Dive Review- Grand Cayman

cruzegirl

Dive Review:

Date---------- 12/12/06

Port of Call- Grand Cayman

Dive shop--- Divers Down

2 Tank Dive

I was scheduled to do the Stingray City dive with Divers Down. But the couple I was going to dive with had heard about storms and possible cancel of the dives. So we got up early with the rest of our dive group, Carnival Valor Scuba Cruise and went to Divers Down. Turns out the Stingray City dive would be canceled. So we signed up to go out to dive with the rest of our group. I have to admit being disappointed about missing the Stingray City dive but glad I was out with the group…

They have a medium size, formal dive shop. They have the books, supplies, gear right there. I was impressed. I don’t know the size of the boat but it handled 12 divers decently. It has a small canopy for those that need it.

Our dive masters were Paul and Matty. A very funny duo…. With a joke I can’t quite repeat here. Lol…. Our first dive site was Little Dipper. There is a wall there with lot’s of coral and so many fish I couldn’t keep track. We did our deep dive first, with the plan to dive shallow on the 2nd dive.

My first dive I went to 100 ft. That was my deepest dive thus far. No, I didn’t get narced, though I was watching for it. We were there approx. 10 minutes and then went to 50 ft. for the average depth thereafter. This dive lasted 26 minutes for me. Others got more time but I was so excited, I used my air quickly. I loved it all… Lot’s to see.

Then for our 2nd dive we went to Spanish Anchor. The dive masters did not dive with us on that dive. They often go back out in the afternoon so didn’t want to get into decompression mode on the day of dives. Plus they felt we were experienced divers & should be able to dive by ourselves. This dive started off poorly for me. They help you w/the gear and as I sat there, I couldn’t find my computer gauge. They helped me find it and in I went. However at the anchor line I discovered it was caught under my cumberbun. Another tried to help me & we couldn’t get it loose. So I went to the step to get in, got it un-caught, waited a minute and down I went. It turned out to be an excellent dive. They gave a thorough dive briefing and off we went. For this dive the average depth was 55-60 ft. This dive lasted 43 minutes.

I really enjoyed these dives and this dive shop. Very thorough and into safety. We did the giant stride off there boat.

I was diving with a shorty wetsuit and was quite warm. But next time I will bring a full dive skin with me. Just for exposure protection both from critters and coral. Also, they don’t provide any snack or meal on the surface interval. So bring something along to eat. I think I covered it all…. Any questions, feel free to ask…. I’ll try to answer….

As hard as I have tried to avoid touching the coral - surge has slammed me into it before. So while I have complete respect for the sea life underneath (as I believe the OP does) contact with coral does occasionally happen. My dive shop taught me to always wear protection for such instances.

L.T.C.,

You know sometimes thing come across wrong from what one posted to how it's perceived. And some posts don't deserve responses.... But quite frankly, yours ticked me off... It came across as insinuating I was poor on buoyancy and bouncing off the coral. Nice try.....Not the case.... As jwmcq said, "sometimes surge pushes into the coral"..... Especially in swim throughs..... So before judging someone, maybe you should think there could be an alternative to what you think happened......Just a thought......;)

jwmcq,

Thanks for your input.... that's exactly what happened.... And while it was just a scrape on the arm, a skin would have helped.... :p

Archived