Tequila tours suggestions.

martinsfo

We are going to the Mexican Riviera later this month and would like to tour a tequila factory. Any suggestions?

If you are looking to tour a real tequila factory, I'm afraid you will be out of luck. The real factories are inland.

There are a number of demonstration tequila "factories" in and around Puerto Vallarta. Their operations could fit inside a typical city lot. They are educational, entertaining and offer an oportunity to taste their product. Generally, these tours are just a stop on a larger tour.

Enjoy!

We are going to the Mexican Riviera later this month and would like to tour a tequila factory. Any suggestions?

We cruised with Holland American last fall and took the Town, Country and Tequila Tour through the cruiseline. We had a wonderful guide, named Rene, he was very informative and proud of his heritage. We went through the countryside, very pretty, a small town, the tequila factory, which as mentioned in the previous post, just explains the process, gives you the chance to sample and buy, then toured PV. We had a good time and it was very reasonable, if you don't count the cost of the Tequila that my DH purchased.

The only tour I know of that actually visits a real, operating tequila distillery is called the Tequila Six Pack and it's in Puerto Vallarta. It runs only on Wednesdays at 8:00 AM, and takes 11 hours, actually visiting the town of Tequila. This schedule makes it impossible for almost all cruise passengers.

As mentioned, many tours in Puerto Vallarta visit fake tequila distilleries, which demonstrate the process how tequila is made, from start to finish, but don't actually make the tequila right there on the spot. After showing you how it is made, you are given (usually) free tastings of several varieties of locally made tequila and tequila-based liquers, after which you can buy some to bring home with you.

Some tours that include free Tequila tastings include the Dune Buggy Adventure, City and Tropical Tour, El Eden Canopy Tour, Bucerias & Sayulita sightseeing tour, San Sebastian ATV Tour, Las Palmas Real Mexico, and the Mexcaltitan & San Blas Air Tour, among others.

I hope this helps. Have a great time!

Just 40 minutes from Mazatlan cruise ship terminal is a Tequila Factory in a beautiful valley owned by the Osuna family. It is a working factory & several tour guides will take you there by private van. Try King David or Mazatlan Frank, either can take you there.

They will give you the long colorful history of making Tequila in the state of Sinaloa as well as take you through the plant as it is working. Last time there for me I got to have 2 shots with salt & lime. Very good.

Legally here in Sinaloa they can not call it "Tequila" for in Mexico only the tequila processors in the town of Tequila in the state of Jalisco near Guadalajara have the right to call it Tequila. In the factory in Mazatlan they call it the "auga de agave azules" or the "water of the blue agave plant"

Hope this helps MazatlanMike

Yes i went on the tequila and el quelite tour with King David company about a month ago it was excellent they picked us up at the cruise dock first thing when we got off in the morning and the guide was fantastic very friendly and very knowledgable his english was good he was pretty funny too! we were at the factory within an hour and it was a running working factory incredibly bueatiful we saw the pinas after harvest ready to be cooked in the ovens and got to taste the plant also when it was done the 2 day process they combine the old artisian way to make it with the newer more advanced machine any way we all really enjoyed it as well we went to a small town saw a rooster farm when they raise and train fighters, a traditional backery (umm were you can buy fresh empanadas and other goodies, and the restaurant they took us to was delicious and very good atmoshere. well we booked are tour in advance through shoretrips which was very easy and convinient i definatly suggest this tequila tour because you get 2 tour in one.

Archived