Sensation vs. Majesty of the Seas: need help choosing

bdlee73

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a cruise in early May to celebrate my graduation (finally) from college. We’re looking at the Bahamas as one option due to price- plus my wife has never been to Nassau. I noticed Carnival now runs the Sensation out of Port Canaveral—how is she holding up? I’ve read that the ship went through a refurbishment in dry dock fairly recently and would like to know what has changed. We’re looking at the Majesty of the Seas as another option and know it will be going through refurbishment in January.

Any opinions on which ship to choose?

My Wife and I did the 4 day Bahamas cruise on the Sensation back in September and loved it. (so much so, we are doing the exact same cruise as a cheap getaway at the end of January)

We loved the ship and the staff and had a great time.

The ship was being kept constantly clean, but it does show some wear due to its age.

You can find my full, detailed review in the review section on this site.

Basically if you are going to spend your 3 or 4 days looking for stains in the carpet or minor scratches on door or walls, then you should probably not sail on either the Sensation or Majesty as they are both about the same age.

The Majesty of the Seas pulled into port right next to us in Nassau back in September and it seemed smaller than the Sensation and from the research I did before booking the Sensation in September, apparently the rooms on Carnival ships are larger than RCCL ships.

I just couldn't see paying a higher price for the same cruise on a smaller ship of similar or older age than the Sensation.

Also make sure to check the Bahamas message board in here for great ideas for things to do in Nassau. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

We did Zydecocruiser's free walking tour http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=332656

and the $15 daypass at the British Colonial Hilton and had a great day. (Thanks to great tips from boardmembers on that board)

Whatever you decide have a great trip.

Bill

I have not sailed on the Sensation but did sail the Majesty of the Seas in October. The cabins are miniscule...120 square feet for a regular outside cabin and rather dated. The food was okay in the dining room but not so great on the buffets. They did not have the dining room open for lunch so the buffet was the only option. Service on the ship was actually quite good and activities were fun. We are trying Carnival for the first time in January.

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a cruise in early May to celebrate my graduation (finally) from college. We’re looking at the Bahamas as one option due to price- plus my wife has never been to Nassau. I noticed Carnival now runs the Sensation out of Port Canaveral—how is she holding up? I’ve read that the ship went through a refurbishment in dry dock fairly recently and would like to know what has changed. We’re looking at the Majesty of the Seas as another option and know it will be going through refurbishment in January.

Any opinions on which ship to choose?

Yes, choose Carnival. I've been on several Carnival cruises and enjoyed them all. I've been on an RCCL cruise and found it wanting. The RCCL cruise lacked service and good food. If you order from room service they will promise you that it will be there in 30 minutes. My experience, several hours later if at all. Which ship you choose is up to you. That is my experience.

Archived