Dog on Constellation

espmass

I have followed this thread with interest as I am an avid dog person. The links for the service animals and relevant case law are intriguing and informative. I also have personal knowledge of many service animals and also the matter involving the service pig and a major airline serveral years ago. However, I have also been rather dismayed at some of the opinions that have been posted. Undoubtedly, I will be on the lookout in future roll calls for some of these posters.

As I write this, I am recovering from having a double knee replacement and am therefore among the temporarily (hopefully!) disabled. I can not believe how much I took for granted and am now missing. Honestly, it scares me to do some of the normal every day things that were formerly no-brainers. Leaving the house for physical therapy for example is its own major event.

I am saying this simply to remind others of 2 things:

1. Admire and celebrate the courage of those individuals who are conquering their disabilities and continuing on, as well as enjoying life! Whether it is a 3lb maltese or something else, it is helping a person have a life again!!!!

2. Always remember, that given any twist of fate , it could be you instead.

Cheers to all for a happy and healthy new year!

this woman was able to sit at a different table for dinner each night....

wonder who approved that? and how was that arranged?

Amanda

Why didn't you ask your waiter? He / She (musn't make assumptions) seemed to know all about her..............not!!!!

For the record, other passengers invited her to their table which they had every right to do, as when I last read my history we won the war which would have stopped us from living in a democracy. We live in a free world and within reasons of law, morals and decency we are entitled to do what we wish.

I am not a religious person, as I prefer to think freely without constraints, but I will say to all those who do not or can not understand any kind of disability and the needs that people with disabilities have......."There but for the grace of God".

I give all of you credit for keeping alive a thread that should have ended before it is written.

Maybe the thread actually confirms what is wrong in this world.

• Failure to accept people for their differences.
  • Failure to respect others when your actions might offend
  • Fear that others are receiving better treatment then ourselves
  • Willingness to ensure that those disadvantaged don't receive privledges
  • A need by all of us to judge, and not to accept.

Take a moment, put yourself in the shoes of the other person and see how you could make things better.

I know that this may sound preachy but coming from a non-religious person, put it as simple as this. If we act this way about a cruise, how do we expect the governments we ellect or support to fix the problems of today.

Are they not doing the same, looking out for their best interests not that of us all.

"This has been a very interesting debate. I come away from it wondering why on earth so many people are emotionally challenged to the point of needing therapy animals to cope. Sorry to sound like I am from the dark ages but my parents taught me coping skills."

The occasional 'therapy animal' does not bother me as much as the emotionally challenged that feel they need to grip onto their cells phones like they would die with out them, or the families that give their kids the walkie talkies because they don't trust them and feel the need to be in touch ALL THE TIME.

Unless the service/therapy animal did something to directly negatively influence my trip ( chewed on my stuff, relieved itself consistantly in an unappropriate place, or barked, howled persistantly )....personally I don't think it would be any of my damned business to why or what circumstance it was aboard.

What does affect my experiences directly are screaming infants and toddlers, persistant cell phone abusers and the idiotic ringtones they crank up to full volume as if they were deaf, and simply inconsiderate people and children.

The dog was ALLOWED onboard. Whether it served a medical purpose or not is no ones business.

Dave:eek:

BTW: as from being in the dark ages...I travel frequently and don't own a cell phone. I also have a barrage of pets that are taken care of quite well when I go on vacation. I also know a number of people who have service animals, and I would hope that if some of you posters that are being critical in this thread ever need assistance for blindness, epilepsy or another ailment that you are treated with respect and without question, unlike you are treating the person in the OP.

"

The dog was ALLOWED onboard. Whether it served a medical purpose or not is no ones business.

Strongly Disagee. I for one do not want to get on a ship where non-medical purposes are served and people bring pets just for fun. So if the cruiselines decide to take a blase approach, I'll take a pass on the Ark.

Sorry to sound like I am from the dark ages but my parents taught me coping skills."

The occasional 'therapy animal' does not bother me as much as the emotionally challenged that feel they need to grip onto their cells phones like they would die with out them, or the families that give their kids the walkie talkies because they don't trust them and feel the need to be in touch ALL THE TIME.

Amen to that!!!!!!!

"Strongly Disagee. I for one do not want to get on a ship where non-medical purposes are served and people bring pets just for fun. So if the cruiselines decide to take a blase approach, I'll take a pass on the Ark."

I would hardly call one animal whether its purpose is being questioned or not, an "ARK".

As for pets on board, My friends that do use service animals rarely take cruise vacations for the simple fact that the paperwork to bring along their 'helpers' including the verification of shots and vaccinations is enough to deter the majority of them. The animals also need permission to go ashore and reboard after being in a foreign port which is another load of paperwork.

So I don't see people just dragging FIDO onboard with them just for fun.

Remarks like the one you made do nothing but perpetuate assumptions, and create bias against any service animal that may be a necessity for an individual.

Strongly Disagee. I for one do not want to get on a ship where non-medical purposes are served and people bring pets just for fun. So if the cruiselines decide to take a blase approach, I'll take a pass on the Ark.

That's a choice that you have every right to make. Just make sure that you let the cruise line know that you don't want to cruise with animals and to let you know if any will be on board.

jaz let's be clear so this idea doesn't go too far sideways. I have no desire to cruise with animals on a cruiseline that is indifferent to purpose. Other posters have suggested on this thread that it is no ones business. It is in fact my business is as it is any other interested party to understand their environment. When I go to a hotel these things are perfectly clear, No Pets Allowed is the usual rule. A cruise ship is no different. Having said that, and to make this point very clear, I have no issue with service animals, I have concerns with cheaters cheapening needs. Simple.

"I have no issue with service animals, I have concerns with cheaters cheapening needs. Simple."

I must have misunderstood your thoughts. I agree with your statement above.

However Hotels in the U.S. allow service animals even if a 'No pets/animals' policy is in order.

I'm jumping in here because it's necessary for folks to understand the substance of the issue, not the appearance.

As with the never ending handicap parking issue, outrage is expressed when an outwardly appearing fully functioning person parks in a H/C spot and walks into a store. The observer likely has no idea whether the person has an infirmity or is a callous jerk, so assumes the worst.

Same here. Service animals are used in an ever expanding list of circumstances, most of which most of us are unqualified to evaluate.

Back to the H/C parking question. That 180 pound fit looking man with a bounce in his step that just parked in a H/C place might be on his way into the store to help his disabled wife who may not be able to function at all without her husband back to the vehicle.

That cute Chihuahua you see on board with that lady may be the one thing that creates the emotional balance for the owner, who, finally, has been able to enjoy what the rest of us take for granted.

Remember the old Indian saying, "Before I condemn a brother, let me walk in his moccasins for 3 months."

Sadly, the level of vitriol and personal comments continued on this thread that had to be removed has made it necessary to close it to further posts. As Host of the Disabled Cruisers board I was happy to see this subject getting a good deal of great and thoughtful discussion on a regular message board. However when religion, politics and a lack of tolerance for those with special needs enters into the discussion, it must be closed.

Archived