Liquor from the Carib???????

CruisingFamily4

Historically, I have purchased liquor from the islands and carried it on the air plane home. Since all the new airline requlations - has anyone done this in the past 6 months??? Would think this could have an economic impact judging by how many "boxes" of liquor I used to see in the airports!

I expect to see some company market a special luggage caddy for the purpose of checking in bottles on flights. It doesn't look like the restrictions on liquids are going to change substantially in the near future. Perhaps I should start designing this product. ;)

You are correct...you cannot carry on your Caribbean-bought liquor any longer...unless you purchase it at an airport duty-free shops (example=San Juan Airport has pretty good duty-free prices). You will need to check your booze either in your suitcase(s) or in some sort of shipping container. If you purchase from a distillery (like Mount Gay Rum in Barbados) upon request, they will sometimes pack it in a box for you. Some duty free shops will do the same but do not assume this to be the case everywhere.

Personallly, I only brought back bottles that are not available here in the states....and I did my homework before going and knew what was a reasonable price to pay. Example: Why bring home Malibu when you can buy it at the grocery store, on sale, for the same price being offered in the Caribbean!?!?!

As for packing bottles in your checked bags, I brought with me a bunch of bubble wrap and a couple of extra 2 gallon ziplock bags to pack my bottles for the trip home. Remember luggage is handled ROUGH both at the dock and the airports....Hard sided suitcases are safer bets for getting your bottles home safe and sound but a well packed and padded soft sided suitcase will work too.

you not supposed to bring liquids of any kind on to an airplane of more than 4 ozs. With that said, you can check it with your baggage. I have done this several times.

THREE! It's 3 oz., not 4. It's the 3-1-1 rule, not the 4-1-1 rule. I'd hate to see someone get stuck in the security line and hold up the whole works because they had too big a bottle.

http://www.tsa.gov/311/311-holiday.shtm

Archived