Mediterannea Follow Up From 12/16 - 23 Voyage

DaveB

Had a great time. Other than the embarkation, everything was great; from the food to the cleanliness of the ship. Although, I heard that from the grape vine that some people did get sick.

** Embarkation in Miami was a complete joke. It was a temporary setup (ie in tents). You needed to walk about 300 yards from the closest dropoff area to the checkin "tent"; most people has to do this in the rain. We arrived at the around 10:30am, waiting in line about 45 minutes to drop off baggage, walked in the rain to the check in, and waited and about 1 hour to check in. Other folks that we talked to got there about 1pm, and did not get on till 4:30pm.

Costa recognized thier big screw up, and had a 3 hour cocktail party on Thursday night in response. During debarkation, things didn't really change, so be prepared for the "fun" if you are leaving from Miami w/in the near future. My advice would be to get there EARLY!

** The Mediterannea move from Ft Lauderdale to Miami was because they wanted the newer ship (Magica I believe) to dock in Ft Lauderdale.

** When docking at Catalina, and you are not on a ship tour, you will not be permitted to go to the mainland (La Romana).

** No unpublished golf outings at any stops.

** If you have an ajoining balcony, they are permitting the balcony dividers to be opened. Just tell your cabin stewart. Don't try it yourself!!! When they open them, they attach the door to the railing with some sort of bracket so it doesn't slam around in the wind.

Hope this helps for your cruise. Let me know if I could answer anything else.

thanks for the helpful information.

embarkation and debarkation often sucks.

** The Mediterannea move from Ft Lauderdale to Miami was because they wanted the newer ship (Magica I believe) to dock in Ft Lauderdale.

last year, both the Med and Magica docked in Ft lauderdale and alternated east/west carib cruises. was the Med supposed to be docked out of FL and it got switched to Miami?

this week's (dec 24 06) xmas cruise was ported in miami also.

according to costas website the rest of the carib cruises for both magica and med will be out of FL, unless the website is wrong.

makes you wonder though if they switch ports i guess they have to take an empty ship from miami to FL, since you very well could not sail FROM miami and return to FL in lew of people parking their cars at the port of Miami.

Archived