Currency on ships and traveller's checks, credit card fees?

wadsworth

I just booked my first cruise and read about using traveller's checks instead of my credit card while on Royal Caribbean's ship.

We are going to ports in Italy, Greece, and Cyprus. We are starting out in Rome. What currency will the ship be using, like when we are buying drinks?

If the ship doesn't use the dollar, will my credit card charge me a fee for converting the price to the dollar?

Thanks!

From what I understand, they use the US Dollar while on board. Anything you spend on shore will be in either the Euro, or whatever the local currency is. If you choose to use your credit card for shore purchases, you may be ( depending on your bank ) a % of the sale for the conversion. I would check into the currency they use in Greece. I know they use the Euro in Italy. Might not be a bad idea to get some Euros before you go.

Tim

I just booked my first cruise and read about using traveller's checks instead of my credit card while on Royal Caribbean's ship.

We are going to ports in Italy, Greece, and Cyprus. We are starting out in Rome. What currency will the ship be using, like when we are buying drinks?

If the ship doesn't use the dollar, will my credit card charge me a fee for converting the price to the dollar?

Thanks!

Welcome!!! to CC and the addiction of cruising, it is really true the only way to get rid of this addiction is to book another cruise.

While on board you will use your sea pass card to purchase any items that the ship has to offer, achol.bev. soft drinks, items in the stores, etc. What you use as a backup for your seapass card is up to you, credit card, money, etc. Those arrangements are made either b4 you ck. in or as you ck. in. Recommend you put that info. on RCL web site after you have paid in full you can get a set sail pass to present to the staff at the terminal, it will speed up your ck. in process. https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/boardingDocuments.do;jsessionid=0000thz-vcmHOsw7NzynW3kTmCr:10ktmeta1?cS=NAVBAR If you plan on sailing again with RCL you need to join Crown & Anchor Society to be able to get credits for your cruise and if you book a suite you will get extra credits.http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/homeLoggedout.do;jsessionid=0000thz-vcmHOsw7NzynW3kTmCr:10ktmeta1 Hope this helps. Have a great cruise. Ozzie63:D :D :D

Hi,

Greece is in European Union & uses Euro. When we were there last year Euro was OK. Legend has been using sterling as it was sailing from UK & catering for UK passengers. However, with Rome being port of departure next year, although not officially advised, I understand that US dollars will be used for onboard payments. When we were on Galaxy in the Eastern Med, Celebrity used commonsense & we were able to use both Euros & US dollars to pay for shipboard a/cs. Hope I can do the same next year.

Mikeicon7.gif

I just booked my first cruise and read about using traveller's checks instead of my credit card while on Royal Caribbean's ship. We are going to ports in Italy, Greece, and Cyprus. We are starting out in Rome. What currency will the ship be using, like when we are buying drinks? If the ship doesn't use the dollar, will my credit card charge me a fee for converting the price to the dollar? Thanks!

Never sailed RCCL in Europe, so do not know what the ship uses.. I see a couple others have mention both sterling and USD. On our trips overseas (with Princess) they have always been USD. Unless, as one poster mentioned, the ship is "aimed" at a particular market like the British, then I would expect USD.

Ashore I suggest the ATM route. They were the best exchange rates and beat the "money changers", hotels and banks. They are everywhere and very convenient. Your can take out whatever you need for a few days and know you can find one again in the next port.

On a side note, here, euro coins can make very interesting souvenirs. Each country in the Euro Zone issues its own coins. One side is the same throughout the whole Euro Zone, whilst the other side is different for each country.

As A European I would say the ATM advice is good advice but also when we have been on the continent we have found that the exchange rate, the booths on land, give on travelers cheques is quite regularly better than the rate we get in England, so travellers cheques might be a good option

Archived