24 hours in Ft. Lauderdale

MMW37

We get off the boat on 12/26 in the morning, and are spending that night at the Amerisuites on 17th. We'll drive back to Tampa the next day. What should we do to see a little bit of Ft. Lauderdale in just one short day? We are planning on buying the water taxi pass, and although we will have access to a car we would probably rather not deal with trying to navigate a strange city if we don't have to. We definitely don't mind getting some walking in either if it's safe to do so. We'll probably eat out for lunch and dinner, may have some last minute Christmas shopping to take care of if we don't find enough on the boat, and do enjoy a cocktail or a few. However, we don't really care for crowded, club-type atmospheres. I noticed a few Irish pubs someone had mentioned on a previous thread in this forum, I would love to find a great Guiness. Any input is welcome, thanks in advance!

Definately leave your car at the hotel, walk around (the area is safe), try the Water Taxi, consider the Sun Trolley as well. You can hop on next door to your hotel at the Harbor Shops plaza. For 50 cents it covers a lot of ground and you really get to see the differant parts of Ft Lauderdale.

http://www.suntrolley.com/bus_route-maps/convention.html.

There's a lot of restaurants on 17th Street, by the beach and Las Olas Blvd that would fit the bill.

Waxy O'Connors is a short walk from your hotel. A nice place to grab that pint your looking for. ;)

http://www.waxys.com/

Hi

This is for Bequia:

My husband and I have never been to Ft. Lauderdale.

We will be staying at the Yankee Clipper Hotel. Is Don Shula's By the Beach Restaurant near by? Also, are there things to do in this area walking distance from the hotel, and are we close to the water taxi area? Is the water taxi a good idea? Where would this take us?

Thanks so much, Cherie

Hi Sheri,

Don Shulas restaurant is in the Sheraton Yankee Trader, the sister property of the Sheraton Yankee Clipper. It's a little over a mile north of your hotel. I'd hop on the Sun Trolley for the 50 cent ride. http://www.suntrolley.com/bus_route-maps/convention.html

You can walk to the water taxi, the closest stop (#5) is across the street from your hotel at the Bahi Mar hotel marina. It's a wonderful way to tour Ft Lauderdale and see the sights.

http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone knows about how much a taxi would be from The Yankee Clipper hotel to South Beach. My brother-in-law said we should take a taxi and spend the day in south beach because there is more to see and do there than by the hotel. Also, any suggestions for South Beach?

My husband goes to Miami for business and he said the drive from FLL to South Beach takes about 40 minutes. He took a town car and it was $75 or so.

We're staying for two nights after our cruise. We're taking a cab from the port to the airport, then renting a car from the airport. We'll spend one day in South Beach and the other day in Fort Lauderdale, returning the car when we fly home. :o

Thanks Anatresia for the reply. :) Have you been to South Beach before?

No problem! Sadly, no- I've never been there. DH gets to go to all the cool places for work- Vegas, South Beach, Orlando, Chicago- even Italy (he works in the leather industry.) I'm a teacher, so I can't take days off to fly away with him to these awesome places. (That's why I finally got to book our cruise. ;) I deserve a little fun sightseeing, too!)

His favorite South Beach thing is going to Jerry's Famous Deli. The menu is extensive and the portions are huge. :D It's open 24 hours, too, I think.

Archived