Self Tanning Lotion questions

I have a question......I never use self tanners and even though

I live in Florida I don't get out in the sun.

This trip I am wearing a cocktail dress (shorter than my usual long

ones) and I would like to tan JUST MY LEGS......

I leave for San Diego on March 17th......

The Loreal sounds very good....is it good for the legs?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated:)

I used to be a tanning bed user but last year I got skin cancer and that came to a screeching halt. Fortunately it was not melanoma, but it was a huge wake up call. In my quest to have a natural looking tan, I recently tried a sunless tanning mousse called "Cella Derm" which I ordered from TLsciences.com after receiving a sample of the product. It does have a slight odor (not real strong) but it also contains anti-aging elements unlike most sunless tanners. It also gave me a wonderful color that disappeared just like a real tan - not like some sunless tanners that slough off and leave nasty spots around your elbows, etc and was very easy to apply - no streaking whatsoever. I have tried the Jergens and it actually gave me an orange cast for whatever reason. The Cella Derm is a little pricey at $39.95 for a 30 day supply but well worth the cost and definitely beats the alternative - skin cancer!

I have a question......I never use self tanners and even though

I live in Florida I don't get out in the sun.

This trip I am wearing a cocktail dress (shorter than my usual long

ones) and I would like to tan JUST MY LEGS......

I leave for San Diego on March 17th......

The Loreal sounds very good....is it good for the legs?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated:)

Lois...

I have used this product and yes it would be fine for your legs.

But I must ask you, why are you wanting to only tan your legs?

Are your arms and upper body going to naturally get more sun on the cruise... sometimes they seem to.

I ask because my girlfriend does this... only tans her legs in the summer because she is so white, and it looks odd.

I would use it all over,so you had even color.... but in answer to your question yes, it works on just legs.

:) Hi Heather! Well, I have changed my outfits (as of last week)

and no longer need the self-tanner:D

Found 2 beautiful outfits at David's Bridal.....both ON SALE!

A lovely long black dress with silver and black jacket

and a 3 piece pants outfit in what they call Mulberry;) looks

like an Eggplant color to me.

The dress is a knit..with a ribbed texture to it....feels wonderful

on the body.

The pants outfit has a tank and duster length jacket to it.

I am short and don't usually wear those longer length but this

looks very good on me too. There is lovely beading around the

neckline and on the duster. It is a crepe material and very dressy.

For 100.00 I was happy:)

Wish I could find a picture of both for you but when I looked on

David's website I couldn't find either one!

Hi Heather! Well, I have changed my outfits (as of last week)

and no longer need the self-tanner:D

Found 2 beautiful outfits at David's Bridal.....both ON SALE!

A lovely long black dress with silver and black jacket

and a 3 piece pants outfit in what they call Mulberry;) looks

like an Eggplant color to me.

The dress is a knit..with a ribbed texture to it....feels wonderful

on the body.

The pants outfit has a tank and duster length jacket to it.

I am short and don't usually wear those longer length but this

looks very good on me too. There is lovely beading around the

neckline and on the duster. It is a crepe material and very dressy.

For 100.00 I was happy:)

Wish I could find a picture of both for you but when I looked on

David's website I couldn't find either one!

Wow, Lois... Sounds like you got a great deal and feel great in them too! Does not get better than that, right?

;) :D

One very important step to using any self tanning products, is to be certain that you use some sort of body scrub in the shower before you apply the cream. If you don't, dry skin cells, especially on knees and elbows ,will absorb more of the self tanner and make you look uneven.

Ok, so I've read that many people here like the L'Oreal Sublime and tan towels. I had to run to the grocery store to pick up an item and saw that L'Oreal has tan towels. Anyone tried these? What did you think? Are tan towels any better than the lotions or sprays?

i, too, cannot stand the smell of the jergens. i gave a practically unused tube away to a coworker. i do however like the loreal sublime bronze, which i used today. problem is, i got distracted right after applying and now my hands are streaky orange (the rest of me looks great!). anyone know what i can use to get rid of the mess on my hands faster? oh, have used the sublime bronze towels, too, they work really well!

I'm so proud of the self-tanners on this board!! I am new to cc, but not new to cruising. I was diagnosed with melanoma at age 23 (4 months after my first cruise). 10 sugeries and 25 inches of scarring later I'm still cruising! Anyway, I just wanted to say I was thrilled to read that many of us cruisers are tanning the safe way. (I wondered how many of us were tanning the smart way) :) As my oncolgoist at MD Anderson says "there's no such thing as a safe tan"...if it's from UV rays of course!

For those who live in the Houston/Galveston area come out and walk with us for melanoma at the UTMB track on May 5th! www.TheSchlip.com

Hi:

This is a great thread, very informative!!! I agree that sunless tanning is the way to go for health reasons and b/c you can use it anytime - especially to get some color before a cruise. I've used several different tanning products and agree that Jergens is pretty good esp. because it's easy, but I didn't see any results after my first use, and I felt it took too long to see some real color. Plus, i wasn't a fan of the smell. But, I like the concept of a gradual tanner. Sometimes I start with a gradual tanner especially in the winter when I'm pale. Then, once I have some base color going I'll step it up to a regular strength tanner, but I agree with another comment about prepping the skin first. Definitely exfoliate before self tanning, and don't use any other products on your body before you apply a self tanner - for instance, don't use moisturizer first as it prevents the tan from developing properly. Even deoderant or powder is an issue. So, apply a tanner after you shower and exfoliate knees, ankles, hands, and elbows well in the shower! Also, wipe your hands afterwards, or the tanner can soak into your palms which doesn't look very nice. In addition to self tanning, more recently, I've also tried spray tanning and had great results. One of the spas I go to uses sunless products from Aviva labs. The spray tan looked so great on me that I bought some of their retail products that the salon carried to extend the tan. I purchased a tan extender (I think it's called Skinglow or something like that) and even got the self tanning gel all from Aviva which I use to get the most out of my spray tan. Normally, I use the gel on my legs and the extender glow on my face but have used the gel on my face, too. I just use a little of the gel and apply it fast and not too thick - as it needs to go on evenly, and i do it when I have a little base color left so I don't worry about any imperfections in my technique! :) Plus, unlike Jergens, it doesn't smell bad - and it's hypoallergenic, so I didn't get any breakouts, which was a plus, as I was worried at first about putting any sunless tanner on my face. It's funny because even though I've used sunless tanners for several years, I always get nervous before trying a new product, but I really liked the spray tan and the people at my spa said good things about the products - which they use too - which made me feel better about trying it. Apparenlty, it's "salon grade" stuff and that's why I get more color from it than I did with Jergens, but it's also more expensive. On the flip side, it doesn't take much product to get results, so I get more use out of it than I did with my Jergens and the results just look much better. I guess you get what you pay for!

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried a self tanning lotion for the first time and I love it. I bought Dove Energy Glow. The results were great. I was very impressed and it doesn't smell bad at all. You have to let it dry for a bit after applying it but within minutes it was dry enough to get dressed. I have very fair skin so the color on my legs looks great.:D

I have been going to the tanning bed since January to get tan, and going every other day this week, in the turbo bed. Im fair skinned so to get a base tan before all these hot places will help me keep a tan, and not burn as easily... still bringing SPF.

I really like Olay Body - Touch of Sun. It is a body lotion with a touch of sunless tanner. It works gradually. I put it on every morning as I would regular body lotion. I love the smell. Great color. I can't believe how well it works.

Donna

Well I think I'm going to swear off the tanning beds this year. As much as I like tanning...I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like skin cancer. So I think I'm going to try the Dove Energy Glow before my cruise this year. I have Jergen's..but the smell is kind of nasty. So I want to try something different and it seems like Dove is the only decent smelling one. Plus I have read tons of good reviews on it. If anyone else has tried it..I would love to hear what you thought. :)

I'm sorry if someone else already posted about this product but I didn't take time to read through all the posts. :)

I found a product that is easy to use, doesn't stink, and gives you a beautiful golden tan. It's called Tan Towels and I bought them from HSN. They look like a HUGE wash 'n dri towel and you just wipe them all over your body. After you're done, throw the towel away and go get dressed. That's right......NO waiting to dry like the lotions!!! The more you use them, the darker you become. I started using them a year ago and I have a beautiful golden tan all year long, with no damage to my skin. :D

You can also find them on Tantowels dot com

This is an honest review of my first Mystic Tan experience. I envy those of you who have had great results from this, as I did not! This past Thursday I decided to to try Mystic Tan for the first time. I was really excited. First of all, it was VERY cold! That I could handle. Then, my left arm turned out much darker than my right despite the fact that I did exactly as I was instructed. After it was over my lungs were a little irritated for a couple of hours from breathing in the mist. Despite the use of the barrier cream (and I used plenty) my hands turned orange, but there was no problem with my feet. Then, even after I bathed, I still smelled that self-tanner smell to the point that I could not sleep that night and my husband said I smelled like burnt toast! After 2 days of normal bathing the stuff started to "slough off" of my left arm and it now looks like I have some kind of skin disease. Needless to say, I won't be going back. I know not everyone will have this same experience. I just wanted to share mine.

I've tried the Jergens and also cannot stand the smell. My DH would rub it on my back and the smell would stay on his hands after repeated washing. I'm a huge fan of the Dove Energy Glow. Very minimal smell, dries quickly. Yes mystic tan nice, but you have to use it in a well ventilated area and wipe up any overspray.

For those of you planning on trying out Mystic Tan - I have done them many times and think that they work great!

The last time I went the girl at the desk recommended that I tan in the beds for 5 minutes beforehand to warm up and "open up" my pores. I usually never go to tanning beds but thought that 5 minutes would not be too bad - and the fake tan did seem to be more even.

I also can't stress enough to GOOP that barrier cream on...thick!!! Don't rub it in like lotion. I usually rub very little on my knees and elbows, then goop it on my hands/nails and feet. Last time I did not have a problem with weird orange spots. (If you get some, use some exfoliating scrub to smooth them out.)

After one side of you is sprayed, you turn around and it sprays the other side of you. I get into a weird squatting position and sway back and forth - not sure if this helps, but I'm sure it looks funny! I usually hold my breath, and they sell nose plugs and eye covers that you can use too.

The blast is cold, but try not to squinch your face up or you can get extra tan in the wrinkles! And make sure to place the hair cover back on your hairline - you don't want to have a weird line there, and the chemicals don't hurt your hair.

Finallly, after you are sprayed, don't be afraid to dry off. You need to remove those excess droplets. Don't rub excessively, but don't just pat yourself dry - towelling off is important. Don't be afraid that it will rub off, it won't.

I would give it a try a couple of weeks before your cruise to see if it works for you. I know not everyone is happy with them, but I find it is much easier for me to put up with the smell for just one night, instead of daily!

Aso, I avoid using my loofah after I get the spray tan - don't scrub yourself and it will last much longer. Moisturizing helps, too.

Good luck!

Another vote for the Jergens Natural Glow, but I agree that the scent is lighter then regular tanners, it's still noticable. However, if you buy the new Jergen's Natural Glow & Firming lotion it smells much better and the firming actually works (not major, but subtle difference). The best part is that you get the "glow" the mosturizing and the firming all for $7 a bottle!

I really like Olay Body - Touch of Sun. It is a body lotion with a touch of sunless tanner. It works gradually. I put it on every morning as I would regular body lotion. I love the smell. Great color. I can't believe how well it works.

Donna

I have been trying this for the last 4 days - so far, so good!:) However, I have also been getting a little exposure to the real sun and don't know how much is fake and how much is real.

I'm sorry if someone else already posted about this product but I didn't take time to read through all the posts. :)

I found a product that is easy to use' date=' doesn't stink, and gives you a beautiful golden tan. It's called Tan Towels and I bought them from HSN. They look like a HUGE wash 'n dri towel and you just wipe them all over your body. After you're done, throw the towel away and go get dressed. That's right......NO waiting to dry like the lotions!!! The more you use them, the darker you become. I started using them a year ago and I have a beautiful golden tan all year long, with no damage to my skin. :D [/size']

You can also find them on Tantowels dot com

Has anyone else tried these tantowels? I have really been curious about them for awhile now. I would like to hear from some more ladies who have tried them.

I might try the tanning towellettes...and maybe the Mystic Tan thing. But I did a spray tan at home last night and I woke up with big dark dots on my left arm this morning. :mad: STREAKS AND SPOTS!!!! I used Loreal Sublime Glow no-rub spray. I was really excited to try it...it has a really fine mist that dries almost instantly and it goes on really quickly. I thought because it dried so fast that there was no way there would be any streaks anywhere, and there aren't any streaks on most of my body. But my left arm looks like it has polka dots.

I have to have a tan for the summer, there is no question. I'm not going around looking like Casper. I'm trying to not go to tanning beds anymore, but if I get any more streaks from the self tanner, that's where I'm heading. You just can't get a good tan from a spray, in my opinion. I'll try a couple more techniques, but I will use a tanning bed if I have to. :mad:

Not happy.

Has anyone else tried these tantowels? I have really been curious about them for awhile now. I would like to hear from some more ladies who have tried them.

My Mom and I both have used Tan Towels with great results. It doesn't leave you orange at all. The more you use them the darker your tan. HTH

Lisa :)

Archived