Car Hire or Taxi

Jarronwood

Forgive the repetition but for some reason no one answered my original thread a few weeks back so here goes again.

We are undecided whether to hire a cab when we get off the ship in San Pedro and I believe the rental company nearest is Enterprise? I have been given a quote of approximately $90 (USA dollars) from 12 noon pick up (they pick us up and take us to their office apparently) until Monday afternoon to deliever to LAX.

Now we do not intend really to use the car that much, it is more of getting from the pier to our hotel in Marina del Rey, then the following day to Universal Studios unless we book with a tour company and then on Monday to the airport where we will drop the car off.

I need to know how much a cab would cost from the pier to the Marina and then from the Marina to the Airport?

Advice would be very greatly received.

Thank you

You SO crack me up (in the best way):D ; and you SO owe me a drink!

(Side note, I've been swamped with work, and also it's Holiday season, so lot's of people on the boards are all off doing holiday stuff);)

That being said...

Cab is going to be expensive, so just forget that...

Your issue is really and truly...

Is it more important to not have to drive yourselves, and have "other" people handle it?

Or are you okay/comfortable enough with driving that you/your husband can do it yourselves?

I was "planning" with you based on the entire thing that you didn't want to drive, but if you're "open" to renting a car, then let me give you the facts, and you can decide from there....

Forget a cab...(too expensive)

Shuttle of some sort, on average...

$80 for two people from San Pedro to Marina Del Ray.

$20 from MDR to the airport (LAX), because it's close.

$20 to $30 per person extra for the tour/driving to Universal/Hollywood.

This is all good and fair, if you don't want to drive at all, because also at your hotel in MDR you can walk to a lot of things and beaches without driving.

If you are comfortable with driving, then rent the car.

It's less expensive, in the long run, and you can take some great scenic routes to and from Universal/Hollywood and do it all on your own time frame.

Just random thoughts, but you can (instead of the freeway route that the tour will take) from MDR to Universal...

Nielsen Blvd/Ocean Blvd from MDR up through Venice Beach, down to Pacific Coast Highway at Santa Monica, turn East at Sunset Blvd, and go from the beach, through Brentwood, and Hollywood to Highland Blvd.

Up to Hollywood and Highland to stop for a while to see the Chinese theater, the walk of stars, etc.

Continue up a bit to Universal (and/or take my side trip up to the Hollywood sign).

Take a drive up the next day to Malibu or whatever.

Uhmm, either one works for a good time.

It's just, do you want to not worry about driving, because you can do that in your plans so far...

Are you okay with driving, then it might give you more money and more freedom.

Just saying...

CJW

Archived