xel-ha in Cozumel

Baileysmom

Has anyone been on the XEL-HA tour booked through RCCL. I thought it sounded great but when I went to Xel-ha site web page there were people complaining on their boards that it was a tourist trap, too crowded on and on...I didnt want to book if that was really the case or just some unhappy customers.

I've been to Xel-Ha twice. I loved it, but it wasn't terribly busey either time.

I took a bus from Playa Del Carmen (short ferry ride from Cozumel) for like $3. They have tourist class and also regular service. I would recommend the more expensive (still cheap) bus because it's faster and less crowded.

From Xel-Ha I took taxis to Tulum. Not very far. I forgot how much it cost, but not a lot.

The admission to Xel Ha was close to $20 I think, and included snorkle (this was a few years ago, may want to check now) and there was a beautiful bay full of fish to see, all in relative safety thanks to life guards and such. They also had tubes to hang out in amd plenty of deck chairs and the best coco locos I've ever had (beware, they will mess. you. up! :p ). They also had snorkeling guides that would feed the fish and piont out the different kinds.

I don't have any idea how much cruise lines are charging to get ppl there, but I know for the $50-$60 or so I used the times I went there on day trips it was WELL worth it!

I think it could be a little bit of both. Some unhappy campers, as well as yes, it is a tourist trap, can get crowded, etc. But I think it is a good value for the day you spend there. The crowded part will largely depend on the time of year you are visiting. It's a pretty big area with lots to do. When I've been there, yes it was crowded, and ok, I did have to wait in a couple of lines ... but were we all on top of eachother all day long? No.

Archived