Crown Princess to New England

foxy92802

Which side of the ship would generally provide the best views in port, the left side(port) or the right side(starboard)?

We are thinking about going on a cruise to New England in September 2007.

Thanks,

foxy92802

I think they mix it up. We had a port side balcony cabin, and I think St. Johns, Halifax and Quebec we had views of the city. Boston and Portland we were away and Bar Harbor was a tender port. I'm not even sure they dock in the same spot each time they make port. We were on Celebrity Constellation, but don't think the ship makes that much difference. It's where and when they can dock. Have a great cruise, it is awesome.:p

• 2 weeks later...

That's very interesting--we were thinking of doing this cruise as well. I've never done a cruise that pretty much stays in the United States, so I'm interested to hear from anyone that has done this sort of cruise as well.

• 2 weeks later...
That's very interesting--we were thinking of doing this cruise as well. I've never done a cruise that pretty much stays in the United States, so I'm interested to hear from anyone that has done this sort of cruise as well.

Same here! I'm starting to research this more... I'm hoping to go in September, too!

We have done the Canada/New England cruise twice--once on the Grand Princess and once on the QM2 (this one all the way to Quebec). We loved seeing a little of a lot of ports. Went in October. The first time the weather was terrific for most of the trip; the second we did have some fog and rain but also some beautiful sunny days.

Halifax and Saint John are two Canadian cities where most cruises stop. We love the sights, food and the people are so welcoming. Check out the boards for those ports in Canada.

Bar Harbor has some great choices for a whole lobster lunch with blueberry pie for dessert. Lots of blueberry souveniers to take home. You can take tours to Cadillac Mt. from the ship or a local company you can find online.

Boston has so much to see. The hop on and off bus tours are a great way to see a lot of the city and hear some of the history. We did that the first time and saw Old Ironsides and some of the Freedom Trail. The second time we walked the Trail and had a terrific Italian lunch ($20 for 2 entrees with a bottle of wine) in the North End around the corner from Paul Revere's house.

If you want to see the mansions in Newport, RI, walk up the road to the transportation center, get a bus ticket and a package to see however many mansions you think you can handle in one day. We did 2; the Breakers is a docent led tour which takes more time. Get there early because the line forms. Marble House is a self guided tour with radio headsets. I loved being able to go at my own pace and hearing more if I wanted to. This year we just took the bus all around the island then walked along the harbor. It is beautiful!

If you look online you can get a lot of info on the ports. Both Princess and QM2 were a great trip. I'll check back to see if there are any specific questins I can answer. Have a great trip.

• 4 weeks later...

It depends on the week since they alternate the routes. We just booked a Canada/New England cruise last night and initally picked a starboard cabin, but then in the middle of the night, I realized that we were on the "reverse" version of the itinerary (after comparing different weeks, ships, etc. it all starts to run together). But my husband called this morning and got us switched to port side, no problem.

We're just starting to research this cruise as well. I thought the starboard side would be best for the itinerary that goes first to Halifax and then comes down the coast. What do you think? Also considering a cabin at the very back of the ship. Anythoughts anyone? Look forward to all posts on this subject. Thanks for posting this thread, Foxy!

We just booked yesterday on the 9/15 sailing of the Crown and managed to snag a balcony cabin on the starboard side, midship. As stated above, I don't think we'll see much more than ocean when we're at sea, but I'm sure both sides will have something of a view in each port, regardless of which side is up against the dock.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

We just booked the Carribean Princess for 10/12/08 and it does the NYC-Newport-Boston, etc. route ending in Halifax and then the sea day coming back. I think this is the same route PA Heather is on this year.

It looks like Port Side would be the better side, and this is what we have booked.. I have a friend who says she was on Starboard in Halifax and that is the side that had the bagpipers in the morning and evening - so I'm just not sure and I think it depends on where the ship docks.

Do you know why they reverse the intinerary? Does it have anything to do with the seas or currents? I'm just wondering because I know out here on the West coast if you cruise from SF to Seattle it can be quite rough and coming back the other way is smoother because you are not going against the currents as much...

I don't remember the seas being too bad when we went in 2001, but we are going later in October this time.

• 1 month later...

Archived