go before you die" list.

We were in Manaus two yrs ago and did the Meeting OF The Waters tour, which I would no do again. Don't know what time you get into Manaus but you will go through the meeting of the waters. We also took a jungle canoe tour to see the giant lilly pads. This was interesting and like most places the locals come out in canoes to "sell" you items. They will show up with a child holding a snake and you can take a picture but they expect you to pay them for doing it. Usually a dollar, US, is what they want. I offered one boy a US baseball hat, his dad had and LA one on, he started to take it but his dad said something to him and the boy took the dollar instead; as we left I gave him the hat. We did not do the nighttime allegator sighting. Also we tried to do private tours but were told that the cruise ships when in port hire all the tour companies to handle their own customers.

Diving in St. Vincent is fantastic. We used Dive St. Vincent about 5 years ago and took the discover class. Amazing dives and we only went 25-30 feet down. I can just imagine how wonderful it would have been if we had been certified for the open water dive :) .

I have to give a strong vote for the Baths on Virgin Gorda - just beautiful. But for a great snorkel tour go to Norman Island (The real Treasure Island by RLS) - snorkeling in the caves (you may find some of the "missing pirates treasure") and at the Indians - just off Norman Island. Two great bars on Norman Island - The Willie - T and Pirates Bight.....both are fun, fun, fun.

:-)

Sandy

I have to give a strong vote for the Baths on Virgin Gorda - just beautiful. But for a great snorkel tour go to Norman Island (The real Treasure Island by RLS) - snorkeling in the caves (you may find some of the "missing pirates treasure") and at the Indians - just off Norman Island. Two great bars on Norman Island - The Willie - T and Pirates Bight.....both are fun, fun, fun.

:-)

Sandy

I second and triple this! The indians are incredible! Lots and lots of colorful fish swimming around you. :D

Archived