Just off the Jewel - a hike to the aft

ja940

We just returned from the Christmas cruise on the Jewel and we had an aft cabin. Why isn't there stairs or elevators anywhere from the Centrum to the aft? We love and request the aft cabins, but the walk is longer than most ships. Did we miss a secret stairway?

Well, there is a stairway ... and elevators, but they're for the staff use. You can see the stairs on the Deck Plans, and I suspect that you could have used them, in a pinch. I did, once, before I figured out that there was reason they were so spartan. We just considered it our excuse for having dessert, for dinner, 'cause we knew we'd be walking it off, back to our aft cabin.

Ladylawyer - exactly -we saw the stairs on the deck plan, and made the extra walk our exercise. We are booked on the Brilliance to the Med this summer with another aft cabin on deck 9. Bottom line I'd rather aft and walk.

We had aft balconies on Explorer, but for our Serenade trip we have booked two cabins in the center of the hump, mostly for the convenience of the location. We had a JS on Sovereign that was VERY close to the aft elevators and stairs, and it was GREAT. Never had a cabin so convenient before. It made the cruise just that much more enjoyable, being able to run back to the room for a forgotten item or quick nap or whatever. It was a loooong walk to our wonderful aft balcony on Explorer. (although we did take the staff stairs to the muster drill - it had a lifeboat sign above the door!)

Sorry to go off topic like this but I wonder if anyone else sees the posts numbered like I do. This thread starts with a -1 post. I've seen some with 1 or with no number - I call that post number 0. :) But what's with the -1? Why don't all posts start with number 1?

Other than that, I can say I'm looking forward to the long aft walk when I finally get into my first aft room. I love the muster drill idea of using the crew stairs since they are marked with a lifeboat...might as well do the drill like the real thing. That's what the drill is for, right? ;)

one design fault with the Radiance class ships is the lack of an aft stairwell and elevator bank. as a result everyone aft has to come up to the midships hump to use the elevators which are generally crowded and overloaded. when booking Radiance class ships we try to book either "hump" cabins or those foreward of "hump" RCI did not repeat this design mistake in the generations of ships which have come on line later.:)

Archived