An Extremely Green Question

Green, n00b, whatever :cool:

So sunday is my first cruise and I can't begin to express how excited I am... However, I was wondering about the cost of the alcohol on board... I've been reading posts the last month or two about people sneaking personal bottles onto the ship... This lead me to believe that the ships alcohol prices are a bit steep. Can you purchase alcohol duty free on board in the liquor shop? If not duty free are the prices in general the same as the liquor stores? Also when purchased, can you bring the alcohol back to your cabin?

Another quick alcohol Q... Can you all recommend any specific specialty drinks that I should try...

Thanks for answering in advance...

On board the ship, drinks from the bar cost about the same that you'd pay if you went out to a nice restaurant. I've never smuggled booze on board--but then DH and I are only 1-2 drink a day people and we can well afford to pay ships' prices for them.

You CAN buy alcohol on board but if you want to take it back to your room for on-board consumption, there are extra charges. I've never done this but my sister-in-law said that, by the time she and her hubby paid the extra fees, they paid almost as much as they would have paid to buy the alcohol in Michigan (where they live).

I can't recommend specialty drinks--I'm a strawberry daiquiri gal!

Happy Crusing!

Thanks for the reply, yes I read somewhere that there is a 10$ charge on what you purchase, no matter how many bottles you purchase if you want to take it back to your room... But the 10$ was the only extra fee you paid, so purchasing say 3 bottles instead of 1 was more cost effective... Then again you are also purchasing 3 bottles of liquor.... I dunno if my liver could take that...

:rolleyes:

you are charged a $9.50 tipping fee to bring it back to your room. adding this to the cost of the bottle brings the price up to what you'd pay at home.

example: a fifth of stoli's where i live $20.00

duty free: $10.00 + 9.50 for a litre

specialty drinks: try one of each :) (some of the waiters around the pool have great sales pitches)

sly

i bought one bottle at a time and was charged the tipping fee each time

Try the drink of the day specials, usually $4 (ish) for a frozen type. My favorite on this trip was the "Love Connection" it was part pina' colada (sp?), part strawberry daiquiri and some sort of mango juice (I think) w/rum of course:D Sounds weird, but it was the drink special of the day so I tried it and it was great!! One tip...if you get a frozen type drink from the pool bar, stir it up before drinking because they use the "virgin" variety for the frozen part and then add the rum on top. I also liked the CocoLoco, not sure what is in it, but it was also good. The after dinner drinks were also great in coffee (usually Bailey's mixed w/other things).

Happy Sailing:) Wish I was going too!!

Yes, there is an on board consumption fee of $9.50 and I believe it was per bottle. Without the consumption fee they will deliver your purchase to your stateroom on the last night of sailing. But I also saw people buying liquor at the port and being allowed to carry it back on board without being stopped. Drink prices average anywhere from $4-8/drink plus 15% gratuity. This is why people take their own drinks on board.

Karen

If you do order frozen/specialty drinks from the bar, and don't want the novelty glass, be sure to tell the bartender to pour it in a regular glass. They add on extra $$ automaticaly if you don't. You'll be amazed at all the empties you'll see laying around that people 'bought' and didn't realize. They just gather them up, wash and resell them.

If purchasing liquor onboard the first night, there is a one time fee regardless of how many bottles you buy. Afterwards, it is per bottle. Also, the selection onboard may not include what you want if it is not something very common. If purchasing in port, you can usually put one bottle in your carryon & bring back to your cabin, but if it is in the box of three or more, it will be taken & delivered the last night.

There are lots of different "specialty" drinks. It seems like each day has a different drink. Basically, they are all "slush with rum". But they are all sooooo goooood. Sitting on the pool deck sipping slush with rum is what cruisin' is all about

I read the small print in the back of my RCCL brochure a few days ago, and it does not say you can't bring your own stuff onboard -- I had assumed that was the rule. Instead, it says they reserve the right to limit the quantities that you bring onboard. My take on it: They don't much care if you bring a bottle of wine or a 12-pack of beer for use in your own cabin, but they would stop you from bringing a whole suitcase.

Here's another hint if you intend to bring liquor or wine onboard: Bring small bottles so you can finish it onboard. You cannot take partial bottles back into the US, and if you're caught trying to do so the fine is steep.

Archived