Pride of Hawaii Dec 4

Captain Canuck

Here's a cut & paste of your review:

Pride of Hawaii Dec 4

The ship was great. There were some problems with service but overall it was fine. We had trouble getting towels in the evening (gave up on turn down service after the first evening).

Service in the restaurants was mostly pretty good except the last night in the Italian restaurant where my appetizer, salad and entree were all served at the same time. By the time I got around to my entree it was dead cold.

Getting a balcony cabin is a waste of money in Hawaii. We did not have one but people with us did. All the docks are industrial and not very pretty. As you are in port all day this is the only scenery to see during the day. You can enjoy the Pali coast but a window or being on deck is likely as good.

We made the mistake of renting from Thrifty. They were ok in some ports but Kauai was a disaster. The shuttle driver was 45 minutes later than any other company and he was then abusive to all the customers. I had the Thrifty membership which was supposed to give me faster access to my reserved car. I got to wait in line behind everybody including those without

reservations. Service was slow and unfriendly.

This cruise is for the ports. Don't take it for the ambience of the cruise but as transportation.

Getting a balcony cabin is a waste of money in Hawaii. We did not have one but people with us did. All the docks are industrial and not very pretty. As you are in port all day this is the only scenery to see during the day. You can enjoy the Pali coast but a window or being on deck is likely as good.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this. We never spend much time in the room so on other cruises haven't cared. In November on the Dawn, the chair hogs were out in full force during the sail away from Nassau. We gave up our table so a couple could sit and eat and we went back to our balcony.

p.s. The quote is actually from Capt Canuck not mbisson.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this. We never spend much time in the room so on other cruises haven't cared. In November on the Dawn, the chair hogs were out in full force during the sail away from Nassau. We gave up our table so a couple could sit and eat and we went back to our balcony.

Well, I haven't taken the cruise yet, but I've done o/v and balconies. Personally, I prefer the balconies... we can choose to relax by ourselves, and not worry about anyone else

IMHO, but again it's just MHO, a balconey IS NOT a waste. We had an aft balcony on POAloha and a port side balcony on POAmerica, and absolutely loved it. The scenary while sailing down the NaPali coast and viewing the lava flow in relative privacy was great. Particularly with the Napali coast, it was a highlight of the trip.

All that said, is a balcony necessary to enjoy both? Probobly not. Just plan to be topside and stake a claim on the port side or aft for the trip down the NaPali well in advance, as the chair mongors are out in force, early. We're doing inside cabins on our POH trip next month mainly because we have done balconies on this itinerary twice and decided to save the cash for shore based activities. But if I were a first time Hawaii cruiser on this itinerary, I would strongly recommend a balcony IF the budget allowed and didn't take away from things you'll be able to do ashore.

For the volcano viewing, stake a claim on the starboard side, and bring a sweatshirt, especially if your sailing in the winter months. Don't assume the ship will stop and do a 360 turn - it did not do this on our POAm sailing.

True, the ports are in industrial areas. While actually in port, your starboard side views in Kaui are really quite nice. In Maui, port side faces the smelly dumpsters. Also great starboard side views sailing into Hilo. Kona anchors and tenders, so which side doesn't matter.

As always, Just MHO. I hope everyone had a blessed and Christ filled Chistmas holiday, and our wishes to all for a happy and healthy New Year!

A balcony is NOT a waste of money on this cruise, IMO. We always do a balcony because it's important to us and we do spend a fair amount of time in our stateroom and on the balcony. On our PoH cruise, we spent time on the balcony each day and at night while the ship was cruising (as well as for the Na Pali coast viewing).

beachchick

We have a beautiful room on the now cancelled Sun. The prices on the pride ships are much higher and I'm just trying to anticipate what might be offered and where we will have to compromise.

Again, thanks for everyone's input. We had a room on the Star with a big balcony. We have been reassigned to the Pride of Aloha to a suite. I haven't heard others' responses to their changes, but NCL definately took very good care of us on this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived