New Orleans, not impressed

Bar-fly

Of course you aren't going to be impressed with a city that was destroyed 1.5 years ago. Sure, the French Quarter wasn't flooded, but that was the only place that wasn't. New Orleans looks and feels like a different city now.

The city is dying a slow death-- so sorry you weren't impressed.

Spleenstomper (born in New Orleans)

• 1 month later...

have you been to London lately ? It wasn't hit by Katrina but still gives you a lite wallet. New orleans is more than bourbon st. It has great restaurants, great neighbor hoods and a resilent population !

Sorry you didn't enjoy it but I'm sure you'll enjoy the next city you visit !

For those of you who come to New Orleans, thank you with all my heart. This city needs tourists to show interest, to give a life line heart beat as we continue to struggle. Life is about moving on and we ~ are. We have the spirit to survive.

For those who might be interested getting a better understanding of what we went through (forgive me, this will be long).... Below is something I wrote to a cousin of mine about 6 months after Katrina. Somethings have improved, but not by leaps and bounds...

~~~~~

We met him in a grocery store, standing in line.

It's the "hurry up and wait" syndrome we've grown accustomed to since Katrina. Where nobody is a stranger rather a family of survivors, with the standard question in this area being, "So, how did you make out from the hurricane?" (It's like the community on college campus ~ routine understood question of "So, what's your major?") His was an interesting response:

"My grandmother and aunt live in the lower 9th ward. (We knew what this meant right away and our faces dropped in sympathy.) I told them to leave the city and I stayed to board up their homes. That night, I tried to evacuate, but the police wouldn't let me. They said it was too late. Now I look back and have to question if they knew what was going to happen if any time to get out would be "too late." The night that the levee broke, I escaped to the top of my grandmother's house. I stayed on her roof for 2 days without food and water. When I was rescued, I had to leave the boat to walk miles to reach the convention center. It was a total of 5 days before I left Louisiana."

He paused there and my friend asked, "What the media showed on TV, did they play it up too much?"

He shook his head and replied, "No. They played it down. The direction that I was walking from took me to the back of the convention center. There were rows of hundreds of dead people. (his face told of the horror) I'm grateful my grandmother and aunt wasn't one of them."

I don't think there was a dry eye in the line as we listened... ,

People say, "We're OK around here, as long as we think we're OK. But we really aren't and when we realize we aren't OK, it's going to be really bad, so until then, we'll keep saying... we're OK."

The worst case is the deaths, then damaged homes, losing everything (and possibly everyone) that you love and work hard to obtain, trying to find the faith to start over again. Without faith in something, in life, in the thought of a solid foundation, without the faith ~ fear takes residence. It's a daily battle and sometimes fear controls the anger.

Katrina's devastation can't only be counted in numbers of acres destroyed. It has to include the lives altered, the post traumatic syndrome that is similarly faced in war times and rape victims, for those who are left to live and have nothing left to come home to and even so, if there is a home, a life so changed that you stay inside and sleep to nightmares.

All levels of community are tattered remains. The school system is slow to return and those that are here, the children don't know how to communicate their frustrations and act out, making this the "worst group of children." Teachers, who know how to handle the behavioral problems, are experiencing, "compassion fatigue," as they struggle with the same emotional hell.

Hospitals and doctors are overloaded with the illness post-Katrina. We are being told that this is the worst time to get sick. Keep yourself healthy, because there might not be the facilities available to help. For my own experience, after bronchitis, near pneumonia, doctors didn’t want to see new patients and everyone was coming down with a variation of sickness. Even in routine medicine, things are different. This is the first time I've been given a new blood pressure medicine and along with it, a 12-month refill order. That might sound good at first, but what if there's a problem with the new medicine? To get a doctor's appointment is next to impossible.

Work has changed. New employees, new faces and personalities, pushed to train at an impossible pace. New crews to replace the once well-oiled machine. Not to mention the clients, our greater New Orleans area (which includes Jefferson parish and St Bernard parish), defaced and marred with haggard, tired expressions. And to the bigger picture of corporate choking when support banks refuse to renew contracts to help the locally owned operations. It seems the only part of business that "remains the same" is the government, quick to send out property tax bills, of which, if not paid will prime a mortgage and seized before you blink an eye.

"Life will never be the same again," a good friend of mine said as he told me how he and his wife live in different states in order to have job opportunities. They are completely displaced after Katrina and if they are lucky, can rendezvous for time together between air flights.

Life has become a job, only it's 24 - 7 and no weekend time, sick time or vacation days to recuperate.

When my uncle came in town to see the devastation, still fresh as it was the day after Katrina, he said, "This is history." History.... the importance of it is found in the consistent reciting of events and the dignity found in the details. Though society itself is in a constant state of change, the past sits there, like the 9th ward destruction, waiting....

Yes, it's history... and to be honest, I'd rather read history than be a part of it....

Please know that many of us are excited to be comng to NO. Our group of 13 will be coming and we are planning to lighten our load. We are staying an extra 5 days after our cruise and can't wait! :)

And it was our taxi driver that told us that the other taxi drivers were ripping the passengers off, we were a party of four and were charged just $12 for the ride into town and which we were told was the correct fare. he was fair and honest with us so we gave hime a nice tip.

LOL, and you believed HIM??? Probably told you that just to get a "nice tip!" :rolleyes:

Count DH & I among those excited to be in NO. We'll be there the Sat. after Thanksgiving and very much looking forward to our time there. It has been 27 years since we were in NO. Love the city, love the hospitality and gotta love the cuisine.

Dianne

As a lifelong resident and someone who lost everything to the storm, I share the sentiments of the other locals on here. Please don't let the opinions of one person deter you from coming down. There is much to see and do besides the French Quarter. We have a very fine aquarium located right on the river and also one of the best zoos in the country. If you do want to see the French Quarter, try during the day when there are artists and street performers out around Jackson Square. This city is still in the recovery process and tourism is the biggest part of our economy. So come down here and have a good time.

• 5 weeks later...

French Quarter at night = cheezy tourist bars and sweaty frat boys. All the locals know that and don't typically hang out there.

Faubourg Marginy, Uptown and the Warehouse District offer much better flavor of New Orleans music and nightlife. This includes some of the best bands in the county playing various venues.

We were in NOLA for a long weekend back in April--our first post-Katrina trip. All I can say to others considering a trip is--GO! GO NOW AND GO BACK! We enjoyed the food, the music, the sights, and most importantly, the people of New Orleans. Honestly, everyone greeted us with huge smiles and warmth--it's as if they've been "Disneyfied!" We had many excellent meals at Muriels, Court of Two Sisters, K Paul's, Cafe du Monde, NOLA, Acme Oyster House, even Bubba Gumps. Enjoyed Nickel Creek at HOB. Took the Plantation Tour through Isabelle. Stayed at Hotel St. Marie. Shopped til we dropped. Enjoyed the street performers. The only place I wasn't impressed was Bourbon Street--but I'd been-there-done-that enough that I didn't need to do it again. Bourbon Street is definitely NOT a snapshot of New Orleans!

I can't wait to go back to a city that's like no other in the US! :)

We were in NOLA for a long weekend back in April--our first post-Katrina trip. All I can say to others considering a trip is--GO! GO NOW AND GO BACK! We enjoyed the food, the music, the sights, and most importantly, the people of New Orleans. Honestly, everyone greeted us with huge smiles and warmth--it's as if they've been "Disneyfied!" We had many excellent meals at Muriels, Court of Two Sisters, K Paul's, Cafe du Monde, NOLA, Acme Oyster House, even Bubba Gumps. Enjoyed Nickel Creek at HOB. Took the Plantation Tour through Isabelle. Stayed at Hotel St. Marie. Shopped til we dropped. Enjoyed the street performers. The only place I wasn't impressed was Bourbon Street--but I'd been-there-done-that enough that I didn't need to do it again. Bourbon Street is definitely NOT a snapshot of New Orleans!

I can't wait to go back to a city that's like no other in the US! :)

I have to agree with ya there ! We spend a lot of time in New Orleans and at times, as we did this past weekend, meet our CC friends there. Bourbon Street can be fun to say the least but there is so much more to see and do in and around the French Quarter.

We are also going to NO before our cruise. This time we only get a day. My DH and I go at least 3 or 4 times a year. We've been back about 3 times since Katrina and still love it. It was just so hard to see all of the devastation. We have also visted the Miss. Gulf Coast -so much of it is just gone. The beautiful old homes we loved to drive by and admire are almost all gone. Any support of NO or the Gulf Coast will be very much apprecitated. There are so many wonderful hotels in NO. The French Market Inn and the Place D' Armes (near Jackson Square) are two of our favorites. This time we're staying at the Ambassador Hotel in the Warehouse District. I can't wait!

My husband and I were in New Orlean's 6 week's before Katrina hit. It was one city he and I had alway's wanted to see. We had a wonderful time there. We found the people to be incredibily friendly and helpful.

I find it hurtful to read someone's assesment of such a wonderful city.

We were in NO the Saturday before Katrina hit that

Monday. We stayed at another wonderful hotel-JW

Marriott. The hotel staff was wonderful. They probably thought we were crazy for checking in (I didn't watch the weather channel:o )when others were checking out. We were not the only ones checking in though! NO and the Miss. Gulf Coast have had so many near misses in the past 20 years that no one really thought Katrina would hit. A good friend of ours lives in Kenner and he and his family didn't leave.On Sunday morning it took us 4 hours to make the trip from the French Quarter to Kenner (near the airport).Even though a lot of people were in a hurry to get out, everyone in traffic was courteous and patient. We love the city and its people. It's truly unique. Go and visit-ya'll will love it.

• 1 month later...

sailed on the Fantasy in June and spent the day before in New Orleans....the city is coming back and we had a great time...Monteleone is first class, the food is world class, and we felt safe the whole time....come on guys, let's stop the badmouthin' here and rebuild this city!!!!!

We will sail out of N.O. in November and cannot wait to get there. We plan to visit the city a couple of days prior to our cruise, to experience the people, the food, the music, the culture, the history. I know it will be a great time! ;)

My research right now is about the city and where we can find some great fresh seafood at a reasonable price. Other places to go and food to try.

Where we can find some light jazz similar to 'Doc Watson or Leon Redbone's' and some 'Dixieland and boogie woogie' piano style of music.

...and what sights to see and what tours to take.

Don

It's unfortunate the OP had to decide on New Orleans from Bourbon St alone. It's such a catch-22... New Orleans is famous for Bourbon St/Mardi Gras and that's what attacts so many people in the first place, but it's true charm, what keeps people coming back is elsewhere. The irony.. you only really have to drop down one block during the day to experience it. :)

The first time I was there, it was on business, and I spent the first couple evenings on Bourbon (didn't know any better). If it wasn't for the fact we had an extra day there and not at the convention center all day, I wouldn't have spent a day walking in and out of shops on Royal and forming a totally different opinion of the place (but mostly it's people).

In fact... I remember my buddy was really into this one artists work in Jackson Square, so he bought a piece and when we came back to pick it up he started talking to the artist about his techniques.. well the guy walked us over to his studio to show us the table he made to suck the canvas down to create the effects in his work. Who the hell does that? Leaves their stand in the square for 30 minutes to show some guy he already made a sale to his 'secrets'.

Second time, I got a clue and actually asked locals where they ate and what they thought was a highlight to them. Fantastic trip.

Anyhow, it's pretty difficult to get a proper opinion on such a historical place in one day. Still for a party atmosphere.. I dunno if you could ever beat Bourbon Street either, but you had better be prepared for college level retardation.

Ironic the guy came on here to complain when if he came on to seek advice he'd probably have had a different experience.

BTW Don, I responded to you about your cruise date and questions in another thread where you asked roughly the same thing. I think it was in some guys less-than-impressed review of his Fantasy trip in Feb of this year.

It's unfortunate the OP had to decide on New Orleans from Bourbon St alone. It's such a catch-22... New Orleans is famous for Bourbon St/Mardi Gras and that's what attacts so many people in the first place, but it's true charm, what keeps people coming back is elsewhere. The irony.. you only really have to drop down one block during the day to experience it. :)

The first time I was there, it was on business, and I spent the first couple evenings on Bourbon (didn't know any better). If it wasn't for the fact we had an extra day there and not at the convention center all day, I wouldn't have spent a day walking in and out of shops on Royal and forming a totally different opinion of the place (but mostly it's people).

In fact... I remember my buddy was really into this one artists work in Jackson Square, so he bought a piece and when we came back to pick it up he started talking to the artist about his techniques.. well the guy walked us over to his studio to show us the table he made to suck the canvas down to create the effects in his work. Who the hell does that? Leaves their stand in the square for 30 minutes to show some guy he already made a sale to his 'secrets'.

Second time, I got a clue and actually asked locals where they ate and what they thought was a highlight to them. Fantastic trip.

Anyhow, it's pretty difficult to get a proper opinion on such a historical place in one day. Still for a party atmosphere.. I dunno if you could ever beat Bourbon Street either, but you had better be prepared for college level retardation.

Ironic the guy came on here to complain when if he came on to seek advice he'd probably have had a different experience.

It's good to see someone who has such an excellent perspective of the "Real" New Orleans. Your advice of getting away (even one block) from Bourbon is right on. Bourbon Street is fun but is geared toward, and mostly populated by, tourists. What most visitors don't realize is that The French Quarter is one of the oldest neighborhoods in the Nation. Just from a historical perspective it has so much to offer ! And the food !!!:D

BTW Don, I responded to you about your cruise date and questions in another thread where you asked roughly the same thing. I think it was in some guys less-than-impressed review of his Fantasy trip in Feb of this year.

I just read that response yesterday, I have more questions. Go figure. But I think I should post under a new thread because I don't want to take away from or change that thread's topic.

I will come back here to this thread later tonight and tell you the name of the new thread if that is ok?

Maybe we can even get to meet aboard the ship? :)

Don

Your obnoxious editorial comment is not appreciated.......:mad:

It is easy for you to say. You are living in San Diego!

Try living down here where the Federal money has not even arrived yet.

Cities have to put up a match in money before they qualify for federal emergency money.

If cities do not have the necessary matching funds than they get no federal emergency funds.

FEMA and federal government is a big, big problem down here.

How would you like it if San Diego was wiped off of the map by an earthquake and you got the same federal assistance we received.

Bet you would be singing a different tune than.

• 1 year later...

New Orleans is a very unique city and has a lot to offer if one is open to it.

I haven't been there in years, but when I was there in 1993, I remember many jazz bars being on Bourbon Street. It is definitely a party atmosphere. One thing I remember is that you hear music wafting on the air everywhere you go.

I, personally, am looking forward to New Orleans. We hope to go to the Aquarium and to visit some cities of the dead. Of course, we'll have beignets and coffee at Cafe Dumond. My husband wants to eat at Emeril's restaurant, but personally, I think it will be too much $$$.

Spending $ in New Orleans helps New Orleans.

Wow you brought this thread back form the dead....

As someone who goes to New Orleans often, I find it funny but sad that one year after the Corps of Engineers destroyed the city, Fellowcraft (the OP) was whining that it wasn't up to Disneyworld standards... (or whatever)

Those poor dumb ba$tards in New Orleans... don't they know that their city getting destroyed shouldn't interfere with Fellowcraft's fun? How inconsiderate of those people in New Orleans. -- Having only two Jazz bars open when Fellowcraft visited... How thoughtless.

Rather than admire the people of New Orleans for trying to rebuild thier city, Fellowcraft whines that the city was in bad shape. Poor, poor Fellowcraft, must be a burdern being at the center of the universe and all.

Archived