Drinking age out of San Juan?

I know that RCI recently changed the drinking age to 21 in all ships. However, does this include ships that leave ports such as San Juan (because the drinking age in SJ is 18). We're looking at the AOS leaving San Juan for this summer, and there will be three 19 y/os and 2 18 y/os.

:cool:I believe the drinking age on the RCCL ships is now 21 regardless of the legal age in port. Also, your age on the day the ship departs is your age for the entire cruise. ie If you depart on Saturday and turn 21 on Monday, according to RCCL you are still 20 all week. The positive side is you don't get any older while cruising.:D

I know that RCI recently changed the drinking age to 21 in all ships. However, does this include ships that leave ports such as San Juan (because the drinking age in SJ is 18). We're looking at the AOS leaving San Juan for this summer, and there will be three 19 y/os and 2 18 y/os.

You can drink in a port where the age is lower than 21, but when you step back on the ship, you go back to the RCCL rules. No alcohol served to anyone under 21. ;)

When departing from Europe and I believe south America the drinking age is lower. Otherwise it is 21

My understanding is out of Europe and South America the waiver is available for 18 -20 year olds. Out of the US and throughout the Caribbean the drinking age is 21. While you are in port you can drink, depending on the drinking age of that country, while you are ashore.

It is as it should be, 21 and over! Can't do it at home, why should they be allowed away. Anyway, you don't want to be accountable for 3 youngsters drinking who should not be do you?????:confused:

You're assuming that all cruisers are Americans?????:confused: Many cruisers are not US citizens and are able to drink at 18 or 19 from the countries that they are from. Canada is a prime example. While 21 may be the rules that RCI goes by I disagree with you that it is as it should be!

Sandie

Archived