Passports

Rhonnda

When you leave the ship, do you normally take your passports along? I've often wondered if you miss the ship and don't have documentation with you, what happens? Friends of ours take their passports with them, but I don't know what to do with them at the beach. I'd never leave them unattended.

Thanks for your answers.

This question comes up from time to time. You will find that many folks take their passports with them for the reason that you mention.

In our case we don't. Now part of the reason is that when we cruise in places such as Europe the cruise lines that we are on actually hold the passports for the passenger's so we don't have the option anyway. What we do is make a copy of them. Now that we are used to that, even if the cruise line didn't hold onto them that's what we would do. We would leave the original on the ship and take a copy with us.

Here's what it comes down to. If you miss the ship you will likely need the original to fly to wherever you need to get to. But if you carry the original with you, rather than a copy, there is risk that it will be lost, or stolen. In our case, we are more worried about it being lost or stolen that we would be willing to take the risk of not having the original with us.

Again, many folks on these boards say no way. They will always carry the original with them. And then other folks like me say we'd rather keep the original on the ship.

In the end, do what you feel most comfortable with.

Keith

Keith is correct. This question gets about 50/50 answers, to take or not to take.;)

I would never be on foreign soil without my passport. Period. I don't carry a copy, only the original, and make sure I don't lose it. One big thing is that IF you incur a problem and need your passport, the island/country officials most likely won't accept a COPY... (Copies can be altered.)

Your call.:)

It has been said to make a copy of it, well that does work in alot of countries. I have read on a Croatian travel site, that a copy will not work, you MUST have the original. We are going to Croatia next year, so this was of special interest to us.

Personally, I would never leave home without it. Kinda like that american express card I dont have.

Tim

When you leave the ship, do you normally take your passports along? I've often wondered if you miss the ship and don't have documentation with you, what happens? Friends of ours take their passports with them, but I don't know what to do with them at the beach. I'd never leave them unattended.

Thanks for your answers.

THe others have stated many correct, if not agreed upon opinions/options. But be advised there are water proof wallets out there that many people use.

As mentioned above, you should always have your original passport with you when in a foreign country. If you are going to the beach, one person from your party will have to hang on to them while the others go in the water. Otherwise, I'd really do a thorough test of any "waterproof" wallet before using it.

As mentioned above, you should always have your original passport with you when in a foreign country. If you are going to the beach, one person from your party will have to hang on to them while the others go in the water. Otherwise, I'd really do a thorough test of any "waterproof" wallet before using it.

If you are on a cruise where the ship is holding your passport, you are doubly lucky.

1. It is securely held in a very large safe onboard. It can't be stolen or lost.

2. If something happens to you on shore, the ship will give your passport to the ship's agent, who is then responsible to take care of all the requirements for getting you out of the country safely.

When I was in Montreal (a place which, because of the people I have met, I can't stand), I was in the middle of a b2b. I strolled off the ship, walked around a bit and then returned. At the pierside gate, I showed my ship i.d. and driver's license. The smart-@ attendant said, "And your passport, please???" probably thinking it was still on the ship. I smiled back, with frost hanging off it, and whipped the PP out. "Sorry I ruined your day," I thought to myself. "But I expected that when I came to this rotten city; I've been here before and been put down every time by customs, by security and now by jerks like you."

Montreal is the only place I carry my PP. Ship's card and DL suffice everywhere else, if you don't plan on missing the ship.

Archived