Warning!! Fake Tanzanite in Cozumel!!

ThreeYellowLabs

Do not buy tanzanite jewelery in Cuzumel because they are passing off synthetic stones for real. My mother bought a ring they told us was real tanzanite with diamonds, and very good quality. We talked him down from $1200 to $600 so we thought it was a great deal. When we got home and she got it appraised it was a synthetic tanzanite with glass accents in silver, worth about $100. Also, we noticed that many of the merchants on the main strip had the same exact ring. Take my advice and do not get duped!!! Her credit card company said they could not do anything to get her money back because they did not give us an appraisal with the ring.

unfortunately your first clue should have been that you were seeing the same ring at several stores. Much like any other souvenir that you see at several shops, it's an inexpensive trinket made for tourists.

Its a good idea to only buy from stores that are recommended by the cruise line. If it is fake then you would have some recourse.

On many of the Cozumel websites, it states that recommended stores only are good for a kick back to the cruise line. Beware no matter where you shop.

Was it a recommended store? True, these stores pay to be listed, however, that does give Carnival some control over the way they treat their customers.

It is always buyer beware. Did you fill out the Buyer's Warrantry on the ship?

I believe that gives you a 90 day warranty, but it may only be from their recommended stores.

BTW, name the store so that we can warn others!!!

Unless you know that all the tanzanite jewelry being sold in Cozumel as real is actually fake, you shouldn't condemn all of Cozumel because your mother purchased one bad piece at one store. As for her credit card company requiring an appraisal with the ring, did they really need an appraisal from the store? If they lied to you about the ring, why would their appraisal be any different. At the very least, the receipt your mother received should have indicated the type of stones and carat weight as well as the gold karats. That should be all the insurance company needs as it proves what she paid for. If an independent appraisal shows she did not receive what they sold her, her credit card company should refuse to payment the jeweler and she should not be liable.

Rather than tell people to not buy in Cozumel, which would hurt good jewelers as well as bad, you should caution people to do what they can to minimize their risk. Contrary to what some have said, some cruise lines tell you they will back you if you have an issue with a cruise line-approved vendor. Cruise line-approved vendors have another reason to be fair--if the cruise line gets enough complaints about them, they can be dropped from the cruise line's list. Always buy with a credit card even if it means foregoing the cash payment discount. Make sure the receipt includes an accurate description of your item. The printed description should match what they verbally told you.

Excuse me if I offended anyone but I wish someone had warned us prior to wasting our money and being duped. The exact name of the store was Silver and Gold Facti on the main strip along the water. They told us it was tanzanite but did not give us an appraisal in the store. It was not a store that the cruise ships reccomended. If we had bought from one the cruise ships reccomend they will back up your purchases if you register them. Just want to let others know buyer beware.

Thanks for the warning. I appreciate it. I am very sorry you got cheated. Something simular happened to my Sister in Playa Del Carmen. Except that the store where she bought her ring was very highly recommended by the 5 star resort where we stayed. The ring did not turn out to be a fake, but the apprasisal was much lower than what they said it would be, not to mention what she paid! She doesn't enjoy the ring as much as she would have if she didn't feel like she got cheated everytime she looks at it. We learned the hard way as well. No more jewelry from out of the country. Period.

Archived