A tip for the first time cruisers...

EggDropErin

I happened to think of this last night when my mother started talking about whether or not to take credit cards on our next cruise. If you are going to take credit cards, don't forget to call the credit card companies to inform them that you'll be leaving the country. Otherwise, they might suspect your cards have been stolen and disable them.

:) That's good advice Eggdroperin ! I called my bank and my cc card company prior to my departure and informed them of my vacation time frame and destinations on my last cruise. When I asked if it was really necessary, they responded that if the activity on the card was not within my typical spending habits/locations they may assume it has been stolen and disable the card(s) from being used.

Vince

We bring our old underwear and socks and simply throw them away each day after we wear them.

May consider also taking and wearing your other older clothing and doing the same with them.

Save room and weight in suitcases on return trip home.

Or just dont wear any

:D

• 6 months later...
I happened to think of this last night when my mother started talking about whether or not to take credit cards on our next cruise. If you are going to take credit cards, don't forget to call the credit card companies to inform them that you'll be leaving the country. Otherwise, they might suspect your cards have been stolen and disable them.

It's a good idea to do this even when traveling domestically.

Great tip....and even when you call them they can still make the merchant verify it. Happened to us last month in St. Thomas. We made a large purchase in one store and then about 20 minutes or so later made another large purchase in another store and the merchant had to call the credit card company to verify it because it wouldn't go through right away. It's actually good that they do this. My husband researches credit card fraud and said that someone who steals a card will make purchase after purchase in the same general area.

Archived