Would you book a cruise in . . .

cruzin2paradise

June or at Christmas?

Here's why I ask, we will be booking a 2009 cruise as a graduation gift for our DD. School here in the midwest gets out the end of May so we'd go either in June (beginning to mid-June). Or, I suggested we wait till December and go during Christmas.

I understand there will be more families/kids in December and that's fine -- we've cruised at Thanksgiving! We are cruising mid-June this coming year and we're ok with it . . . I'm not too awful concerned about Hurricanes, although we know it could happen (I grew up on the east coast).

And finally, we'd have more choices of Southern Caribbean itineraries in December which is what we'd like to do.

What would you do and why? Can't wait for your responses. Thanks!!:D

June or at Christmas?

Here's why I ask, we will be booking a 2009 cruise as a graduation gift for our DD. School here in the midwest gets out the end of May so we'd go either in June (beginning to mid-June). Or, I suggested we wait till December and go during Christmas.

I understand there will be more families/kids in December and that's fine -- we've cruised at Thanksgiving! We are cruising mid-June this coming year and we're ok with it . . . I'm not too awful concerned about Hurricanes, although we know it could happen (I grew up on the east coast).

And finally, we'd have more choices of Southern Caribbean itineraries in December which is what we'd like to do.

Depends on your priorities. There are some great value cruises in early December, and in January to some destinations. I think XMAS and New Years sailings command a premium as do most summer sailings. I am most concerned with value, so I book accordingly. For example, we booked Alaska during Sept. considered not prime. Any cruise is great, so your decisions will be all good!

Depends on your priorities. There are some great value cruises in early December, and in January to some destinations. I think XMAS and New Years sailings command a premium as do most summer sailings. I am most concerned with value, so I book accordingly. For example, we booked Alaska during Sept. considered not prime. Any cruise is great, so your decisions will be all good!

I agree that value is important, however, when you have school-aged kids as old as mine, I won't take them out of school. So, that being said, my options are quite limited. I would love to take a cruise at the beginning of December or January - no doubt about it, but I just can't.

So, that's why I was asking about June (beginning to middle) versus Christmas when the kids are out of school.

If for no other reason, when would you rather be out of KC weather? June or December?

Charlie

Boy, that's tough . . . we've had some nasty weather at Christmas and then some really nice weather! BUT, it's more probable that it would be snowy in December than in June . . . so weather-wise, I'd say December.

If, as it seems, you are limiting yourself to the Caribbean, I would certainly choose Christmas. Ignoring foul weather possibilities, the Caribbean in high summer is not my idea of fun. It will make K.C. seem cool and dry. :)

Paul

If, as it seems, you are limiting yourself to the Caribbean, I would certainly choose Christmas. Ignoring foul weather possibilities, the Caribbean in high summer is not my idea of fun. It will make K.C. seem cool and dry. :)

Paul

We have so far enjoyed the Caribbean, but have not seen the southern Caribbean -- figured that would be a better time to see it and it appears there are more available itineraries in December as well.

We have so far enjoyed the Caribbean, but have not seen the southern Caribbean -- figured that would be a better time to see it and it appears there are more available itineraries in December as well.
By June, many of the ships have repositioned to Europe which is why you find a better selection in December.

Charlie

I agree that value is important, however, when you have school-aged kids as old as mine, I won't take them out of school. So, that being said, my options are quite limited. I would love to take a cruise at the beginning of December or January - no doubt about it, but I just can't.

So, that's why I was asking about June (beginning to middle) versus Christmas when the kids are out of school.

Caribbean in December is probably a better choice. Isn't there a chance of hurricanes in June-August?

I think there are some values to be found no matter when you travel. Just summer seems to be more limited. Some dates in December after school is out would still fit your requirements.

I think you can search a particular ship and see pricing for all available dates.

Hello,

I vote for June and not to stat any arguments on this board or confuse you, but there are some excellent 10 day cruises from San Francisco round trip to Alaska that are very reasonable in terms of price. There is a lot to see and do in Alaska, especially for young people and families.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Hello,

I vote for June and not to stat any arguments on this board or confuse you, but there are some excellent 10 day cruises from San Francisco round trip to Alaska that are very reasonable in terms of price. There is a lot to see and do in Alaska, especially for young people and families.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Unfortunately, I have two very spoiled children who have no desire to go to Alaska . . . so what we've decided is that is at the top of the "good, we don't have to take the kids" list. They love the Caribbean and so do we frankly. So, we will be doing the Alaska run w/out them in the next few years. ;)

You didn't mention if this is high school or college graduation.

If you plan something for the following December, you might have to take into consideration whether she will be able to take a break from school or a new job at that time.

The above is a definite item to consider. If on a new job DD may not be eligible for vacation. But if she's in college, the holiday break often begins after the first week of December.

Having grown up in the midwest, I'd vote for a December caribbean cruise. Anything to get away from the cold weather for awhile. (The weather this year is abnormal you know.);)

You didn't mention if this is high school or college graduation.

If you plan something for the following December, you might have to take into consideration whether she will be able to take a break from school or a new job at that time.

She will be graduating from high school . . . and going on to college, however, we will still have another one in junior high, so we're still limited to vacations and summer.

Colleges are usually out for Christmas.

We had the same problem, our oldest DD was graduating from HS and the other was a sophmore. So we decided to go the first available after they were out of school for the summer (in OK is mid/late May). Boy what a couple of days make in price.:( We left the 1st June and did the western carribean, surprisingly there weren't a whole lot of kids yet just alot of people. We had a great time and the weather was super!

June or at Christmas?

June - I like the warmer weather - and the seas leaving in the winter tend to be a little more rough - we went in nov and had 15ft seas and 70 mph winds for two days - I had a friend that went two weeks ago and said they had 15ft seas three of the days -

BTW June is not very active for hurricanes because the SST are still low - Do some research on Hurricanes in June and you will find out its very low -

Of course we cruise during sept (height of hurricane season) and we love it.

We love cruising in the winter. so will cast my vote for a December cruise. As you have said, there is more of a selection of cruises to do, we just did 11 days on Celebrity Constellation to Aruba, Panama, Costa Rica, Cozumel, Grand Caymans, and it was just wonderful. Alternating sea days with ports was ideal for us. whatever you chooose I am sure you all will be happy cruisers!!

I'm curious as to why you think there are more kids in December than in June???? Any time that we cruise in June, there are always tons of kids on board the ships.

I agree with the other posters - check out which itinerary sounds good to you and compare the prices for June vs. December. That might make a difference in which one you plan.

Do your kids have similar vacation schedules? Why not look into a cruise during their mid-winter or Easter break?

My gradutation gift was a cruise that I took during spring break before I graduated. When I actually graduted my parents gave me a framed photo from my trip as a reminder.

I'm curious as to why you think there are more kids in December than in June???? Any time that we cruise in June, there are always tons of kids on board the ships.

Uh, at Christmas time there are tons of families with kids. In June, especially the beginning of June, there are still schools in session, especially in the northeast.

Do your kids have similar vacation schedules? Why not look into a cruise during their mid-winter or Easter break?

My gradutation gift was a cruise that I took during spring break before I graduated. When I actually graduted my parents gave me a framed photo from my trip as a reminder.

Our school district doesn't get a mid-winter/Easter vacation -- they do a lot of long weekends but that's it.

June or at Christmas?

Since this is a graduation gift. I would go in June after graduation while she is really still celebrating her graduation. Going in Decemember "to me" would make it feel more like a Christmas celebration than a graduation gift.

Archived