carnival glory or???

bbkitty

hi everyone, i have been reading this site for months now (very addictive!) and it's great. i will be going on my first cruise in September 2007. After all the researching, I decided on Carnival Liberty to the East Carribean. I really wanted to do the San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten cruise. Now today, I was looking at the cruise schedules for 2007 and I am pretty bummed...the Liberty doesn't go to those places in September. I would have to do an 8-day cruise which skips San Juan and goes to Antigua and Tortola also. That's not horrible, but not really in my budget (I know, it's just an extra day, but with plane tickets, time off, etc.) So I found the Carnival Glory does the trip I want (with the exception of San Juan and stopping in Nassau instead which I could care less about) but I've been reading MORE negative things about that particular ship vs. the Liberty. I know, I know, all with a grain of salt and everybody is different. I just need to bounce this off someone...should I try and save the extra money and do the 8 Day on the boat I really want? Or should I take a chance on the Glory and get to go to St Thomas and St Maarten which is what I really want? HELP!?! any suggestions appreciated...:)

Howdy bbkitty!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Need Help Using The Boards? Ask Here! Forum! 04.gif

Thank you for your inquiry. However, you have posted on the forum where members find the "How to ..." type of information for using Cruise Critic's software such as avatars, signatures, countdown clocks or tickers, attaching pictures, etc. It is not the place for your type of post and the information you seek is off topic here. 05.gif

Per our Guidelines and to help you out, I am moving your thread to the Carnival Cruise Line Forum where it will be on topic. The new location for your thread is the best location for more of your fellow Cruise Critic members to see it and to be able to help you with information.

I hope you don't mind a friendly suggestion, but you might want to read FAQ and Guidelines on the blue bar above. Especially the "Getting Started" section in FAQ. That's where you will see how a new topic should be consistent with the specific forum you choose. It also gives a brief summary of the topics covered in the different forum sections. Click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php for the list of all the Cruise Critic forums and be sure to read all Announcement and Sticky threads at the top of the various forums for additional information too.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory, and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Kat 120105Oa49_prv.gif

Hello there, I have sailed on the Liberty and she is a beautiful ship, I will be sailing on the Glory next week for 2 weeks. I have been informed that the Glory is the exact same layout as the Liberty with the exception the Liberty has the big screen TV out on the lido deck.

I really liked the Liberty, personally I would chose the ship that is going to the places you want to see. Which ever ship you chose have a great sailing. I will be posting my review on my return on the 27th.

hi everyone, i have been reading this site for months now (very addictive!) and it's great. i will be going on my first cruise in September 2007. After all the researching, I decided on Carnival Liberty to the East Carribean. I really wanted to do the San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten cruise. Now today, I was looking at the cruise schedules for 2007 and I am pretty bummed...the Liberty doesn't go to those places in September. I would have to do an 8-day cruise which skips San Juan and goes to Antigua and Tortola also. That's not horrible, but not really in my budget (I know, it's just an extra day, but with plane tickets, time off, etc.) So I found the Carnival Glory does the trip I want (with the exception of San Juan and stopping in Nassau instead which I could care less about) but I've been reading MORE negative things about that particular ship vs. the Liberty. I know, I know, all with a grain of salt and everybody is different. I just need to bounce this off someone...should I try and save the extra money and do the 8 Day on the boat I really want? Or should I take a chance on the Glory and get to go to St Thomas and St Maarten which is what I really want? HELP!?! any suggestions appreciated...:)

Very difficult to answer but let's see if I can give a litlle insight from my perspective.

I have been on the Glory and though it was not my favorite ship it wasn't that bad and if had the itinerary I really wanted I would sail her again. The things I did not like: more people but not that much deck space compared to other ships; did not care for the stadium seating around the pool area and the ship is a little more difficult to navigate yourself around.

San Juan not in my top ten ports I would have to goto, been there a few times, but if you never been there it's also worth seeing. Tortolla is in my top ten because of the opportunity to goto the Baths in Virgin Gorda. St. Thomas and St Marteen are very nice ports to visit.

I have not sailed the Liberty so I cannot comment on her. I can comment on the two eight day cruises I have been on. It's amazing that just by adding one day onto the itinerary how much older your fellow cruisers become. I think it's for the reasons you stated above extra day off work, the cruises can start and stop on odd days of the week, and off course the extra money. We still had a blast on both of the cruises but felt like we were the babies on the cruise and I have a DS who is 25.

I hope this helps a little.........

I found just the opposite. I am currently booked on the Glory and have favorable reviews about her but negative ones about the Liberty.

I do take them with a grain of salt though. I just emailed my TA a couple hours ago to switch us to the Liberty. We are getting balcony connecting cabins for less than the price of 2 connecting oceanviews. Only downside is it is one less day as it's only a 6 nighter. Just one extra day to spend in FLL.;)

Bill

I wouldn't stress over San Juan. Carnival ships arrive in San Juan late in the afternoon and all the sights in the old town are closed. You can enjoy a nice dinner or go dancing but you won't see any sights. Nassau is a beach day on Paradise island for us. In my opinion Nassau is better than a weeknight in San Juan.

If you can swing the 8 day I would recommend it. I would take a day in Tortolla over a day in Nassau or an evening in San Juan in a heart beat. If not the Glory looks like it does what you want for what you can budget, go for it!

Just got off the glory (eastern ) christmas cruise. We did the Liberty western mar '06. Both ships are the same layout and cabins - Liberty has the big screen on lido deck. I preferred the Liberty but it was because I preferred the singers and CD on the Liberty. Of course that could change by the time you cruise so I guess that cant be the only deciding factor. I guess I would try for the ports you want since the ships are so similar. Whatever you choose, Im sure you'll have a great time:)

I was so nervous about sailing Glory after reading so many negative reviews but.......found out they were written by NEGATIVE people:D Glory is a wonderful ship and we could not find anything wrong with her. Would sail her again in a heartbeat. Another thing to consider, iteneraries do change. We booked our next cruise specifically for the ports which have now changed. Although a little bummed at first, very excited now. Always have a positive attitude and you will have a wonderful cruise. Just go ahead and book it so you can start your countdown clock;)

thanks VERY much for everyone replying. i guess i screwed up on posting my thread so sorry, be patient with me...

I just emailed my friend I travel with to see what he thinks. I'm not so scared about the Glory now after reading what you guys said. I'm not so bummed about missing San Juan either. I hope he says we should go for the 8 day, but if not I'm okay with the Glory.

Also, I was just reading about best times to book to get a deal and it said Jan-Feb are the deals starting to the Carribean for the fall (perfect timing so far...) I am signed up with ********* and they have a "free upgrade" on the Glory for that trip. $679 for a balcony...Should I wait?

thanks again!

(gotta go do some research on Antigua and Tortola just in case he says yes!):)

thanks VERY much for everyone replying. i guess i screwed up on posting my thread so sorry, be patient with me...

I just emailed my friend I travel with to see what he thinks. I'm not so scared about the Glory now after reading what you guys said. I'm not so bummed about missing San Juan either. I hope he says we should go for the 8 day, but if not I'm okay with the Glory.

Also, I was just reading about best times to book to get a deal and it said Jan-Feb are the deals starting to the Carribean for the fall (perfect timing so far...) I am signed up with ********* and they have a "free upgrade" on the Glory for that trip. $679 for a balcony...Should I wait?

thanks again!

(gotta go do some research on Antigua and Tortola just in case he says yes!):)

I use the $100 to $110 price range per person per day for a balcony as a guide. That price seems to be OK just clarify with the agent what the additional charges maybe such as port fees and taxes. Sometimes the price looks good but if they start tacking on fees it just comes out to OK. You can always call Carnival and speak with a PVP and they should qoute you the lowest going fare for comparison. Good Luck!!!!

Haven't sailed the Liberty so I can't comment but we sailed the Glory in April 2005. Absolutely loved Port Canaveral and the Glory! We did sail western but both my DH and I agreed we loved the Glory and would sail her again in a minute. We have sailed on the Triumph western and hands down liked the Glory overall a million times better! We had a cat 8A cabin on upper deck on the Glory and loved it. Had a cat 11 cabin on the Triumph and wouldn't change from a 8 cabin again. Yes, it is crowded but it's a big ship. We found that not going to lunch on sea days right a noon but waiting just 30 minutes or so is key. Otherwise, the lines are very long. Service was great and the ship was beautiful. We haven't sailed eastern for year but that's because I don't care for two full days at sea on the way home. I know others love this but it's not for us but my DH does love the eastern islands...maybe again another time! Enjoy!

Archived