any suggestions for "Must Have" souvenirs from Belize?

KTownGirl

Hi all,

My fiance and I are going on our first for our honeymoon in April on the Carnival Legend. I'd like to make sure I get a few souvenirs(that you can't get anywhere else) from all the ports that we're visiting, so I'm looking for suggestions.

So, if you could help out by completing the following sentence, I'd really appreciate it!!

"Before you leave Belize, make SURE you get/buy..........?"

Thanks!!

event.png

Before you leave Belize, make sure you get, buy......a beautiful wooden bowl made with all of the woods found in the area. I bought a beautiful piece last Feb and have it displayed as art....On our recent trip to Belize I bought a wood sculpture of a seal (it is small) and a watercolor from the art shop in the port area (near the gate to the outside of the secured area). The art shop is hard to find and I didnt find it on our first cruise, but it is worth looking for....It is down an alley by the wetlizard, right next to the gate/fence. The art shop is run by an English/Ausie couple. I wish I had also bought one of the Belizian pottery pieces that they had on display, but I thought I had spent enought $$.

We were on a tour of the Old Belize River and the Altun Ha Mayan Ruins this last week. We bought a wooden sculpture from some natives that lived in the village at the ruins. Our tour guide was from the area and encouraged us to purchase from some locals just outside of the ruins. We didn't buy from the first place and feel we got a better deal after we past the first few "shops". The pieces were very nice and they are willing to bargain. Hope you have a wonderful trip...if you go down the river, take a rain poncho -- it isn't called a "rain forest" for nothing!

I have a handcarved wooden toucan that I got in Belize at the Altun Ha ruins. I just love it. The toucan is the official bird of Belize, so I thought it fitting...he sits on my piano, just gorgeous!

Melissa

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the comment about buying paintings. My DH & I now try to buy a scene or something of the places we've been painted by someone from the area. It's a great reminder of the trip, plus it's a great conversation piece when you hang them in your home. My parents have several watercolors framed in their house from their trips to Europe.

I bought several beautiful, small, handmade baskets (miniature size) from a shop within walking distance of the port. Sorry I don't remember the name of it, but they sold a lot of touristy things. The baskets were little gems that I just happened to come across and the woman who was part of the group who made them was in the shop with a box of these baskets. They are made outside of the city somewhere and are just lovely and worth looking for. And I think I paid $6 each for them.

Have been to Belize 3 times on a cruise. The only time I bought anything was the first visit. I took a New River/Lamanai trip. At the boat launch were several craftsmen. I bought a carved and painted mask of a goat's face and a piece of slate with a carved relief of a medicine man. The prices were very good. I did not see anything at all comparable in the tourist village at the port.

The best hot pepper sauce I have had is "Maries" and it is made by the Mayans. If you like this sort of thing don't forget to pick up a bottle. They use a variety of ingredients including carrots so it has a lot of flavor. I can't wait to get another bottle.

Melissa

I will have to pick up a bottle....or 2 LOL. Last time I brought home a bottle of Belikan beer for my husband...he didn't care for it, being a die hard MGD fan. My nephew will be house sitting though, and he likes all kinds of beer, so maybe I will pack him a bottle to bring home. Melissa

Marie Sharp's is the hot sauce - they have several different flavors. We tasted a few at lunch and wound up buying a grapefruit habanero that I really like and then the BEWARE extra hot variety. I love really hot habanero sauces. We also bought a small slate carving of the Mayan calendar, and some cashew and blackberry wine.

definitely pick up some marie sharpe's-they have them everywhere. i bought a beautiful piece of hand carved slate with a jaguar as the center piece. this is very important in their culture, so i would recommend a piece of slate or sculpture of some sort with a jaguar.

steve

Archived