Children's dress code?

RSMom

I've read many posts regarding men's and women's dress codes but have yet to see what children are expected to wear in the dining room, both on formal and casual evenings.

We are cruising on RCCL this month with our 7 year old twin boys. We live in Alaska and the boys don't wear dress clothes very often. I plan to have them wear a shirt and tie with khaki pants. They love to get dressed up. On casual nights, would khaki pants and a polo or hawaiian shirt be okay? Also, would their sandals suffice?

I have enough worries about what to pack for me that I would love to have things simplified for them!

Thanks for any help.

RSMom

First time cruise!

Rhapsody of the Seas/January 21

I've read many posts regarding men's and women's dress codes but have yet to see what children are expected to wear in the dining room, both on formal and casual evenings.

We are cruising on RCCL this month with our 7 year old twin boys. We live in Alaska and the boys don't wear dress clothes very often. I plan to have them wear a shirt and tie with khaki pants. They love to get dressed up. On casual nights, would khaki pants and a polo or hawaiian shirt be okay? Also, would their sandals suffice?

I have enough worries about what to pack for me that I would love to have things simplified for them!

Thanks for any help.

RSMom

First time cruise!

Rhapsody of the Seas/January 21

Sounds like you're right on track RSMom! RCI asks that parents see that their children are dressed in accordance with the suggested attire for the evening. We were on Rhapsody this summer and if your boys are in Khakis and polos (even with their sandals) on casual nights they'll fit right in. Nice pants, shirt and tie for formal night will work, too. Have a great time!! We did!

Hi,

We are cruising (for the first time) this month too (Jewel of the Seas Jan 21-28th) and I was just researching dress codes the other day (my son is 6, daughter 8). I was originally just going to put a shirt/tie khakis on him (and a dress for my daughter) on the formal nights but then I read a bunch of postings about how people don't dress their boys up like they do the girls, etc. etc.

So...yesterday I went to our neighborhood second-hand store for kids clothes...sure enough they had like new dress clothes for boys for literally nothing! I bought a black suite (pants/jacket) for $16! I also bought another blazer that I will keep for him as it is too big now but for $2.50 (yes, that's correct...$2.50!! - their winter stuff was all 1/2 off) I could pass it up! I have to say, he was pretty excited about it when he got home from school...tried it all on and said he looked like Dad! Anyway, I hadn't ever thought of a consignment shop until someone at work mentioned that's where she bought her daughters formal dresses for her last cruise...got a bunch of them for next to nothing. He will probably never wear the suit again so spending a bunch of money on it just wasn't worth it. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

. . . Anyway, I hadn't ever thought of a consignment shop until someone at work mentioned that's where she bought her daughters formal dresses for her last cruise...got a bunch of them for next to nothing. He will probably never wear the suit again so spending a bunch of money on it just wasn't worth it. . .

And if he doesn't have younger brothers or cousins who can use it when he outgrows it, you can always bring it back to a consignment shop and start the cycle all over again!

Hi,

We are cruising (for the first time) this month too (Jewel of the Seas Jan 21-28th) and I was just researching dress codes the other day (my son is 6, daughter 8). I was originally just going to put a shirt/tie khakis on him (and a dress for my daughter) on the formal nights but then I read a bunch of postings about how people don't dress their boys up like they do the girls, etc. etc.

So...yesterday I went to our neighborhood second-hand store for kids clothes...sure enough they had like new dress clothes for boys for literally nothing! I bought a black suite (pants/jacket) for $16! I also bought another blazer that I will keep for him as it is too big now but for $2.50 (yes, that's correct...$2.50!! - their winter stuff was all 1/2 off) I could pass it up! I have to say, he was pretty excited about it when he got home from school...tried it all on and said he looked like Dad! Anyway, I hadn't ever thought of a consignment shop until someone at work mentioned that's where she bought her daughters formal dresses for her last cruise...got a bunch of them for next to nothing. He will probably never wear the suit again so spending a bunch of money on it just wasn't worth it. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

You're a smart mom! Thrift shops are excellent sources of formal wear for kiddos. Most of those types of clothing were purchased for a particular event, worn, then outgrown pronto. Although I wasn't in the market at the time, I visited a garage sale down the street and the young woman was selling off all her formals. They were gorgeous and I was sorry I didn't need one!

Both our boys (6 & 7) got their suits at the consignment store ($10-$12)for our cruise last month.......then we lent them to their cousin for his cruise last week.

I got them a pair of new dark sneakers right before we left; and a couple of ties; and they were set. They also brought along a pair of light colored slacks that they able to wear with their formal shirts and ties on less formal nights.

There were two formal nights and they wore their same suits (switched ties) on both nights - - (don't tell but I actually wore my formal dress twice w/different accessories).

ps - They loved getting so many compliments & managed to keep themselves neat and clean for both formal meals.

Both our boys (6 & 7) got their suits at the consignment store ($10-$12)for our cruise last month.......then we lent them to their cousin for his cruise last week.

I got them a pair of new dark sneakers right before we left; and a couple of ties; and they were set. They also brought along a pair of light colored slacks that they able to wear with their formal shirts and ties on less formal nights.

There were two formal nights and they wore their same suits (switched ties) on both nights - - (don't tell but I actually wore my formal dress twice w/different accessories).

ps - They loved getting so many compliments & managed to keep themselves neat and clean for both formal meals.

i guess i'm just out of the loop! this is our first cruise and i feel like there's just too much to know! and i can't keep up! i didn't realize there was a dress code! is this to say that i have to dress my kids up just to show up for dinner?! seems like sort of a pain...

I got my twins their dress up dresses for a great price on ebay and they look like they had just been worn once and washed. The great thing is, I'll be able to sell them for about the same price I paid. Just make sure to read the ad closely to make sure the condition is excellent, that the seller has good feedback and that the shipping is reasonable. It's a great way for moms to sell those dress up clothes that often only get worn once.

Best,

Mia

We are going on a Carnival cruise in May with our two kids, a 3 yo boy and 6 month old little girl. I had no idea that we would have to dress them so much for formal night. I know that Carnival is more casual...and it's only a 5 day curise, so there is just one formal night, but I should still get him a tie??? I had no idea!!!

Hey, even though I had only the girl, from what I've observed and in my own opinion, for formal night for boys minimumally acceptable would probably be a non-jeans pair of long pants and a solid color polo type shirt (gotta have a collar). Stay away from the cargo pants and try to get something a bit more tailored. That as I say would be bare minimum.

Check your cruise line's web site and/or your cruise documents for dress suggestions for the dining rooms for the non-formal nights. Typically, even for kids, long pants that are not jeans are suggested.

While on some cruises you will find just about everyone 'breaking' the dress code, there will be some ships/crew who are a bit more particular and you may be asked to change if you come inappropriately dressed.

Archived