med/atlantic weather

merlin217

Hello....I really need some help!!!! My husband and I are planning a cruise with HAL for our 25th anniversary next year and are having trouble deciding between 2 cruises. We're looking at the 10 day Med cruise starting and ending in Rome and also at the 16 day transatlantic starting in Rome and ending in Ft. Lauderdale. The 10 day leaves on July 30 and the 16 day leaves on October 5. My question is......does anyone know what the weather is generally like both in the Mediterranean and crossing the Atlantic at that time of year? Plus what is the Med like the first of Aug?

Thanks so much for your help

I haven't done a westbound TA - so can't help too much with that. Assuming you'll hit some Med ports aroudn that time though (Oct 3, you say?) the weather in the med that time of year is still comfortably warm to mild. (ended in venice on the 18th of Oct and it was pretty chilly the morning of disembarkation - but warmed up to a nice 70 or so during the day.

Rome was the hottest mid July when i was there. So July 30 - should still be nice and hot for ya. Didn't look at the itinerary for your voyage, but i found that Naples and Piraeus were down right hot all summer without too much of a difference between July, August and Sepetember (at least to mid-sept).

Other ports we hit were Barcelona, Villefranche, Livorno, Santorini, Dubrovnik and Venice. All were "comfortably" hot. I mean - it wasn't unbearable, but certainly wasn't "jeans" weather either.

We have done a transatlantic from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale at the end of Sept. through the beginning of October. The weather was pleasant - not too hot nor too cool in Barcelona and the crossing.

Weather is not predictable. Just recently, Europe underwent an extremely hot summer with temps way above normal. They can also have a summer with temps way below normal.

Just plan the cruise you want to do and take whatever weather you get. Even a day can make a difference in weather. On our 2003 transatlantic, the Constellation left Barcelona a day ahead of us on the Millenium. Because they had more ports in Europe, they ended up a day behind us on the crossing. We had great weather on the crossing with rain only two nights. The Connie encountered more of the rainy weather.

The Med in August will be either hot or very hot. The Italians all head to the shore in August.

The crossing will usually have very nice weather that time of year. All sorts of things can happen, but it is usually calm seas and mild weather.

Just one man's opinion, of course, but: I love Italy, Malta, Slovenia, etc., but won't go there in August on a bet.

Paul

We just did a 16-day westbound transAtlantic cruise on the Noordam in October. We had only two cloudy/rainy days the entire time, the first being out in the Atlantic and the other was in Bermuda.

The temperatures were very mild, high 60s to low 70s and the seas were totally calm. We heard comments from folks who had done other transAtlantic crossings and they all said it was by far the smoothest crossing they had ever encountered. This was a mid-Atlantic crossing as we left Cadiz, Spain and had 2 stops in the Azores, then on to Bermuda and finally up to NYC.

Of course, what the seas will be like at any given time and place is a guess and even in October, it is still in hurricane season. We just happened to luck out big time on our cruise. Hope this helps!

Archived