Privately booked tour vs. ship tour in Cabo

Payd

We are pretty adventurous when it comes to booking our excursions. Our first cruise everything was through the ship...the last time everything was privately booked.

Cabo has me wondering though. I have looked around and found two whale watching excursions that I am interested in (through J&S).

One is via Zodiac and tours for two hours at noon - should be no problem with ship tender times. Knowing we would get wet should we use only an underwater camera?

The one I am leaning towards is a catamaran tour at noon for 3.5 hours.

Hopefully get some sun and not get wet. Our ship leaves at 4 - so I am guessing last scheduled tender is at 3:30 the same time our excursion is due to return.

We have never cut it this close...does anyone know about the "Guarantees" the private tours offer about getting back to the ship on time.

Help - I'm not sure what to do!!

Payd:) :)

We are travelling Jan 21-28

Hi Payd,

For advice on keeping your camera dry, see this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=448658&page=2

You won't get wet on the catamaran - cameras are totally safe to bring.

I would not recommend cutting it that close as a general rule - it's not worth the chance, particularly when there are other excursions that fit your schedule better. However, always call the tour operator or booking company to see what guarantees there are, or what advice they can offer. Nobody knows that particular tour better than they do, and everyone is very used to working with the cruise ships.

Normally (check with your specific agency), No-port no-pay guarantees protect you against your ship being late or not making port - giving you 100% security that if your ship doesn't stay on schedule, you will have no risk in booking outside the ship. Many tour operators and agencies do not offer this guarantee, so make sure to check when booking.

Most good agencies will recommend to you whether to make the reservation in the first place, based on your cruise ship schedule. However, if you're late getting back to the ship, it is unlikely that the agency will be able to cover that with any guarantee, so make sure to allow yourself time. If you're unsure if you'll have enough time, do ask when booking, it's always better safe than sorry.

The whale watching tours all leave from the same marina where you tender, so the time getting back to the ship is normally very short. No taxis or anything are necessary.

I hope this helps answer your questions. The whale sightings have started early this year - you should have a great chance to see them. Have an incredible time!

We have booked private tours for the first time on our Mercury Mex. Riv. cruise next month. Both were organized by posters on our roll call thread. In Cabo we are doing a Rissalena catamaran whale watch and in Acapulco we are doing the famous Rosie tour. Both have had great reviews and I am not worried about getting back to the ship on time.

I have seen posts by experienced Mex. residents/travelers who say Jan. is the best time for whales, so I am really looking forward to this tour. We have seen whales on tours in Alaska and MA, but this may be the best yet.

We have booked private tours for the first time on our Mercury Mex. Riv. cruise next month. Both were organized by posters on our roll call thread. In Cabo we are doing a Rissalena catamaran whale watch and in Acapulco we are doing the famous Rosie tour. Both have had great reviews and I am not worried about getting back to the ship on time.

I have seen posts by experienced Mex. residents/travelers who say Jan. is the best time for whales, so I am really looking forward to this tour. We have seen whales on tours in Alaska and MA, but this may be the best yet.

Thanks Kathie,

Sounds like you'll have fun on your excursions!

I still am undecided on the catamaran or zodiac - the biggest question I still have is: The tour times posted by local excursion companies are local time but the ship time is same or different?

Cabo is the only port in 5 cruises that would have a tight excursion time frame on the return to ship (final tender time is sometimes 30-45 minutes prior to sailing). In the end whichever excursion we do I'm sure we'll have a great time!

Payd:)

We were on the Norwegian Star last week. Cabo and ship time are the same.

We went on Pez Gatos catamaran from 11 to 3. The Star's last tender was 3:30. We made it back to the marina at exactly 3 and shopped for awhile and caught tender at 3:20.

The trip was fantastic. It was a snorkeling tour but we saw whales on the way to Santa Maria cove for snorkeling. Saw the stinking sea lions, the arch and lovers beach (for a short swim). Light lunch with open bar - the trip was great.

Noticing your signature says Carnival Pride, on the Pride, ship time will match port time in Cabos and Mazatlan. In PV, the ship time will be one hour behind local time, i.e. ship time 9:00 a.m., local time 10:00 a.m.

Enjoy

Ron

Archived