Berlin from Warnemunde

Mazie

Hello,

first of all: when you arrive on a Saturday you do need to wait until 9 am.

The ticket "Schönes Wochenend-Ticket" is valid the whole day from midnight to 3 am the next night!!!

Just get off from the ship and get the next avaialbe train!

Now the BEST:

As it is Saturday and it's the "Schönes Wochenend-Ticket" your ticket for five persons is also valid for all PUBLIC TRANSPORT in Berlin.

If you are historically interested:

Get off from the train at BERLIN HAUPTBAHNHOF.

Walk over in 10 minutes to

Bundestag / Reichstag (Parliament building)

Go over to Brandenburg Gate.

Walk along the street UNTER DEN LINDEN with all historical buildings.

The streets end at ALEXANDERPLATZ

Take from there commuter rails (S-Trains any going towards Hauptbahnhof) back to Central Station.

You dislike to walk on UNTER DEN LINDEN: Use bus 100.

Write again after June 2007 when new railways schedule is released. I check for initeriries for you.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you for all the valuable information about traveling to Berlin from the cruise port and your New Year's greeting from Germany. I greatly appreciate it as I'm sure my fellow cruisers do. I keep going back and fourth about going on the train or driving. What would you suggest? It is such a short amount of time there and we want to be able to see as much as we can. I am sure the train is more relaxing than the driving but you have the time constraints and schedules to deal with but no worries about parking. The pros & cons seem to be pretty even with both options.

Thanks again.

Mazie

Sorry that I have not respond earlier Mazie - I was on cruise myself and just back.

Using the train has advantages but also going by car:

Following suggestion for a solution in between with car and public transport in Berlin:

You get our the port a follow the blue sign for highway 19 (Schwerin - Berlin) - highway 24 (Berlin) - highway 10 (northern Ring to Stettin) - highway 1xx (something between 100 and 199 to Berlin-Reinickendorf - Berlin) - at the end of the highway you just follow the B 96 (yellow signs) to MITTE. B 96 just pass the REICHSTAG (parliament building). I would park at the Central Station (Hauptbahnhof). From there you can use public transport and just walk. So you are independent from the schedule. If you miss one train you must not wait one more hour.

I think it's a good compromise.

Regards,

HeinBloed

For all the information about Berlin. Do I understand that 5 people can ride on 1 ticket to Berlin? Seems too good to be true. But I had read something similar previously. Where would I find a schedule on the web? Hopefully, in English. I am feeling much more comfortable about going there now. However, I read in a couple books that the Pergamon is closed on Mondays (the day we will be there), then on a Berlin Tourist site it showed Mondays open. Where do you suggest I get the most accurate information? the Pergamon is the main reason for going to Berlin. Thanks.

Hi JLT,

visit Deutsche Bahn (German Railways) at http://www.bahn.de. There you can change in English.

For local transport in Berlin visit Berliner Verkehrs-Betriebe (BVG) at http://www.bvg.de and for your Berlin Tourist-Board http://www.berlin.de.

But Pergammom-Museum is NOT CLOSED on Monday. Here is the access to the State owned museum: http://www.smb.museum/smb/service/index.php?lang=en&p=5&n=3

So you will have a wonderful day in Berlin.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you Heinbloed. You are very kind to be so helpful. We shall indeed contact you later for more information. Maybe we can advise you on Australia one day.

Jennie

I will revert to your offer once I am going to Australia... Thanks...

But to be correct:

of course on Saturday/Sunday you do NOT need to wait until 9 am. So you can just go after ship's arrival.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I will revert to your offer once I am going to Australia... Thanks...

But to be correct:

of course on Saturday/Sunday you do NOT need to wait until 9 am. So you can just go after ship's arrival.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you again HeinBloed. Do we still get the special price for 5 people if we go before 9:00am?

Jennie

Hi,

for sure - you are coming on a weekend, i. e. your ticket is already valid from midnight.

Happy-Weekend-Ticket

Valid for up to 5 persons travelling together and for parents travelling with their children aged 14 or younger on Saturdays or Sundays between 12 p.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day for only EUR 33 if you buy your ticket online. Here you can buy the tickets online. Pleas note: at present the shop is only availabe in German. Please click here to enter the Ticket-Shop. You can also purchase the Happy-Weekend-Ticket on all DB-ticket automats or for 2 EUR more in all DB travel centers or DB agencies. Valid on all local trains, 2nd class only.

Visit http://www.bahn.de/p/view/international/englisch/travelservice/price_tourist.shtml and go to REGIONAL OFFERS.

So if your ship arrives at 07.00 am - you just disembarque at 08.00 am you do not need to wait until 09.00 am and just go with the next train!!!

Price in 2007: 33,00 EUR

for 5 adults OR parents/grandparents with all children (own or grandchildren) younger than 14 years.

Regards,HeinBloed

Hi,

for sure - you are coming on a weekend, i. e. your ticket is already valid from midnight.

Visit http://www.bahn.de/p/view/international/englisch/travelservice/price_tourist.shtml and go to REGIONAL OFFERS.

So if your ship arrives at 07.00 am - you just disembarque at 08.00 am you do not need to wait until 09.00 am and just go with the next train!!!

Price in 2007: 33,00 EUR

for 5 adults OR parents/grandparents with all children (own or grandchildren) younger than 14 years.

Regards,HeinBloed

Thank you once again for your helpful information HeinBloed. By the way, what is the difference please between 1st and 2nd class on the trains?

Jennie

Hi,

there is a difference between 1st and 2nd class.

1st class: 2 face to face + aisle + 4 face to face

= 3 passenger in one row

window

[ ] [ ]

aisles

[ ] [ ]

[ ] [ ]

window

2nd class: 4 face to face + aisle + 4 face to face

= 4 passenger in one row

window

[ ] [ ]

[ ] [ ]

aisles

[ ] [ ]

[ ] [ ]

window

But there is no Happy-Weekend-Ticket for the 1st class.

So regular prices:

67,40 EUR / person non-discounted standard ticket (2nd class)

101,20 EUR / person non-discounted stadard ticket (1st class)

on Saturday or Sunday

Happy-Weekend-Ticket (33,00 EUR) based

33,00 EUR / person one person (2nd class)

16,50 EUR / person two persons (2nd class)

11,00 EUR / person three persons (2nd class)

8,25 EUR / person four persons (2nd class)

6,60 EUR / person five persons (2nd class)

on Weekdays

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket (24,00 EUR)+

Brandenburg-Berlin-Ticket (26,00 EUR)

during weekdays and after 9 am!

50,00 EUR / person one person (2nd class)

25,00 EUR / person two persons (2nd class)

16,67 EUR / person three persons (2nd class)

12,50 EUR / person four persons (2nd class)

10,00 EUR / person five persons (2nd class)

So you see is very cheap to get to Berlin if you know how!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi,

= 3 passenger in one row

window

[ ] [ ]

aisles

[ ] [ ]

[ ] [ ]

window

= 4 passenger in one row

window

[ ] [ ]

[ ] [ ]

aisles

[ ] [ ]

[ ] [ ]

window

So regular prices:

on Saturday or Sunday

on Weekdays

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you HeinBloed. You are a wealth of knowledge and we are indeed fortunate to have your advice.

Jennie

Hi,

= 3 passenger in one row

window

[ ] [ ]

aisles

[ ] [ ]

[ ] [ ]

window

= 4 passenger in one row

window

[ ] [ ]

[ ] [ ]

aisles

[ ] [ ]

[ ] [ ]

window

So regular prices:

on Saturday or Sunday

on Weekdays

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hello HeinBloed,

We need your help again please. Do we need to book our tickets for this train trip ahead of time - if so, HOW do we do this please? (We are nervous about not being able to get tickets as there will be so many people from our ship trying to do the same as us.)

jennie

Good Morning,

there is NO REASON to be nervous - I was as nervous as you when I travelled from Civitavecchia to Rome and I thought be on the safe side and book all tickets first class in advance.

So I booked first class tickets for a train starting in Civitavecchia and having no first class cars...

Do not worry:

1. The commuter train from Warnemünde to Rostock starts in Warnemünde - there will be enough space for everyone who wants to go by train.

2. The train from Rostock to Berlin starts in Rostock - there will be enough space for everyone who wants to go by train.

3. You are going anticyclic! Everybody will go to the beach - so all traffic is going from Berlin to Warnemünde beach and you are just going v.v.

4. No reservation are accepted for regional trains.

5. End of May the summer schedule will be released: it could be that some trains from Berlin will be extended for the comfort of the beach-visitors to Warnemünde so you will save one addtional transfer.

6. Before you start your cruise - I will make photos how to use the ticket sales machines - you do not have extra costs. If you want a pre-sale and your tickets before you charge the German Railways will charge you handling charge for delivery.

So just relax: HeinBloed is here to help you. But as long as the new schedule is not released yet - it make so sense to make further plannings.

Anytime you write me to this posting I get an automatic notification.

Meanwhile go to this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=8925359&postcount=9 and enjoy your Berlin plannings.

Maybe you can tell me on which ship and on which you date you will be in Warnemünde. I can ask a friend from Warnemünde which time your ship should berth so we can check for more exact schedule.

Hello again:

the German Railways already published a provisorial schedule for the 07.07.2007 (Saturday / ship "ROTTERDAM" - there are not so many cruise-ships on Saturday in Warnemünde)

The ship should berth 06.00 hrs and leave 22.00 hrs.

The latest MUST GO - otherwise it make no sense as you will not have time enough to spend:

8.07 hrs from Warnemünde

8.28 hrs at Rostock Hbf (Central Station)

8.33 hrs from Rostock Hbf (Central Station)

11.16 hrs at Berlin Hbf (Central Station)

To be SAFE

7.52 hrs from Warnemünde

8.13 hrs at Rostock Hbf (Central Station)

8.33 hrs from Rostock Hbf (Central Station)

11.16 hrs at Berlin Hbf (Central Station)

Maybe you are lucky that you can leave very early the ship as it arrived earlier:

6.37 hrs from Warnemünde

6.58 hrs at Rostock Hbf (Central Station)

7.08 hrs from Rostock Hbf (Central Station)

8.10 hrs at Schwerin Hbf (Central Station)

8.14 hrs from Schwerin Hbf (Central Station)

10.36 hrs at Berlin Hbf (Central Station)

But to be honest beside the two transfer: you have to start 1.15 hrs earlier to be 40 minutes earlier in Berlin. I would stay and having my breakfast on board and get relaxed on 7.52 hrs train.

Back from Berlin to Warnemünde:

The SAFE connection:

16.41 hrs from Berlin Hbf (Central Station)

19.24 hrs at Rostock Hbf (Central Station)

19.31 hrs from Rostock Hbf (Central Station)

19.51 hrs at Warnemünde

for the worst case that first train is late:

19.46 hrs from Rostock Hbf (Central Station)

20.06 hrs at Warnemünde

The perfect time to be back for dinner.

5.25 hrs time in Berlin. Long enough to have a great day there and catch some first impressions to come back again.

And the safety network (only for emergency!!!)

17.22 hrs from Berlin Hbf (Central Station)

19.43 hrs at Schwerin Hbf (Central Station)

19.46 hrs from Schwerin Hbf (Central Station)

20.52 hrs at Rostock Hbf (Central Station)

21.01 hrs from Rostock Hbf (Central Station)

21.21 hrs at Warnemünde

BUT AS TOLD: schedule to be confirmed end of May!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Good Morning,

there is NO REASON to be nervous - I was as nervous as you when I travelled from Civitavecchia to Rome and I thought be on the safe side and book all tickets first class in advance.

So I booked first class tickets for a train starting in Civitavecchia and having no first class cars...

Do not worry:

1. The commuter train from Warnemünde to Rostock starts in Warnemünde - there will be enough space for everyone who wants to go by train.

2. The train from Rostock to Berlin starts in Rostock - there will be enough space for everyone who wants to go by train.

3. You are going anticyclic! Everybody will go to the beach - so all traffic is going from Berlin to Warnemünde beach and you are just going v.v.

4. No reservation are accepted for regional trains.

5. End of May the summer schedule will be released: it could be that some trains from Berlin will be extended for the comfort of the beach-visitors to Warnemünde so you will save one addtional transfer.

6. Before you start your cruise - I will make photos how to use the ticket sales machines - you do not have extra costs. If you want a pre-sale and your tickets before you charge the German Railways will charge you handling charge for delivery.

So just relax: HeinBloed is here to help you. But as long as the new schedule is not released yet - it make so sense to make further plannings.

Anytime you write me to this posting I get an automatic notification.

Meanwhile go to this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=8925359&postcount=9 and enjoy your Berlin plannings.

Maybe you can tell me on which ship and on which you date you will be in Warnemünde. I can ask a friend from Warnemünde which time your ship should berth so we can check for more exact schedule.

You are wonderful HeinBloed! We will be on HAL Rotterdam arriving Sat Aug 18 at 6:00am and departing at 10pm.

Thanks again for all of your help. By the way, you are a constant topic of dicussion at our family dinner table - don't worry, we only say nice things about you!

Jennie

• 1 month later...

Dear Cruise-Friends!

I was in Berlin and felt free to create a walking-route-guide for cruisers who like to use the train or a car rental to Berlin.

The Happy-Weekend-Ticket for the trains is a too good bargain to be ignored. And the location of the train stations in Warnemünde and Berlin is just great to use this opportunity.

After living there for eight years and saw how chaotic the traffic is:

Berlin is best to discover by walk.

Better is cycling...

This is a programme for first time visitors.

I am not a professional tour guide - just a cruiser who wants to help other cruisers not wasting the time by finding the way. It's my personal route and I would do it if I have to take business partners or relatives or friends to Berlin and have no more time than you would have.

Pure walking time 1.5 hours.

The rest is yours to allocate to the single sights.

This guide does not replace a tour guide book or your own researches in Internet - but it should help you!

Have fun in Berlin.

After eight years I have not seen all... so for me it's also great to discover everything again as Berlin is changing - quite fast.

Hope my information is still valid when you are in Berlin.

Download as pdf (2.3 MB).

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed: This is great stuff!!! My wife and I will be on a Baltic cruise on the Constellation this summer. We plan to take the train into Berlin (on our own, not through Celebrity). Your posts about train schedules are very helpful, and your Walking Tour guide is wonderful -- it's printed and filed with our take-along papers!

You mentioned that in the summer there may be some direct 'beach-escape' trains between Berlin and Warnemunde. We're scheduled to dock in Warnemunde on Wednesday, 13 June 2007 at 0700. Will those direct trains be in operation then? Also, are mid-week trains on the same schedule that you posted previously for Saturday?

Again, many thanks!!!

--Marne

P.S. Do you like wine? We grow Pinot Noir grapes!

You mentioned that in the summer there may be some direct 'beach-escape' trains between Berlin and Warnemunde. We're scheduled to dock in Warnemunde on Wednesday, 13 June 2007 at 0700. Will those direct trains be in operation then? Also, are mid-week trains on the same schedule that you posted previously for Saturday?

P.S. Do you like wine? We grow Pinot Noir grapes!

Thanks for your compliments -

If you are travelling after the June 10, 2007 we should wait until mid of May until the FINAL schedules are published.

Currently all schedules later than June 10, 2007 are PROVISORIAL as we have a big change in whole Europe.

And for the summer season the Germany Railways announced some direct trains from/to Warnemünde again.

I will keep an eye on it and will revert.

Regards,

HeinBloed

N.B. Thanks for your offer - but only what we called "semi-dry".

HeinBloed: Thanks yet again. We'll try to be patient until mid-May!

There are some off-dry wines produced here -- late-harvest Reislings, Gewurtztraminers, and Zinfandels mostly, but occasionally a Viognier. We love them with (or as) dessert.

--Marne

• 3 weeks later...
If you are travelling after the June 10, 2007 we should wait until mid of May until the FINAL schedules are published.

Currently all schedules later than June 10, 2007 are PROVISORIAL as we have a big change in whole Europe.

And for the summer season the Germany Railways announced some direct trains from/to Warnemünde again.

HeinBloed: Hello again! My wife had asked to be emailed by RailEurope when tickets from Warnemunde to Berlin on 13 June were available for purchase. Yesterday, she received the following email:

Dear Traveler,

You supplied us with your email address, while visiting our website, to alert you when the train from Warnemunde to Berlin, on 6/13/07 was available for purchase. Well, the day has come.

Please
to purchase your tickets and confirm your reservations today. Be sure to book early to secure the best rate! We hope you have a wonderful trip.

Rail Europe Group

44 South Broadway - 11th Floor

White Plains, NY 10601

Your European Rail Experts!

So, does this mean that the Final schedules are now out, or is RailEurope offering tickets based on the Provisorial schedule?

--Marne

marne-c, I don't know about this particular route and HeinBloed can give you additional information, but I've found over the years (we're leaving on our 15th cruise to Europe next month and have also been on ground trips) that raileurope.com charges more than the sites for trains in each country AND raileurope.com does not list all of your options. So I would recommend making your reservations through the German train site, http://www.bahn.de, unless HeinBloed feels there are reason to use http://www.raileurope.com.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Hello,

the schedule is fixed for about 98%. Small changes apply.

I checked the website of Rail Europe for you:

1. They charge you long distance-rates although you are using only regional trains only: 128 USD pp. The regular fare with German Railways is about 66 EUR = 80 USD pp. The HeinBloed-solution is available for abt. 35 USD pp.

2. There are no reservations available for regional trains.

3. Not all connections are shown.

4. The only interesting new connection starts at June 10, 2007:

It's a long distance high speed train but no high speed between Rostock and Berlin - but much more faster than Amtrak:

Warnemünde 6.52 hrs departure

Rostock 7.13 hrs hrs arrival

Rostock 7.27 hrs departure

Berlin 9.48 hrs arrival

VERY COMFORTABLE!!!

If you use this train connection raileurope is charging 139 USD pp

while German Railways is charging 80 EUR = 100 USD pp

If you are a party of 2 to 5 you can travel you can buy restricted tickets

1st person 25% discount

2nd to 5th person 50% discount on the price of the 1st person

Like now party of

2 = 103.50 EUR (subj. to availability = 52 EUR pp = 60 USD pp/ raileurope 150 USD pp)

3 = 138.00 EUR (subj. to availability = 46 EUR pp = 57 USD pp / raileurope 150 USD pp)

4 = 172.50 EUR (subj. to availability = 43 EUR pp = 55 USD pp/ raileurope 150 USD pp)

5 = 207.00 EUR (subj. to availability = 42 EUR pp = 54 USD pp / raileurope 150 USD pp)

This price is only for such cruisers arrving Warnemünde before 6 am and leaving 11 pm.

Because at this price with long-distance there is only one daily connection possible.

Therefore dbh62ark is right: Do not book there unless you want to pay more.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed,just found your walking tour and am printing it out as I speak. WOW! It is fantastic! Thank you for going to so much trouble. I can't wait to show my husband when he gets home from work. He is really looking forward to Berlin.Thank you again.

Jennie

Archived