Mexico: don't drink the water-fact or fiction?

constructiondude

I was told by several US water researchers that Baja water is generally safe for consumption. I have a very weak stomach and need to be careful, but I had no problems in Cabo San Lucas. I had drinks and ate at hotels and in town.

It is my understanding that the water is only one thing that CAN carry parasites, etc that will make you ill. Many of the traveller's enemies are also transported to your food by improper food handling (too long out of the frig or not kept cold enough while there, food handled by people whose hands are unclean -- especially if they do not wash each time they use the rest room -- and produce that has been fertilized with "natural fertilizer" (i.e. sewage) or unclean water).

So, even if the water is safe there are still dangers. To be honest many of those dangers exist in our country also (witness recent events with spinich and lettuce) -- however, they do occur much less frequently here because sanitation is better all around.

Everyone should inform themselves of the facts and risks and choose a path that they are comfortable with.

What the heck does "generally safe" and "pretty much safe" mean? Either it is or it isn't.

Some people won't drink the water on the ship. Since our local blood bank will not accept my blood donation after having visited Mexico on a cruise, no-no for us on the water and the food. As for those that have a condo or live there, perhaps their systems have adapted. The residents don't get sick do they?

As for those that have a condo or live there, perhaps their systems have adapted. The residents don't get sick do they?
From TravelYucatan.com a web site promoting travel to the Yucatan, I found 2 statements on the same page:
MYTH: Mexican people can drink their water because they are used to it, but it makes foreigners sick.

Bad water is bad water; it makes anyone who drinks it sick, even Mexicans.

And
Bacteria and the toxins that cause traveler's diarrhea occur in areas with contaminated water supplies, poor sewage systems, or inadequate food handling. People living in these areas often don't get sick because their bodies have developed some degree of immunity.

So, it would appear that even the people encouraging you to visit don't really know.

Charlie

You may be surprised to learn that many Mexicans who visit the USA suffer the same gastrointestinal problems after drinking the water there.

Often it is not so much the fact that the water or food is bad, but that certain individuals cannot tolerate the different forms of bacteria that exist in other parts of the world.

I have lived and worked in many countries all over the world. I eat and drink just about anything and everything. I never have problems. Other people travel a few hundred miles from home and get sick immediately.

Regardless of how adaptable your personal physiology might be, using common sense with food and drink while on holiday will probably save you a lot of unnecessary grief.

Eating in a restaurant that has no sign of any refrigeration or dishwashing facilities is generally a risky proposition - anywhere in the world.

Archived