Cruise Ship Nightmare

Newcruiser00

So sorry to hear of the rough weather. When I sailed in 2001 to Bermuda the seas were a little rough but certainly not as bad as what's described in the Gazette. Hope your return trip is calmer.

We're on this cruise this week! Made for an interesting journey to Bermuda!:o

Article in the Royal Gazette on Wednesday.

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040721/NEWS/107210037

how terrible!! i am freaking out b/c i am leaving on sunday on the Dawn. i hope we don't hit any bad weather! i have been on three cruises and haven't experienced anything like that. i am going w/my 16 mo old and i pray that it is ok. i am nervous just reading that! you poor things

gina

BUT... you are on a ship!! And I've been on many ships... and you are cruising in the big ole OCEAN.... and 15 foot waves... Yes, it is possible... We hit 45 to 65 foot waves on a North Atlantic crossing... and yes people were sick. I'm lucky... I don't get sick (at least not yet) and I know the ship can handle alot more... so I wasn't concerned. Our cabin steward was really sick... so we begged her to skip our cabin and go lay down...

On a short cruise, from Port Canaveral to Nassau we hit bad seas... and about 3/4 of the ship was sick... the dining room had more staff than cruisers.... It was a great cruise for those of us that didn't get sick...

SO... Please remember... it is not a resort.. It's a ship that moves... it rolls and it pitches...

99% of the time it is going to be smooth sailing... but every now and then... you get a real ride!

newcruiser..which ship were you on? Did they warn the passengers ahead of time that they would be hitting rough seas and give them the opportunity to get meds? We will be on the Crown 8/8 and I guess I had better plan to bring our supply of bonnie and take it as a precaution!

Hope the rest of your cruise goes smoothly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Mitchell

how terrible!! i am freaking out b/c i am leaving on sunday on the Dawn. i hope we don't hit any bad weather! i have been on three cruises and haven't experienced anything like that. i am going w/my 16 mo old and i pray that it is ok. i am nervous just reading that! you poor things

gina

Relax - the one thing I did not like about the Dawn was you almost never felt like your were on a ship. I missed the rocking and rolling of the smaller ships. Last winter we hit 18' seas on the Dawn, not in the Atlantic out of NY but on the run to Barbados. Didn't talk to anyone who got sick.

I am surprised this got any press. Not unusual to have 10-15' seas cruising to Bermuda. In April about 10 years ago on a repo of the then Dreamward (Dream before the strech) we had 30-35' seas with 40 knot sustained winds - that was a ride. Closed one dinning room, locked the doors, did the shows sitting down, our TV feel and broke into a thousand pieces, everyone looked drunk as they made their way through the halls.

The Captain had to slow that flat bottom cork making us 12 hours late into NY. It was a great :) Another sea day and sailing into NY harbor at sunset. Those waiting to depart on the first Bermuda cruise of the season were not happy.

They are in fact ships we elect to vacation on and they do cruise in the ocean.

That would be the storm that left the coast of the Carolina's. The ship's staff will never give you an advanced warning to take you sea sickness meds. Best bet is to either have the patch or take bonine/dramamine from the minute you sail. The Atlantic can be rough at times, especially where it meets the Gulf stream. I've been sea sick before and I didn't let it ruin my vacation. Hey, it happens, just have to make the best of it.

newcruiser..which ship were you on? Did they warn the passengers ahead of time that they would be hitting rough seas and give them the opportunity to get meds? We will be on the Crown 8/8 and I guess I had better plan to bring our supply of bonnie and take it as a precaution!

Hope the rest of your cruise goes smoothly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Mitchell

Here was our warning - 4 tugs to pull the ship off the dock in Bermuda (40 Knot winds), Baskets of bonine on the recption desk, and the crew placing bags on all the railings and ashtrays around the ship.

I never get seasick but when I saw that I took bonine before we left.

BTW - I ate dinner in the Bistro that night - very relaxed only 12 people in the resturant :rolleyes:

Kind of reminds me of last summer when there was a picture taken on HAL lines. A few huge waves break over the bow almost straight on. Amazing picture to see just how tough these ships are. The waves went way over the bow and kind of rolled down the deck and splashed the windows.

The photo was taken from one of the forward lounges and it was incredible. If I remember correctly they were in the northern Atlantic. I still had them on disk so here they are. Could not find the original post.

2wave_split_into_two_crests.jpg.55f5c131054c7670aa488d48d0bb2486.jpg

3first_wave_hitting_rotterdam_bow.jpg.f296440f2d0b324c44c4c45a4e2d5732.jpg

4second_wave_wall_of_water_30_meters_high_--tall_as_crowsnest.jpg.f1b38b46944a086268e69dde9ae49098.jpg

5wave_coming_down_again_on_bow_and_all_the_way_up_to_bridge.jpg.ceb5d4ce64b4915abf54afbb349eb313.jpg

To be effective, seasick medication should be taken before you sail. Since Bermuda cruises leave in the evening, take one before you sail. You may be a little drowsy that night but it's better than being sick. The next morning you can check the sea conditions and take another pill if it's rough. If its calm, you won't need the 2nd pill. Some people find wrist bands effective. Others take ginger capsules when they start to feel queasy. Avoiding cabins in the bow or stern will help give you have a smoother ride. My wife is very prone to seasickness but following the previous suggestions have always worked.

Kind of reminds me of last summer when there was a picture taken on HAL lines. A few huge waves break over the bow almost straight on. Amazing picture to see just how tough these ships are. The waves went way over the bow and kind of rolled down the deck and splashed the windows.

The photo was taken from one of the forward lounges and it was incredible. If I remember correctly they were in the northern Atlantic. I still had them on disk so here they are. Could not find the original post.

i hear what everyone is saying i know it is a SHIP, but still makes me a little nervous. we are going w/my family most of whom have never cruised. my brother went to SUNY Maritime and had to travel on a training ship to various ports around the world, including antartica...so i guess for him this would be a piece of cake :) he is a mechanical engineer and said sometimes he would be in the engine room, pratically walking sideways b/c of the rough seas :) oh well, hopefully, it will be smooth sailing, like you said ShoreGuy

On the Sky in 2001 we hit some rough seas. before we did so, the crew were out and about very discreetly placing the bags in strategic places all round the ship. In the railings around the atrium, in the large plant pots etc etc.

It may have been formal night as I can distinctly remember one crew member with white gloves on placing the bags. I knew I had come up in the world when white gloved stewards were handing out sick bags.

That night we hit the rough seas, we were OK but the cabin pictures swinging out and hitting back into the wall kept us awake most of the night.

Wow! :eek: Thanks for sharing those pics orcatek. I get sea sick so I take precautions. However, I too love the motion of the ship, even if it makes me sick. It's scary but it's exciting too. ;)

It all depends on the pax and how many of them have motion sickness problems. Last Halloween on the Dawn, we hit 15-20 ft seas, and were not able to go to the private island. Almost half of the ship was ill. We were in the very front of the ship and were not bothered. Just happy that I do not get ill.

I was surprised that they did not let pax go up on deck mid-ship as fresh air usually helps to ease the problem. :confused:

:eek:

They didn`t want anyone to fall overboard. Sometimes they close off decks even on nice days, though windy, people have a tendency to fall down;)

I love a storm at sea. I have been through many and they are always exciting. When you see the barf bags, thats a good sign it`s going to be a bad one.

I find that if you ask your waiter for the conditions they will tell you. The captian tells the staff so they can batten down the hatches. Always use Bonine as a preventitive. Can`t hurt, only help.

I was on one cruise to Bermuda where some people were in the lounge all night with their lifevests on, scared to death. Our waiter told us at dinner that it was going to be a bad one, and it was.

It all depends on the pax and how many of them have motion sickness problems. Last Halloween on the Dawn, we hit 15-20 ft seas, and were not able to go to the private island. Almost half of the ship was ill. We were in the very front of the ship and were not bothered. Just happy that I do not get ill.

I was surprised that they did not let pax go up on deck mid-ship as fresh air usually helps to ease the problem. :confused:

I was on one of those nightmare cruises last May to Bermuda. I was so sick the entire trip to Bermuda that I was bedridden after I got the shot from the ship's doctor. It was so bad that I flew home instead of taking the ship back to New York. This was my first and LAST cruise. But, one good thing came from it, I'm no longer afraid to fly. If I could survive this cruise, I can handle a couple of hours on a plane.

Debbie

Wow, those pics were great!!! I love storms, yes I'm a little strange:p . I've only been on 2 previous cruises (both to Caribbean) and am heading to the Baltics in less than 2 weeks.

Any chances of a good T-storm, especially at night in this area? We're in an outside cabin and would love to see a storm at sea while we're turning in.

Thanks!

Happy Sailing!!

Romy

So sorry you had this bad weather. We were on the July 4 sailing to Bermuda. We had a T storm early one morning while moving from St. George to Hamilton, but I didn't notice any additional rocking--probably, we were lucky because we were between ports. The rain was gone by the time we got off the ship in Hamilton. When we were on the Norway once, we were making up for lost time due to an emergency where the ship had to turn around and wait for a helicopter to pick up a pax with a heart attack, and we hit some big waves going around Cuba. The captain warned us that we would be in rough water and they were offering Bonine tablets at the registration desk. We went to the show that night, and I was amazed that the Jean Ann Ryan company could dance with the ship rollling like it was!

Good luck to those of you getting ready to cruise. Remember, most of the time, it is smooth!

BTW--those pictures were amazing. I've never seen anything like that on any of my cruises.

Archived