Self Tanning Lotion questions

Another vote for the Jergens Natural Glow, but I agree that the scent is lighter then regular tanners, it's still noticable. However, if you buy the new Jergen's Natural Glow & Firming lotion it smells much better and the firming actually works (not major, but subtle difference). The best part is that you get the "glow" the mosturizing and the firming all for $7 a bottle!

I just tried the Firming version tonight. I had been using the regular Natural Glow and it ran out. I love the scent of the firming lotion. It smells very clean and fresh, TONS better than the original lotion does!

Does anyone have any experience with airbrush tanning?? I'm going to a tanning salon that does it.

Patty

I just had it done for the first time yesterday. Just make sure that you go when you don't have to be anywhere for a good 6 hours and can avoid water/perfume/lotion for that long. The place I went lets females go topless so you wont get tan lines.(totally not my thing, but I did it for the sake of no lines). The tech lady puts a REALLY thick barrier cream on your palms, cuticles and toenails, then sprays you with a slightly cold mist (sorta feels like a misting fan). She instructed me how to pose..it took 5 mins MAX. And unlike Mystic Tan (which I hated!) I got even coverage because it was an actual person spraying me. After she was finished I stood infront of a fan for 5mins to dry.

The worst part of it all was the feeling of being wet and sticky! It bugged the heck outta me. You need to wear REALLY loose, dark colored clothing, and flip flops when youre done...it's VERY important ! The inside of my clothing was brown from the bronzer. But it did wash right out.

Now a day later, my tan looks GREAT...it looks totally natural..no streaks, blotches or missed areas...also its not orange (you will be orange when you are finished...until you take a shower to wash off the bronzer.)

I'm booked to do it again next Friday (the day before my cruise). They sell touch up stuff at my salon that I can take on my trip.

FYI: I am fair skinned...and I've used Jergens Natural Glow for a few years..and tolerated looking like a just rolled in dirt. I'd recommend airbrush tanning.

I had the spray tan (airbrush) done last wed by my beautician. I was nervous at first, but I was actually impressed afterwards.

I plan on going again this wed. I bought an extender to use in between. I do plan on doing some things differently though.

I didnt realize exactly how much barrier I needed to put on, and i will add extra attention to my heels, hands, etc.

also, my feet look like that have overspray or something.. not extremely noticable but to me it was..

I had melenoma at the age of 30... I use to love love love the tanning bed, but I love life more.. so this is the way to go.. Once u get a diagnosis like that, you will rethink things, that's for sure.

anyway... good luck with all...

michelle

I had melenoma at the age of 30... I use to love love love the tanning bed, but I love life more.. so this is the way to go.. Once u get a diagnosis like that, you will rethink things, that's for sure.

Hi Michele,

I was diagnosed with melanoma at 23 and am now 30. I did the tanning beds too. I put on Olay Touch of Sun yesterday for the first time. Today I barely see a difference but I am very very fair. I used to use the Jergens. I just can't stand the smell. The Olay didn't smell which suprised me b/c I thought they all did.

Did ya'll have the airbrush tans done at a regular beauty salon? I've only seen spray tans/ etc. at tanning salons. I just can't go in there and financially support them. :mad:

• 2 months later...

I am thinking about doin the spray on tan at at salon. However, they told me that If I get in salt water or a chlorine pool that it causes it to come off. Has anyone had this experience?

Has anyone used Loreal's " Sublime Bronze"? I have used this when we cruised, and it has a pleasant smell, dries quickly and doesn't rub off. I love the color it gives me, and I am Northeast girl who is pretty light colored,especially in the spring when we cruise.:)

I use this all the time and love it. However, I find that it does rub off somewhat. If I am wearing navy or black crop pants and I cross my legs, I get a stain of the pants where my leg touches. It washes right out with plain water, so it really isn't a problem. I put it on in the morning after my shower and just let it dry while I am putting on my makeup and drying my hair. Would it rub off less if I put it on at night and shower in the morning? The instructions say to use after a shower.

I am thinking about doin the spray on tan at at salon. However, they told me that If I get in salt water or a chlorine pool that it causes it to come off. Has anyone had this experience?

I sure did. I got my spray on tan the day before my cruise. It looked AWESOME. Didn't look fake at all. However, that only lasted one lousy day. Our first day we had an excersion on a catameran. Just from the salt water splashing up on me, while I was sitting on the deck...it came off. You could see brown water on the white deck where I had been sitting.

Even though it DID come off...It didnt come off all the way at first it merely faded. It was even fading too..not blotchy. But it was totally gone by day 3 of the 7 day cruise.

Oh yeah..and when I got off the plan on the way to the port city..I was kinda sweaty (Puerto Rico)...had on a white t-shirt...well lets just say, my tan came off on the inside of that too.

• 3 years later...

I have not used any of these lotions that you are talking about but I have found Peau D’OR quite good. They have a lot of products to suit all skin colour and pocket. These products give natural bronze look which stays for very long. The sunless tanning lotions of Peau D’OR will not let you down with uneven tan or lines.

I like mystic tan but its too expensive to do regularly. If you do it for a cruise or big vacation you should probably use a gradual tanning lotion to keep away the blotchiness that can happen when it starts to wear off. At minimum use a good moisturizer in the days afterward to keep it from looking blotchy.

I like Faux Tan by BE also. Looks brown on me and not orange. I'm a pasty white girl lol. When I apply this or any self tanner I try to exfoliate in the shower, apply a regular lotion to knees, ankles, elbows and any other dry/creased areas before applying the self tanner. I got these mitts from the body shop a few years ago for applying self tanner. They are great, lets you smooth it on without getting your hands messy and it goes on evenly. They are very thin foam things. I don't think they make them anymore and I don't know if there is a similar alternative available. Also, rub it in more than you think is necessary to blend it.

I'd like to try the towelettes b/c I've heard nothing but good things about them.

I have the answer for you guys! It is Tan Towels from HSN. I have used them for 3 years now and LOVE them!! They look like a baby wipe and you just open the packet and wipe it all over your body. You can even do your face! It will not make you dark like the sun does (or should I say cooked) but it gives you a bronzed glow. I always wash my hands with soap and water after I use the wipes and have never had a problem with streaks or orange hands!! They are wonderful!

Agree with you. Also the wipes by L'Oreal are very good too. Just wash you hands when you are done!

Archived