Hep A/B shots anyone sick that had their current shots.......

1aparty

Iam not a vaccine person but was told to get my Hep A/B shots since I knew I would be cruising (and I have). I thought that these shots help prevented viruses that were caused by people preparing food and not using proper hand cleaning.

Has anyone that has had their current Hep A/B shots gotten the Noro-Virus?

Iam not a vaccine person but was told to get my Hep A/B shots since I knew I would be cruising (and I have). I thought that these shots help prevented viruses that were caused by people preparing food and not using proper hand cleaning.

Has anyone that has had their current Hep A/B shots gotten the Noro-Virus?

The Norwalk Virus is a different bug from the Hepatitis viruses the form of transmission for Hepatitis is different between A and B. A is contracted through contaminated water and food. Hepatitis B is contracted through (usually) bodily fluids. There is no vaccine available for the Norwalk virus. Keep in mind that 18-23 million people in the US become sick from the Norwalk Virus every year so the (ball park figure) 10,000 people that contract the Norwalk Virus onboard a cruise ship is a relatively low number.

The A/B shots only protect you from Hepatitis A and B, nothing else. Oh, and by the way, you're protected for life, now. No booster shots needed for these. Our pediatrician recommended them for our kids, too for our next cruise. They're getting their 2nd shot in 2 weeks and that will be that! DH and I had ours a long time ago.

Happy Sailing!! :D

Thank-you for the info dforeigner & 2Cruise4Ever, I was hoping that I would be exempt from the Noro-virus.

I wish that were the case, too. Can you imagine if they came out with a vaccine against the Noro virus? Every doctor's office and clinic would be jammed! It'd be like Target and Wal Mart on Black Friday! LOL

The best thing you can do to protect yourself against the Noro Virus is to wash your hands really well and really often. Carry Purell with you and use it frequently. Be careful about touching your face when out and about. That won't completely protect you because the virus is airborne for a few minutes so if someone near you (who has it) coughs in your direction, you can still get it, but keeping your hands clean and away from your face will help. It's one of the most contageous viruses known to man. And, it has been around as long the Earth has. The good news is that it is overwith in a couple of days (in most cases).

Happy Sailing!!! :D

Archived