hal dining question

housecall

My family and I will be cruising to alaska in august on the oosterdam. This will be our first hal cruise. I've cruised twice before on ncl.

My question is, are we assigned a table for all three meals/day or just dinner.

We're a group of 6. would we likely be our own table?

also, how formal is evening dining.

thanks joe:)

Just for dinner. Breakfast and lunch are ofered in the dining room, but on a "freestyle" basis. You can also choose to eat in the Lido, cafeteria style.

Have your TA let HAL know all 6 people's booking numbers and have them tied together for dinner seating.

Hi Housecall.... like you we are also travel HAL for the first time with 2 NCL cruises in the past. What we heard about the dining is that you can pick from 2 different times and choose to be put on a table with strangers or just have your own table. You must either call your TA or HAL to let them know though. I also heard the formal is can be either from tux and gowns to either busines suits to just cocktail dresses.

Hope it helps

Can't wait for our first Hal cruise.

You will love the Oosterdam! All the Vista class ships are wonderful!

And as far as food -- you have sooo many choices! The hardest part is deciding what you want to do.

For breakfast:

You can put out the card the night before, and get a Continental Breakfast delivered at the time you ask.

You can call Room Service and order a full breakfast from the dining room menu.

You can go up to the buffet and find an amazing selection, everything from pancakes to omelettes to order to cold meat and cheeses and even oriental soups!

You can go to the dining room, which will be open seating. Usually you will be seated at a table with others, although if your group of six goes together you can probably get a separate table. The dining room will have special things like Belgian waffles and Eggs Benedict.

All these options are complimentary.

Or you can just go to the coffee bar for specialty coffee and pastries (but that is an extra charge.)

For lunch:

Once again, the buffet! The Vista class buffet will really knock your eyes out. The ice cream station will be open too, and the great salad bar, plus the sandwich station, the Italian station and a selection of hot foods, plus the pizza station.

You can order room service, things like club sandwiches are always available and during the dining room hours you can order from the menu.

The dining room will again be open seating, and usually features a specialty sandwich like a Monte Crisco, a specialty salad like Cobb salad, and other goodies.

And the burger bar next to the pool has burgers, brats, and chicken, plus I think tacos.

At least one afternoon there will be a Dutch high tea, too.

For dinner, the dining room is your best bet. This is when you will have an assigned table and an assigned wait staff who will get to know you. (I love it when they remember every evening to bring me a little bowl of lemon slices for my water!) There are two seatings, early and late, about 6 and about 8:30 (and each of them is divided in to upper and lower about 15 minutes apart) Your group may be assigned a table for six, or seated with a few others. Ask your TA to put in a request for you, and if you like you can check with the maiter d' as soon as you board and ask for what you want. The dining room menu is wonderful and has lots of appetizers, soups and salads, and for the main course always features a hearty beef dish, a great seafood dish, and usually some specialties. The Indonesian specialties are especially good since all the dining room staff are Indonesian!

However, if you like you can again order from room service or go to the buffet for dinner too. The show schedule is normally arranged around the two dinner seatings so you won't miss the entertainment whichever seating you have.

Most evenings dining is "resort casual" which basically means no shorts, t-shirts or halter tops! Nice slacks and a collared shirt for men, slacks or a simple dress for ladies are great. Two nights will be "formal" which means a tie for the gent and a dress for the lady. Personally, we like to really dress up those nights so I wear a tux and Renée wears a long gown with a fancy jacket, but we are probably the minority. You will see lots of men in dark suits and ladies in party dresses or go to church dresses. If you think you look good, you will look good! It is a great chance to get a formal portrait taken!

HMMMM -- do I seem to be waxing enthusiastic about the food on HAL! Indeed I am!! You will love every bite of it!;) Check out our page below for reports on the Zuiderdam, sister ship to the Oosterdam.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Is it possible that HAL will expand the flexible dining option to more ships between now and August , 2007? If this is the case, the OP may have a wider window in which to dine although still not the same as NCL.

Please see this link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=8585684&postcount=6

It is directly related to a meeting I had with the Hotel Manager on Noordam concerning the dining "Tests" being conducted on both Noordam and Oosterdam. You will still be assigned a table number for dinner and be eithwer early or late seating. This link contains the exact letter (through a second link) which you will receive with your documents if the "tests" continue or if HAL decides to stick with what is currently being practiced on Noordam.

Archived