1st Cruise Ever - Valor in January

Nanners214

Hello All,

My husband and I are going on our very first cruise and a 9 year late honeymoon. We are both very excited! I am so ready to leave the snow. I have been reading these boards for months and it has been so helpful. I am already booking our excursions privately as suggested by many.

Our ports are Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. My number one thing to do is swim with the dolphins. That has been my dream, so we are planning the Royal Swim in Cozumel which seems to have the best reviews. I think we will also be doing cave tubing, a canopy tour and Stingray City.

I am not sure if I have any certain questions, but any additional advice you have would be great. Tours you went on and who you booked through.... first timer advice, anything! I am trying to plan everything to the last detail as I am a little OCD. Oh, any one have any stories of their cabin upgrade? I got stateroom 6307...

Thanks to all of you who take the time to give your input. I look forward to any suggestions or comments and maybe learning of some fellow passengers.

Hello Nanners and welcome to Cruise Critic!

I was on the Valor Western route this past July and I loved it so much I'm going back again this coming July (with a different kid in tow). There is a link to my review in my signature. We did Costa Maya instead of the Cozumel, due to Wilma destroying the pier. And I guess they liked the idea so much, the summer cruises are going back to Costa Maya.

However, I did the Royal Swim at Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel when I was on the Inspiration a few years ago and I loved it, my niece had a blast. Make sure you bring your own underwater camera, they charge a lot for their photos, but you will need to keep it tucked away from the dolphins when you are interacting with them (have someone else hold it and snap the shot for you. Chakanaab Park is lovely and nice to walk around in. When we were there, there was a little minature golf course right off the beach. It wasn't very well kept, but we had a blast playing, because it was truly "jungle" mini golf, but instead of sand traps or windmills, you had roots rankling the course and holes filled with leaves and water.

In Roatan, I booked with Victor Bodden tours. For 2 people it was $40 per person to hire a driver for the day, the more people you have the cheaper it is ($25 per person for 4, $35 pp for 3 plus tip.) But the drivers Victor hires have gotten good reviews and they will take you anywhere you want to go. Plus if you are going to the zip line, they'll get you to one quickly ahead of the crowds. I love-love-loved the zip line. What a cool experience.

In Grand Cayman, a private operator is definitely the way to go for Stingray City. It's much nicer than the cattle boats the cruiselines use. I used Captain Bryan (but Captain Marvin is also well reviewed and much beloved) we had a nice morning snorkling and then tipped the van driver to drop us off at a store we saw on our drive out to the boat (not far from the cruise ship dock).

I have yet to Cave Tube in Belize. The first time I was in Belize my niece didn't want to go. Last summer, I booked with Xtreme Cave tubing, but it rained for the entire two weeks before our arrival (the summer is the rainy season) and the cave system was flooded. We took an alternate excursion to Altun Ha ruins instead and had a nice time. Again, booking with a private operator like Xtreme or Yhonny at cave-tubing.com is the way to go, more time on the river in smaller groups and two caves instead of 1. Oh, bring good bug repellent. January may be better on the bugs, but Belize has some pretty viscious biters.

The Valor is a nice ship, not nearly as garish as you might think from the descriptions. Make sure you hit the fish and chips place, it is on the upper level of Rosie's (the buffet). And the deli has suprisingly good pastrami.

In 6307 you appear to be mid ship, can't really comment on that since I was up front. I booked an Inside Guarantee and ended up in 8210 an inside right behind the bridge. It was so nice and quiet. Inside cabins are really dark so make sure you bring some sort of night light (or leave the bathroom light on and the door open a crack.

Check the capers every day, there is usually always something to do. Also, don't forgo all the other entertainment in favor of the big shows. The have a band in the Paris Hot Lounge, Karaoke in the Eagles Lounge and the Lindy Hop Piano Bar and the One Small Step disco. We had an early (6:15) seating, so we would go to the first show and then off to the other things.

If you are upstairs and along the wall in the dining room, you won't be able to see much of the dining room "entertainment", how much of an issue this is, is up to you. If you don't get the dining room assignment you want, you can see the Maitre D', if he can change you he will, but will ask that you sit at your original table the first night. If you are not going to be in the dining room for dinner, it's always polite to let your tablemates, waiter, or maitre d' know, so they don't wait for you.

Check out the roll call boards on this site to find others on your sailing. It's always fun to chat with others and compare notes and even meet up on board. And you can save money on some excursions if you join up with others when booking.

Oh and don't sweat the small stuff.

Enjoy your cruise!

Laura

Archived