Can you hire a taxi and driver ???

MLS1227

My wife and I along with her sister and husband (4 of us) are first time sailing on the "Grandeur of the Seas" on 2/10/07. We will have port calls in Grand Caymen and Cozumel. We don't plan on taking any scheduled tours but just want to explore the island. We have thought about renting a car but figure we will probably crash it and be sitting in the hospital (or jail) :eek: when the ship sails. Has anyone ever "hired" a taxi and driver for about 4 or 5 hours that would just drive you around and wait on you if you want to stop and shop or look at things? If so, what is the normal cost and do they have people hanging around the piers for this? I think we would rather do that than rent and drive ourselves.

I'm also going to post this on the Cozumel board. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike S.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike. We did this in Grand Cayman in 2003. Not planned - we missed our excursion! Hubby left his wallet in the cabin, with all cash, cards etc, and we only realised once we were ashore, so he had to get tender back to ship to get it - took a while!

Anyway, once he made it back on shore, we were advised by RCI rep that we could still see the island by taking a private taxi tour. There were just 2 of us, and we had a cab for about 2 hours, from memory. We went to hell first, on the advice of the driver, to avoid the coach parties. Great advice, we were there with only 6 other people. Then we did the Turtle Farm, and our driver got us a discount on admission! spent ages here, and she waited for us outside. Loved the Turtle Farm - will go back again. Then we asked to see some of the 'real' Cayman, where the locals live, not the hotels, and we got a personal tour with commentary about history and traditions - wonderful. We came back via 7 mile beach, although we chose not to stop here, but to try rum cake instead, then shopping.

All this for $40 between us - amazing value. Our driver was Ursula, and she was great. I understand that the taxis on Cayman are regulated, and so should be reasonably priced. Also, we always felt safe and secure, but could not say the same for Cozumel.

Hope this helps, we just stopped at the taxi line at the cruise port, explained what we wanted and agreed price/timescale/where we wanted to go - best day out on that particular cruise!

Have fun!

Archived