Basically, Costa Maya Must

Lilactress

Before I begin, let me tell you that I travelled to Costa Maya last December, and decided that it was my favorite port out of the 8 cruises I have been on and made sure that this year's cruise itinerary included it. But the part that made Costa Maya so great was NOT Costa Maya, itself. In fact, when you get to Costa Maya, get in a cab right away. The little area that you see as soon as you get off the ship is a tourist trap and a waste of time. Instead take a taxi to Mahahual Beach.

Bottom line, this beach is the most amazing, relaxing beach i have been on in my entire life. A cheap cab ride takes you to PARADISE. My husband, daughter [14] and I sat next to a little hut, right on the beach. My husband gave a small [$10] tip to the waiter and told him to "take care of us". The waiter made sure we were always set on drinks and chips and guacamole, which was delicious. For lunch we had a delicious HUGE lobster, quesadillas, my husband had a few margaritas, I had a few beers, and my daughter drank many sodas. At the end of the day, our whole food expense added up to only $US40. It was AMAZING.

My husband had one of the famous massages everybody on this site talks about. Let me tell you, they were everybit as wonderful as everyone says. Just $15/30-60 i cant remember exactly. I just remember saying "WOW, THIS IS MUCH CHEAPER THAN THE SHIPBOARD SPA". My daughter and i walked along the road where there were little vendors selling beautiful silver and other items.

Over all, this beach is amazing, and i cannot stress to you enough to GET OUT OF COSTA MAYA, and continue on the road in a cheap taxi [about $3/person]. Have fun, I will be back there in just 5 DAYS. YAY, im so excited

I couldn't agree with you more!!!!

I am looking into a cruise for my big birthday this year and I really would love to wind up with another day in Costa Maya! I took a LOT of photos of my day in Majahual which can be found at my photo link below in the album titled Carnival Glory Cruise - Wednesday. As they say....a picture is worth a thousand words :)

Lilactress.....lucky you!! Have a fabulous time!

Don't be shy! Tell us what cafe in Mahajual you had that great time and food for only $40.

Cat's Meow?

Pez Quadro?

Who? I want to go there!!;)

ME TOO~~ Fess up the name so I can go if I can't get through the fence! sounds like you had a wonderfule time! thanks!

I am looking into a cruise for my big birthday this year and I really would love to wind up with another day in Costa Maya! I took a LOT of photos of my day in Majahual which can be found at my photo link below in the album titled Carnival Glory Cruise - Wednesday. As they say....a picture is worth a thousand words :)

Lilactress.....lucky you!! Have a fabulous time!

Your pics are fun! Thanks for sharing!

Please please do share the name of the cafe. We will be there in 18 days and would love to go there.

We went to Cat's Meow. Jorge(George) was our waiter and he treated us like royalty. The margaritas are really very big. The food was great. My husband had cerviche,I can't remember what I had(margarita amnesia),but it was good ,nachos-three of us less than 30.00 dollars,that included 2 large margaritas, the bathrooms were exceptionally clean. Also the owner Barbara stopped the table to talk to us,very nice lady. She greeted all her guests

We went to Cat's Meow. Jorge(George) was our waiter and he treated us like royalty. The margaritas are really very big. The food was great. My husband had cerviche,I can't remember what I had(margarita amnesia),but it was good ,nachos-three of us less than 30.00 dollars,that included 2 large margaritas, the bathrooms were exceptionally clean. Also the owner Barbara stopped the table to talk to us,very nice lady. She greeted all her guests

We will be there next week and just want to be sure I am clear on the location of the Cat's Meow. Is it in Majahual or at the port area? Thanks.:D

Thanks for the info -- can't wait to go there.

We will be there next week and just want to be sure I am clear on the location of the Cat's Meow. Is it in Majahual or at the port area? Thanks.:D

Cat's Meow is in Majahual. The port area was very crowded and too commercial. When we first got there -port area- we did not know which way to go to get to the taxis. We caught a shuttle,and you have to go out of the port area.My hubbie was kinda skittish about this. After we got to Majahual,he really enjoyed himself. There is a girl sitting in a window where you purchase your pass for 3.00. Many people got off at Tequila Beach,it looked nice,this was the first stop. Next stop was in the middle of town. We walked the whole street,you may catch a taxi at the end of the street or the beginning of the street. Pez Quadro also looks nice,they have swing bar seats. The beach is beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...
Before I begin, let me tell you that I travelled to Costa Maya last December, and decided that it was my favorite port out of the 8 cruises I have been on and made sure that this year's cruise itinerary included it. But the part that made Costa Maya so great was NOT Costa Maya, itself. In fact, when you get to Costa Maya, get in a cab right away. The little area that you see as soon as you get off the ship is a tourist trap and a waste of time. Instead take a taxi to Mahahual Beach.

Bottom line, this beach is the most amazing, relaxing beach i have been on in my entire life. A cheap cab ride takes you to PARADISE. My husband, daughter [14] and I sat next to a little hut, right on the beach. My husband gave a small [$10] tip to the waiter and told him to "take care of us". The waiter made sure we were always set on drinks and chips and guacamole, which was delicious. For lunch we had a delicious HUGE lobster, quesadillas, my husband had a few margaritas, I had a few beers, and my daughter drank many sodas. At the end of the day, our whole food expense added up to only $US40. It was AMAZING.

My husband had one of the famous massages everybody on this site talks about. Let me tell you, they were everybit as wonderful as everyone says. Just $15/30-60 i cant remember exactly. I just remember saying "WOW, THIS IS MUCH CHEAPER THAN THE SHIPBOARD SPA". My daughter and i walked along the road where there were little vendors selling beautiful silver and other items.

Over all, this beach is amazing, and i cannot stress to you enough to GET OUT OF COSTA MAYA, and continue on the road in a cheap taxi [about $3/person]. Have fun, I will be back there in just 5 DAYS. YAY, im so excited

I with start by apologizing, because I am a new memeber and a little confused by the message board. I loved your suggestion of the beach and lobster! My family of 5 will be going in 12 days and I just wanted to be clear where you went. Was this Cat's Meow the name of the beach you went to that had a restuarant where you got all this great stuff? i just want to get in a cab and tell them take us too..... Hope you can help me out, thanks

I can answer your questions, as we were there last Thursday. If you take a taxi from the port area ($3.00 per person) to Majahual, the taxi lets you off at the end of the street. The Cat's Meow is the first restaurant you will see (on the right). They serve beers, drinks food etc. as others have said. They will also get lounge chairs if you want to sit in the sun. Further down this block are more restaurants and many tables for massages under the trees. Other posts have mentioned other good restaurants. There is also more beach and waverunners to rent. There are many vendors that are definitely cheaper than at the port area. They like to negotiate with you. You can taxi back at the point you came from or at other intersections. The return fare is $2.00 per person. I liked this area as the immediate port area is very crowded, pricey and not very authentic. There are other posts on Costa Maya that include a map and pictures. Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.:)

• 1 month later...

How far is Mahajual Beach from Uvero Beach? Our son and his gf want to do the dolphin swim there. We were going to go to that beach and just hang out there while they swam but from what I've been reading Mahajual Beach is nicer. Can we do a cab share at least one way?

Kim

As I mentioned in another post, going into Mahajual feels like it must have felt to be among the first tourists in Cancun or Cozumel. For a major cruiseline port, it is still so undeveloped and western frontierish feeling...

!

In your picture link you show the Pilot Boat returning a passenger to the cruise ship. I'm just curious as to how you know that is what was happening?

In your picture link you show the Pilot Boat returning a passenger to the cruise ship. I'm just curious as to how you know that is what was happening?

It was quite interesting....watched the whole thing from my balcony with my binoculars...watched the people running down the pier as the ship sailed away....watched as the pilot boat turned back to get them....saw them getting back on the ship.

We have been to Costa Maya 3 times and are returning again in March. The town of Mahajual is a definite must. You can simply sit at a beach bar with your chair in the sea and drink, have a massage on a 2nd story deck, shop for local art and jewelry, get a fishing trip, or schedule a great snorkeling trip... All this done from the beach. Definitely avoid paying for it on the cruise or from the port.

It is my favorite port and we are excited to visit again. The last time we were there my 2 boys and myself paid a local to take us snorkeling. The 3 of us had a private guides who spent an hour showing us the best of the snorkeling. I believe I paid 45.00 for all 3 of us. On the way back we passed the group from the scheduled cruise trip. There were about 30 of them and no personal guide!

I have yet to visit the ruins and may take them in this time.

Hi there!! My hubby and I are going on our 1st cruise, and Costa Maya is one of our stops. We were thinking of doing the Chacchoben Mayan ruins Tour, but after reading yours, and other posts about Mahahual Beach, I have changed at least my mind, and his when I show him how inexpensive it is!! I do have a question for you, where did you have the taxi drop you off at, and what was the name of the cafe that you ordered from? The marg's and the lobster caught me eye, as well as the massage:) I appreciate any input you can provide!!

Annette

It is my favorite port and we are excited to visit again. The last time we were there my 2 boys and myself paid a local to take us snorkeling. The 3 of us had a private guides who spent an hour showing us the best of the snorkeling. I believe I paid 45.00 for all 3 of us.

Can you swim with the dolphins from Mahajual Beach? I know there's someone at the port that will take you to Uvero beach for this. My son and his gf want to do this but it would be nice if we all went to the same beach and then they left for their outing from there. I'd much prefer to go to Majajual than Uvero. You said there was snorkelling, was there also dolphin swim offered?

Kim

Archived