? About Pier In Houston

tacohee12

the ramp is very long and ofcourse elevated most of the way. have to get from ground level to deck 7. how far? hmmmm, trying to gauge it to a football field (100 yards) and i think it might be half that. all i know is both my DW and i are healthy and we were tuckered by the time we got to the top. for that matter we were tuckered getting off as well.

let me add a note here, the ramp actually extends from the front of the ship to mid-ship. given the ships length of maybe 900 feet, figure about half that.

and ironically the ramp has a "Astro Turf" like carpet. As tawcat said, it is a long, long ramp that begins ground level and eventually rises to the embarkation level. I am not sure what deck it is,(maybe 4-5 stories) but it is a long walk. One of the pax on the cruise we were on fell on the ramp and broke his arm. He was older but still.

If you are planning on bringing cases of soda for example, you may have to take several rest stops. The boarding was segregated. High latitude members first, the gold, silver etc.(Or whatever system NCL uses.) So it seemed all the older people went first. (No disrespect here)

The Dream isn't 900 feet long, it's just 754 feet long. So the walk will be around 150 feet shorter. The ramp ends on the Dream's Promenade Deck (Deck 7). The pier is about 1 deck above sea level, sea level being around Deck 3, so the pier is at Deck 4, therefore the rise is only 3 decks high, 30 feet at most.

Not only is the ramp turfed, it's also covered. It also has level sections several times so you can rest from the 30 feet climb. The walk up the ramp is shorter than walking fore to aft on the Promenade Deck on the Dream.

I'll never figure out why so many consider this ramp so long, as everyday aboard you'll see many walking and jogging several laps of the Promenade Deck.

My dad, who often said he walked 5 miles to school every day as a child would cringe at hearing some complain about walking up a ramp less than 600 feet long.

Below is an bird's eye photo of the Houston pier the Dream docks at . The ramp is clearly visible in the photo.

BarboursCut1.jpg

My dad, who often said he walked 5 miles to school every day as a child would cringe at hearing some complain about walking up a ramp less than 600 feet long.QUOTE]

Would that be uphill both ways? :)

BTW it does seem a long way if you are getting on in age!

I will be on the Dream in April for a transatlantic sailing. I recently took a bad fall so I am wondering if they have an elevator for people who are not walking as well. I am thinking after reading this that perhaps I should request a wheelchair. Thank you so much for your posts. Happy Sailing, Joy

Request a wheelchair! - it is a long walk if you have problems walking!

I'll never figure out why so many consider this ramp so long, as everyday aboard you'll see many walking and jogging several laps of the Promenade Deck.

Just a guess electricron, but, after looking at the photo, maybe it is because you can see it all at once. On other ship, you go down this hall and think your they. Than you have to go up another ecalator and down another hall and on and on. They really are longer but, broken up more.

Than again after I get to do this for my self in three weeks I'll feel the same:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I paid my final payment today so I ordered a wheel chair for both of my cruises. I normally would not need this but I took a fall and after reading this I think it is a good idea. I want to thank the original poster and all of the contributors so much for adding to this thead I think if will help so many. Happy Sailing, Joy

• 3 weeks later...

theres a big difference of walking or jogging the prom deck several laps and walking up the ramp to the ship. electricron seems to have it figured out, however, add the luggage you're carrying/dragging; the kids you are herding; the elderly at snails pace; and the list goes on. if one person stops to rest at one of the levels, the whole progress seems to stop, cuz with all the crap you're carrying you can't get around them. if anyone of any age in whatever fitness category you might be in, can honestly say that the walk up and/or down the ramp did not tucker you in anyway my hat is off and i applaude you!

not trying to start a riot here, but i think i would much rather give a sense of a chore than to make it sound like a piece of cake. there are no elevators to get you there, good old muscle and sweat is the only means.

let me rate it on a level of 1 to 5, 1 being easy. for me i would rate it a 2. and the 2 given that no one was in front of me wrestling with half their household. a lot of the labor comes from having to start/stop hold your luggage etc. kinda like being in rush hour traffic, wears ya out really quick!:D

theres a big difference of walking or jogging the prom deck several laps and walking up the ramp to the ship. electricron seems to have it figured out, however, add the luggage you're carrying/dragging; the kids you are herding; the elderly at snails pace; and the list goes on. if one person stops to rest at one of the levels, the whole progress seems to stop, cuz with all the crap you're carrying you can't get around them. if anyone of any age in whatever fitness category you might be in, can honestly say that the walk up and/or down the ramp did not tucker you in anyway my hat is off and i applaude you!

not trying to start a riot here, but i think i would much rather give a sense of a chore than to make it sound like a piece of cake. there are no elevators to get you there, good old muscle and sweat is the only means.

let me rate it on a level of 1 to 5, 1 being easy. for me i would rate it a 2. and the 2 given that no one was in front of me wrestling with half their household. a lot of the labor comes from having to start/stop hold your luggage etc. kinda like being in rush hour traffic, wears ya out really quick!:D

You got that right ;) - we boarded early and I am at the wrong end of fitness,

we had a crew member coming down and we had to step to one side to let him by.

Archived