Baltic ship tours

aprildream

So many people here are doing there own thing but I plan on doing the ship tours. The NCL tours I probably will do include a visit to Christiansborg Palace in Copenhagen,Schwerin Castle in Germany, Porvoo in Finland,Neva River cruise in St. Petersburg,the Royal Palace and Old Town in Stockholm, and Upper Town and Kradiorg Palace in Tallin. I am also seeing the Hermitage and Catherines Palce in St. Petersburg but I already know they are worth the visit. Any input on these places to see? Most of them also include a "ride through the picturesque countryside" or city sights. I imagine the tours pretty much see the same things on the other ships others may have been on but would really appreciate some input from others on the Dream. Thanks.:)

aprildream - We were on the Dream last August and did a sort of 50/50 with our excursions. If I can recall:

Warnemunde - NCL. A morning walking tour which took us around the town and to an organ recital in a local church. Afternoon to a monestary (can't remember the name) and a short ride on a steam train. Certainly enjoyable.

Tallin - The old city is within walking distance of the port. We also took the HoHo on 2 of the 3 different routes.

St Petersburg (Day 1) - NCL. A whole day excursion. Morning was a trip around the city with lots of opportunities for photos. Then an hour or so to Catherine's Palace which was preceded with lunch in a local restaurant. Glad we chose this one. Catherine's Palace is phenomenal.

St Petersburg (Day 2) - NCL. An afternoon excursion which included a ride on the Metro and visits to some local shops and markets. And, oh yes, the almost obligatory vodka tasting. Wow! Can you believe that they actually make horseradish and lemon vodka :eek:

Hellsinki - Shuttle bus from the port into the city (10 mins) and then the HoHo for another hour to hour and a half. In hindsight, I would have avoided this. Time left for a some shopping and a walk around the city market. That was good although I resisted the reindeer sausages.

Stockholm - Took the local bus into the city and found our own way around Gamla Stam (Thank you, Rick Steve's "Scandanavia"). Didn't go into the Royal Palace but had a brilliant view of the Changing of the Guard.

Copenhagen - NCL. An early evening canal boat trip which was interesting and scenic and then a bus to the Tivoli Gardens. Disneyworld it is not but worth a visit just to have a look. We overnighted in Copenhagen and had time to take the short walk from where the Dream was berthed to the Royal Palace. We also passed the Little Mermaid statue on the way there. (We will always remember this part of our visit to Copenhagen as it rained, rained and rained :eek: . Got back on board, had a hot shower and then ordered some soup from Room Service - Bliss!)

Hope this is of help. Anything else, just ask.

Archived