Just Home From The Beautiful Volendam!

EngineerDel

Nan:

You're right. The 14-night Veendam might be a little much for us too. That's why we are taking a real close look at things before we make a choice.

We are also seriously looking at the same 3 cruises you mentioned. And yes, the prices are running about $150 p.p. more than we just paid this year.

The 10-night Maasdam (12/9/07) is very nice with an outstanding itinerary. (It has a Veranda Suite BB for a little more than we paid for our AA on the Volendam)

The 10-night Amsterdam (12/11/07) also looks nice with a good itinerary.

It's priced about the same as Maasdam.

Finally, the 11-night Noordam looks inviting with an excellent itinerary as well, but it leaves out of New York. (12/1/07) The SY Suite is priced just about the same as the others.

In looking at the HAL Fact Sheet, the Maasdam's Verandah Suite has 292 s.f. of space.....the Amsterdam has 292 s.f, and the Noordam has 254 s.f.

So, it may come down to the price of R/T Flights to Ft. Lauderdale verses New York.

We must also decide whether we want to stick with the smaller ships (which we love, 55,000 to 60,000 tons) or try the larger one. (Noordam is the exact same size as the ZUIDERDAM we cruised on 3 years ago, 81,769 tons). Both are nice but the Volendam has spoiled us. :)

We've been to just about every Island in the Caribbean. But, if we make our choice on itinerary, we'll probably choose Maasdam, as St. Maarten, Barbados, and Martinique are hard to beat. (But then again, we might go for the newer Amsterdam.) WHAT TO DO....WHAT TO DO... WHAT TO DO! There are no BAD choices!

By the way, in keeping track on cruise prices, I've noticed that many times, it seems to be best to book your cruise within the first 3 months in the year. After that, the prices usually go up. Keep that in mind.

Del

Hi Del, we are also looking at the same cruises for next Dec. Some one posted that there are several more ships in the ports on the Maasdam cruise, so would make the islands very crowded. I'll see if I can find the post. We are considering the Amsterdam. Never been to those ports. And yes, the prices have gone up since we booked the Volendam cruise. Would be nice if they came down some, but thats just wishful thinking! Have also been talking to Nannette about this one also.

Thanks for the information boxer2:

Now that you mention the Amsterdam, it is looking more attractive every minute. I like the fact that it's itinery will include less ships in ports than the Maasdam. And although both ships are very nice, the Amsterdam is quite a bit newer. (Maasdam built in 1993 verses the Amsterdam's 2000)

But I think both have been referbished recently so the age difference really doesn't matter. HAL take excellent care of all their ships.

One small thing that I liked better about the Maasdam itinerary is that Half Moon Cay is at the end of the cruise instead of the first stop, and WHAT A WAY TO END YOUR CRUISE! But I think we can live with that small difference. Do you know if there will be others ships at Half Moon along with the Amsterdam? It's kind of nice to be the only ship there.

Again, thanks a lot. We'll take a REAL GOOD look at the Amsterdam.

Del

yes, it is the Westerdam. I don't know how to get the info. to you that the CC member posted. But if you go under search, boxer2 posts and look for "Which would you choose?" posting, it is posted there. Good Luck.

Ok Nan & boxer2:

This is what I've found so far. If you have finalized your December cruise down to 2 ships; Amsterdam and Maasdam, here's what the ports look like from 12/12/ thru 12/21/07:

AMSTERDAM

12/12/07 Half Moon Cay: Amsterdam / Westerdam

12/14/07 St. Thomas: Amsterdam alone (as far as I can tell)

12/15/07 Point-a-pitre, Guadeloupe: Amsterdam alone

12/16/07 Grenada: Amsterdam alone

12/17/07 Barbados: Amsterdam / Crown Princess

12/18/07 St. Lucia: Amsterdam / Crown Princess

MAASDAM

12/12/07 St. Maarten: Maasdam / Carnival Miracle / Carnival Glory / Caribbean Princess / Cost Fortuna

12/13/07 St. Lucia: Maasdam / Carnival Destiny

12/14/07 Barbados: Maasdam alone (as far as I can tell)

12/15/07 Martinique: Maasdam alone (as far as I can tell)

12/16/07 Tortolo: Maasdam / Noordam

12/18/07 Half Moon Cay: Maasdam alone

So, I guess it's a matter of whether you'd like to share a crowded Half Moon Cay with the Westerdam (it gets crowded with 2 Ships, so reserve your Cabana or Clam Shells early).....or share a crowded St. maarten with 4 other Ships. All the other ports are not that bad. Take your choice!

Del

Merry Christmas, friends!

Cindy- I started laying it on HEAVY yesterday. I like to think that we'll be booked within the week. (Got family in from out of town until Saturday).

Are you guys doing a mini suite again?

I recently priced a BB (way aft that we enjoy) for just under $1700 without insurance. Is that compareable to what you booked?

I'll shoot you an email when things settle down a bit here. :)

Del- THANKS for that breakdown! Wouldn't it be fun to get together again?

AGAIN- Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas, friends!

Cindy- I started laying it on HEAVY yesterday. I like to think that we'll be booked within the week. (Got family in from out of town until Saturday).

Are you guys doing a mini suite again?

I recently priced a BB (way aft that we enjoy) for just under $1700 without insurance. Is that compareable to what you booked?

I'll shoot you an email when things settle down a bit here. :)

Del- THANKS for that breakdown! Wouldn't it be fun to get together again?

AGAIN- Merry Christmas!

Hi Kathy:

I noticed from your list of past cruises, you were on the Amsterdam back in 2002. Tell us...how did the Amsterdam compare to our Volendam cruise? If it was anywhere near as nice, then Merlyn and I will probably go ahead and make our final decision to book it in the next few weeks.

We've already pretty much decided on this ship, as we've never sailed her before. She doesn't usually go to the Caribbean so this will be a treat.

I think Cindy and Nan would also be interested in your comments. (As well as others who are still in the planning stage.)

Looking to hear from you!

Del

Archived