NCL Virgin :)

lunyma

Although I've been on 20+ cruises, I have never sailed on NCL, until now... Well... Almost. I booked the Pearl for January 28th, and have been so out of the *loop* so to speak, so I really have no idea what I've gotten myself in to. Any info on NCL, and the Pearl would be deeply appreciated. I'm working in a different field now (too many hours), and have not had a lot of time to do any research. This booking was on a *whim*, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Some of you, btw, may remember me from a few years ago as Host Luny (Carnival Board), or just as Lunyma, from various places :)

I'm really looking forward to this cruise, and the Freestyle experience.

Thanks!

wELL RIGHT NOW IF YOU READ SOME OF MY POSTS i AM NOT REAL FAVORABLE ABOUT NCL ANY SHIP. wE ARE BOOKED ON THE PEARL12/22 AND THEY JUST MESSED UPO ROYALLY AND ARE INSISTING ON BEING VERY NASTY ABOUT ITSO RUN BAMBI RUN KIDRN:eek:

wELL RIGHT NOW IF YOU READ SOME OF MY POSTS i AM NOT REAL FAVORABLE ABOUT NCL ANY SHIP. wE ARE BOOKED ON THE PEARL12/22 AND THEY JUST MESSED UPO ROYALLY AND ARE INSISTING ON BEING VERY NASTY ABOUT ITSO RUN BAMBI RUN KIDRN:eek:

I know youre mad,, but get over it already....

how would you like your whole itenerary changed....thats what happened to us,,, and we ended up loving the cruise so much , we went again in the same year.

just do what someone else said on one of your many other threads, put 1 adult in each room , and enjoy it .. dont let this make you tell people to not go on NCL,,

at least they gave you 200$ ship credit, just for moving you 5 doors away , thats good , we got 50$ for a completley changed itenerary..

so be happy with that and enjoy your cruise ...

We have been on RCCI and Celeberty and enjoyed those. Our last 3 cruises have been on NCL and on the older ships (Dream, Sea, Wind) and had a good cruise. Now we are going on a ship built for their Freestyle and are going on 1/1/07 and are excited to go.

We liked RCCI and Cleberty was okay. Enjoyed NCL. Maybe we are too easy.

You'll end up loving Freestyle and won't go back to the other lines! Well, hopefully.

A few tips:

If you are an early diner, wait until 5:45 or so and miss the opening and the long line at 5:30 at the main restaurants.

Speciality surcharge restaurants are half price if booked before 6:30.

Express disembarkation has turned into Mass disembarkation. Wait a hour and a half and get off easily without a crowd.

READ the Freestyle Daily - lots of info re: restaurant/dining rooms (opening times, which restaurants are pay-extra, which need reservations, any specials, any theme nights in the dining rooms or buffet), entertainment (what, where and when) and any IMPORTANT info like schedule changes, disembarkation procedures etc.

On an NCL cruise you have to take a little more personal responsibility (deciding when and where to dine etc) but if you use the tools at hand (like the Freestyle Daily and as you are doing - researching) the chances are you will have a good time.

BTW: Good advice about NOT lining up at 5:30 waiting for the dining room to open - I have no idea why people do this when all they have to do is delay a few minutes until the first rush is seated and then they can virtually walk in without delay. When we dine early we always wait until at leat 5:45 or 6PM and have never had to wait to be seated at those times.

Note if you are especially keen on eating at one of the specialty restaurants on a specific day and time, make your reservations early (like the first day).

P.S. Good disembarkation advice - stay on the ship as long as you can rather than rushing off with the crowd - you can stay in your cabin.

My guess is, if you are looking forward to your experience you will have a great time. What more could you ask for, a new, more flexible way of cruising compared with a brand new ship. Although some do not like freestyle and to each his own, it seems to be the wave of the future. I would suggest you try and plan your dining (main dining rooms that is) before 7pm or after 8pm, if you are going to enjoy the specialty dining rooms, any of them try and reserve the first day or so. I know, some say this isn't freestyle? Of course it is, you will still be choosing the time you want to eat and no one is suggesting you plan your entire 7 nights or so the first night.

Be sure and try as many eateries as possible, this is one of the things that sets NCL apart from other lines.

Of course the entertainment is something that, like food, is very subjective, but I think you will find it good to outstanding, especailly the Jean Ryan company dancers.

To us, freestyle is the only way to cruise and NCL has the friendliest crew at sea, bar none. You should have a great cruise. NMNita

ok, we know you are disappointed, but if you don't calm down you will spoil your cruise, not only for yourself but your entire family. These things do happen, the kids are not on another deck, you got a good OBC and there isn't too much else that could be done regardless of what you may think. Now go, enjoy your holiday and forget it. No sense making everyone miserable!!!! NMnita

Thanks for the suggestions. We ARE planning on trying a different restaurant each night. I didn't know that the surcharge restaurants were half price before 6:30, but will take that in to account. I'm hoping to make all my dinner reservations when we board. We normally don't eat that early when we cruise, but will probably do it on the pricier selections. I also did hear about disembarkation, and since my flight doesn't leave Miami till 3:45 on that day, I'm hoping to be the LAST one off the ship! No rushing here!!!

As for kidrn... I haven't had a chance to read a lot on this board yet, but it sounds to me as if you're going on this cruise with a bad attitude. Ya know what? You're obviously gonna look for fault in everything, and I can almost guarantee that you're gonna have a bad time. It wouldn't matter if it was NCL or any other cruise line. When I sold cruises, I would always tell my clients... The best advice for ANYONE... First time cruiser or repeat cruiser... Go with a good attitude and you'll have a good time. You've already screwed yourself...

What are the ages of the persons who are being put 5 cabins away from you?:confused:

If your approach with NCL reps is anything like your posts, you have set the tone for the response which you are receiving from the reps.

Go - Have a Great Cruise, and don't let one single thing spoil your cruise. Try to calm down a bit, and post reasonable comments, with a more detailed scenario, someone on CC may be able to assist you.

I'm sure none want to jump into a hornets nest, however.:)

Have a Great Cruise - and Happy Holiday!!

The group I cruise with have only cruised Carnival in the past and we were apprehensive about the differences with NCL. Smaller cabins, freestyle dining, and a couple of other things. I've realized they are small and not insurmountable things - I'm determined to have a good time. I've already planned our dining so I have none of the "what do you want to do's" I dread and I would definitely hear. I still have a fear of a small cabin for 11 days (I'm a little claustrophobic) but it has a balcony to escape to. The differences are outweighed by the fact that I'll be on vacation and not sitting here at my desk!!!!!

Lunyma,

I think you will enjoy it since you seem to enjoy cruising. We have always had a great time on all of our cruises, but seem to be sticking with NCL lately. I would love to see your review and comparison to some of the other lines when you return.

It sure is about attitude, rolling with the punches and being open to another new adventure!

Have a wonderful time.

Jackie

Thanks for the suggestions. We ARE planning on trying a different restaurant each night. I didn't know that the surcharge restaurants were half price before 6:30, but will take that in to account. I'm hoping to make all my dinner reservations when we board. We normally don't eat that early when we cruise, but will probably do it on the pricier selections. I also did hear about disembarkation, and since my flight doesn't leave Miami till 3:45 on that day, I'm hoping to be the LAST one off the ship! No rushing here!!!

As for kidrn... I haven't had a chance to read a lot on this board yet, but it sounds to me as if you're going on this cruise with a bad attitude. Ya know what? You're obviously gonna look for fault in everything, and I can almost guarantee that you're gonna have a bad time. It wouldn't matter if it was NCL or any other cruise line. When I sold cruises, I would always tell my clients... The best advice for ANYONE... First time cruiser or repeat cruiser... Go with a good attitude and you'll have a good time. You've already screwed yourself...

Your attitude will help you enjoy all your cruises I am sure. As for the 1/2 price before a certain hour, this policy can be changed at any time. I have seen them offer it the first night, sometimes the entire cruise, sometimes any time of the night on certain nights. Just pay close attention to your freestyle daily, especially the first day.

Be sure and report back to us and happy cruisin

NMNita

I know youre mad,, but get over it already....

how would you like your whole itenerary changed....thats what happened to us,,, and we ended up loving the cruise so much , we went again in the same year.

just do what someone else said on one of your many other threads, put 1 adult in each room , and enjoy it .. dont let this make you tell people to not go on NCL,,

at least they gave you 200$ ship credit, just for moving you 5 doors away , thats good , we got 50$ for a completley changed itenerary..

so be happy with that and enjoy your cruise ...

Kidrn: Don't listen to these NCL yahoos who will defend NCL to the end of time. Keep fighting and keep telling your story! Maybe then NCL will do something. (one suggestion though, don't use all caps...looks like you are yelling...)

NCL continues to move families and not notify people and the NCL supporters say, just forget about it. This is the third documented instance in less than 9 months of this happening. Who knows how many non CC members this has happened too.

She booked connecting cabins on purpose so that her family COULD be together. Instead of moving someone else, NCL choose someone in connecting cabins. (maybe everybody else was too important...)

Melika: was your family seperated when they changed your itinerary? NO. Would you want your family seperated by five cabins and find out about it at the pier? (which would have happened had Kidrn not double checked her rooms). I don't think so. I have no problems accepting itinerary changes, those happen BUT this situation was totally avoidable if NCL corporate had at least half a brain.

Finally Cruise Critic is about giving those who come on here ALL of our opinions, good and bad. The bad needs to be told too.

IMO, NCL has the best ships and crews in the business, but the worst customer service and shoreside management in the business. They are inept and do not care about problems that customers face. When you write them, they say sorry and end it there. (or they deny it). They fired someone for excercising their right of free speech and posting positive comments about their line on Cruise Critic.

All information about the cruise line should be out there for the potental cruisers to see. To present just the positives or to attack posters who post negatives is just not fair.

ok, we know you are disappointed, but if you don't calm down you will spoil your cruise, not only for yourself but your entire family. These things do happen, the kids are not on another deck, you got a good OBC and there isn't too much else that could be done regardless of what you may think. Now go, enjoy your holiday and forget it. No sense making everyone miserable!!!! NMnita

She is not making me miserable. Keep telling your story Kidrn!

Yes, you are right, the kids aren't on another deck, but now the parents will have to be seperated and a family trip is not what they had been planning for many months due to NCL's blunder.

$50 OBC per person as compensation...please, sounds like a prank gift on Let's Make a Deal.........

You are right though, these things of moving people's cabins resulting in seperating familes and not telling them does happen....seems like an awful lot lately on NCL.

Finally Cruise Critic is about giving those who come on here ALL of our opinions, good and bad. The bad needs to be told too.

IMO, NCL has the best ships and crews in the business, but the worst customer service and shoreside management in the business. They are inept and do not care about problems that customers face. When you write them, they say sorry and end it there. (or they deny it). They fired someone for exercising their right of free speech and posting positive comments about their line on Cruise Critic.

All information about the cruise line should be out there for the potential cruisers to see. To present just the positives or to attack posters who post negatives is just not fair.

Is it possible that more of the replies do agree with the OP?

Encouragement for someone to enjoy their vacation does not make a person an NCL supporter - whatever that implies, nor does it make anyone a Yahoo!.

She is not making me miserable. Keep telling your story Kidrn!

Yes, you are right, the kids aren't on another deck, but now the parents will have to be seperated and a family trip is not what they had been planning for many months due to NCL's blunder.

$50 OBC per person as compensation...please, sounds like a prank gift on Let's Make a Deal.........

You are right though, these things of moving people's cabins resulting in seperating familes and not telling them does happen....seems like an awful lot lately on NCL.

you know I didn't mean "everyone" as in you or me, I meant her family. As for giving both the positive and negatives: of course this board is for that, but when we do post regardless we know we may hear from others who disagree with us. You seem to think just because someone (me, as well as others) tell her to try and enjoy herself and not dwell on this as defending NCL. I, for one am not, I just think it is time for her to relax and plan for a positive experience. As for the $200 OBC what would you think was fair? A free cruise? NMNita

Archived