Stockholder Credit Question

ArtM

When someone books a cruise on-board, and gets an on-board booking credit, that credit is retained even if the cruise is switched, so long as the booking number is retained.

On the shareholder benefit form, there is a statement that "Reservations must be booked no later than May 1, 2007. Does anyone have specific experience with switching a cruise after the booking deadline?

To give an example, Summer '08 cruises are not available for booking, and will not be available by May 1. So, If I booked a cruise while we on the Constellation in April to get the on-board credit, and then when the new itineraries come out in May, switched the booking to a Summer '08 cruise, would I still get the shareholder credit as well as the on-board booking credit?

Anyone done this, or been told it can't be done?

Art

When someone books a cruise on-board, and gets an on-board booking credit, that credit is retained even if the cruise is switched, so long as the booking number is retained.

On the shareholder benefit form, there is a statement that "Reservations must be booked no later than May 1, 2007. Does anyone have specific experience with switching a cruise after the booking deadline?

To give an example, Summer '08 cruises are not available for booking, and will not be available by May 1. So, If I booked a cruise while we on the Constellation in April to get the on-board credit, and then when the new itineraries come out in May, switched the booking to a Summer '08 cruise, would I still get the shareholder credit as well as the on-board booking credit?

Anyone done this, or been told it can't be done?

Art

I don't have a direct answer, but I bought stock last year and have gotten the stockholder credit on 5(!) cruises. I've been told that every year RCL/X has words to the effect that "Reservations must be booked no later than May 1..." and that for some years it has been extended for another year. No guarantee, but it MAY be a non-issue.

It's a perk that just keeps on ticking.

Thanks RCI for paying for my stock.

The perk is extended every year.

Your original booking number predated the "good until".

There isn't a deal like this anywhere.

(I've got 13 cruises booked and will get a credit for each):D

You have to own at least 100 shares of RCI stock to recieve the credit.

$250 for 14 or more days

$200 for 9 to 13 days

$100 for 6 to 8 days

$50 for 5 or less days

All credit is on-board credit and you usually recieve it once on board, not prior to boarding.

David

Does it matter which cabin category is booked? For example, does CC or SS get the same credit? Thanks in advance.

Hi LynnObie !

No, it does not matter what type of cabin it is. All cabins get the same amounts, per cabin, depending on # of days of the Cruise as mentioned above.

No. The credit is per cabin booked.

So if two single people who each had shares were in the same cabin, only one credit would appear.

However I believe that if a couple travelling with say two children booked two cabins ( a shareholder and child in each ), SEPERATELY of each other, and each had stock in their OWN names , not as a couple...I believe they would get the credit....Not 100% but it would make sense.

Dave:eek:

It is my undestanding that the credit is an onboard credit, not dependent on class of cabin.

Hi LynnObie !

No, it does not matter what type of cabin it is. All cabins get the same amounts, per cabin, depending on # of days of the Cruise as mentioned above.

Hi Ben & Andy---

Thanks for your replies. Two more questions: Some friends are booked to sail mid-Feb....

1.) I wonder if they still have time to purchase shares & get the credit by mid-Feb?

2.) Other than purchasing the stock, how does one actually arrange to get the credit?

Thanks again!

Lynn

So if two single people who each had shares were in the same cabin, only one credit would appear.

However I believe that if a couple travelling with say two children booked two cabins ( a shareholder and child in each ), SEPERATELY of each other, and each had stock in their OWN names , not as a couple...I believe they would get the credit....Not 100% but it would make sense.

Dave:eek:

That definitely works as it is exactly what our family does with my wife and I and two children taking two cabins. Our shares are held in joint names and we have 200 shares so no need to own the 100 shares separately, just own 2 x 100 jointly.

Hi Grand Island neighbor - we live in Williamsville!

I bought stock just two weeks ago. I didn't know anything about deadlines. I spoke to the Captain's Club Rep at celebrity and faxed her in my stock confirmation. I also called my TA (as the rep advised) and my TA called Celebrity and said that the shipboard credit was already on my account!

We are cruising on the Zenith in 17 days so I didn't have much time to get all this done.

Enjoy your cruise and your credit.

Marion

Hi Marion

It is always good to track down cruising neighbors. FWIW, there is at least one more couple in the area who are frequent X cruisers. They are in the Amherst area.

If you get a chance, send me a private e-mail ( amorthatyahoodotcom ) The sequencing of your booking and stock purchase isn't what I expected from reading the RCCL paperwork.

Art

Dave,

You are correct that the credit is per cabin.

If two single passengers sharing the same cabin each own the required (100)shares, Royal Caribbiean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL) splits the credit equally between the two passengers. Nonetheless, a solo traveller who pays for single occupancy receives the full amount.

So the moral is, if you own stock int he parent company, be careful with whom you share a cabin!

Norm.

Hi, i was just reading this thread and I have a few questions. How do you go about purchasing the stock? Is there a web site or someplace to go to see what it is selling for.

If I should buy it today and we are sailing in 28 days, would we still get the credit?

Is the credit good for both RCCL and X?

I am really interested in this as my DH and I cruise a couple of times a year.

Thanks,

Mary

Hi, i was just reading this thread and I have a few questions. How do you go about purchasing the stock? Is there a web site or someplace to go to see what it is selling for.

Contact a stock broker. You can also use an online broker if you wish (I did). COSTCO has Sharebuilder as a broker on their site and you get a good rebate on your first purchase and low purchase fees.

Yes. Here is RCCL site: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-irhome

If I should buy it today and we are sailing in 28 days, would we still get the credit?

Yes. If you mail, fax or e-mail (shareholderbenefit@rccl.com) your broker statement proving you own 100 shares at least a few days prior to your cruise.

Yes. Shareholder Benefit: http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/10/103045/ShareholderBenefitLetter.pdf

Be aware that the cutoff date, May 1, 2007, shown in the Shareholder Benefit Letter has always been extended to the next year. No guarantee, but likely to continue.

Thanks,

Mary

Any more questions...just ask. Have a great cruise.

Mary,

Hi, i was just reading this thread and I have a few questions. How do you go about purchasing the stock?

1. If you don't already have a brokerage account, open one. If you are looking for a brokerage, I have been very satisfied with Charles Shwab & Co., Inc.

2. Ensure that your brokerage account has adequate funds. (An initial deposit of $5000 should suffice.)

3. Place a "buy" order for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL). Most brokerages will charge commissions of $15 or less for transactions up to 1,000 shares if you enter the order yourself though their web sites.

You also can use funds in a retirement account such as an IRA, Roth IRA, SEPP, or a self-directed account in an employer-sponsored retirement plan such as a 401(k) or a 403(b), so long as you are the benefical owner of the account.

Is there a web site or someplace to go to see what it is selling for.

Yes. Many financial web sites have free stock quotes, charts, and additoinal data. You might want to check out Morningstar, The Motley Fool, and the company's own investor site. If you have a brokerage account, you also should be able to obtain this information and additional research through your broker's web site. In most cases, you'll need to enter the stock's "ticker" symbol in a little window and click a "Go" button to obtain quotes for that stock. I find Stockwatch to be useful for tracking day to day movements of my stocks, it will provide up to twenty quotes at once, but it's a Canadian site so you'll need to precede the ticker with a market designator (q: for NASAQ or z: for all other U. S. exchanges). Thus, you would enter Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. as "z:rcl" rather than simply as "rcl" on the Stockwatch site.

That should be enough time, but you will need to act quickly. You probably can use the confirmation of your transaction as proof of ownership.

Ah, the credit is good for both RCI (Royal Caribbean International) and Celebrity. RCCL (Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.) is a holding company that owns both of these cruise lines.

In that case, it probably makes a lot of sense to buy the required 100 shares.

And your questions give me the impression that you have not done much investing. If I'm reading between the lines correctly, I highly recommend that you buy a copy of (1) The Motley Fool Investment Guide by Dave and Tom Gardner and (2) Beating the Street by Peter Lynch[/i] and read both books cover to cover. Stocks consistently produce far greater returns than any other investment vehicle for those who know what they are doing. These books will help you and your husband to avoid a lot of very common -- and often very costly -- mistakes.

And here, again, I should add the usual disclaimers that posting this information does not constitute a solicitation to buy the stock, that the stock may or may not be a suitable investment for your financial situation, that you should do your own due dillegence before investing, and that you should consult your broker or other personal financial advisor for advice specific to your situation.

Norm.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

GREAT THREAD!! GREAT INFO!!

My cruise is tomorrow :D I bought my stock yesterday and followed the info here, emailed my information and within a couple of hours received a confirmation of shipboard credit.

AWESOME and So Easy!!

Thanks for all the info!!

Juanita

Archived