Friendship brand butter by Uhrenholt?

Runitsajellyfish

Last spring we took a Western Caribbean cruise on RCCL, and in the buffet area you could get individual packets of the best tasting butter on earth. I contacted RCCL to ask them what the brand is, and they said Friendship Brand, manufactured by Uhrenholt ( http://www.uhrenholt.com ). I've contacted their corporate office in Denmark via email, and have yet to receive a reply. If anyone knows where I can buy this brand of butter via the internet for shipment to a U.S. mailing address, please let me know. Thanks!

-Jellyfish

About 3 yrs. ago I was on RCCL & fell in love with the butter. One thing I did was sneak a bunch off (I only live 15 min. from the port). I don't remember the name of it but I did a search on the internet & found it at a french deli/store in Pasadena & went & bought it by the pound.

Search the internet & find a provider. Then call & see if it's sold in your area.

We are leaving in 45 min. to RCCL Monarch. I'll be sure & check out the butter.

Bon Voyage!

About 3 yrs. ago I was on RCCL & fell in love with the butter. One thing I did was sneak a bunch off (I only live 15 min. from the port). I don't remember the name of it but I did a search on the internet & found it at a french deli/store in Pasadena & went & bought it by the pound.

Search the internet & find a provider. Then call & see if it's sold in your area.

We are leaving in 45 min. to RCCL Monarch. I'll be sure & check out the butter.

Bon Voyage!

Thanks for the reply! I searched every main internet search engine available and came up with nothing but dead-ends. If you talk to the Food Manager on the ship, ask him if he has any U.S. based suppliers for Friendship Brand butter. Thanks and bon voyage!

-Jellyfish

Last spring we took a Western Caribbean cruise on RCCL, and in the buffet area you could get individual packets of the best tasting butter on earth. I contacted RCCL to ask them what the brand is, and they said Friendship Brand, manufactured by Uhrenholt ( http://www.uhrenholt.com ). I've contacted their corporate office in Denmark via email, and have yet to receive a reply. If anyone knows where I can buy this brand of butter via the internet for shipment to a U.S. mailing address, please let me know. Thanks!

-Jellyfish

Being that you live in Kentucky, there is a store that might not be too far from you that might carry it. It's called Jungle Jim's, and it's in Cincinatti. http://www.junglejims.com

I have been there a few times now, and they have an extensive imported butter selection that is worth checking out. They're also the largest grocery store in the Midwest. I think it's worth a try.

Being that you live in Kentucky, there is a store that might not be too far from you that might carry it. It's called Jungle Jim's, and it's in Cincinatti. http://www.junglejims.com

I have been there a few times now, and they have an extensive imported butter selection that is worth checking out. They're also the largest grocery store in the Midwest. I think it's worth a try.

Thanks for the link! That's one heck of a grocery store, the next time I'm in Cincinnati I've got to stop there. According to the link to their butter section, they don't carry that brand. I'm going to email them and see if they carry it in any of their stores.

I just got a response from the main export manager at Uhrenholt, he has forwarded my email to the person responsible for the U.S. market. I'll keep everyone posted.

-Jellyfish

Thanks for the link! That's one heck of a grocery store, the next time I'm in Cincinnati I've got to stop there. According to the link to their butter section, they don't carry that brand. I'm going to email them and see if they carry it in any of their stores.

I just got a response from the main export manager at Uhrenholt, he has forwarded my email to the person responsible for the U.S. market. I'll keep everyone posted.

-Jellyfish

Maybe they'll start carrying it if enough people request it! :) I think I'll drop them an e-mail when I get home.

It's a very neat store. If you go, take large coolers and plan to spend all day.

Well, I have recieved a reply from Uhrenholt, the manufacturer of Friendship butter, the most delicious butter on earth. Here is thier response:

"Thank you very much for your kind e-mail about our butter.

Unfortunately this is not in distribution in the USA - due the US

Import Quota system, however you may find similar butter in you Class A

supermarket. Look for French, Danish or Swedish LACTIC butter - not normal US grade AA sweet cream butter. Perhaps you can also find salted butter - which normally also is Lactic. "Lactic" is a dairy culture added to the butter during churning - this makes the "acidulous" flavour/ and the difference. Thank you again for your interest in our butter, you are one of many from a Cruise writing us this kind of note."

I then asked: "What is your opinion of Lurpak butter? It looks similar in packaging, and is made in Denmark. Would this be a close equivalent to your fine butter?"

Thier reply: "Salted Lurpak Butter is a very close match."

So there we have it! You can't get Friendship brand butter here in the U.S.A. unless you smuggle it off the cruise ship, but Lurpak Danish Salted Butter is a close second. ;)

• 2 months later...

Well, I took EggDropErin's advice and took a large ice chest (and my wife) for a trip to Cincinnati to visit Jungle Jim's grocery store....what an adventure! We spent 4.5 hours walking the huge isles looking at thousands of different items from dozens of different countries. Of course they didn't sell Friendship Brand butter, but they did sell Lurpak, of which I bought 8 packages.

Conclusion: Lurpak Slightly Salted Butter is good, but not quite as desirable as Friendship Brand. They had some samples of some French butter (didn't pay attention to the name), and it was probably a little better than the Lurpak. Next time we make a trip up there, I'll get a little of every brand.

If you're a food lover and in the Cincinnati area, Jungle Jim's is worth a visit. I sent them 2 emails over a month ago, and they didn't respond to either one, so if you need product info, it's probably best to call instead.

-Jellyfish

Archived