Snorkeling with Valuables (Passport)

JimP

For you experienced Carribean travelers. How do you deal with valuables when you go snorkeling on your own. I read where there are lockers at some locations but what's the best way to keep them dry and safe. I won't take much with me but will need enough money for cab fares and in some locations will need a passport.

JimP

There are waterproof containers that you can purchase to keep your things safe and dry, we us items from http://www.watchfuleyedesigns.com/. There are probably less expensive products but we liked the idea of having our things around my husbands waist, safe and dry!

As for your passport, it's not a good idea to bring your passport off the ship. Make color copies of your passports and take those with you and leave your passport in your cabin's safe.

Happy cruising!

You should never take your passport ashore with you. Making a colour copy is the best suggestion. I just used a scanner to print a colour copy. As Canadians we don't have to worry about taking our passports ashore as the cruise ships "confiscate" them when we board and return them before we leave at the end of the cruise.

I use a water wallet that hangs around your neck has a long rope type string that is a good idea to burn the knot end so it doesn't unravel. They have sizes for like a credit card and some tri-folded bills, one that is a little bigger than a cigarette pack, and some for sunglasses(use to use this for my prescription glasses when I was snorkeling, since I had prescription lenses in my mask. These worked very well. For females it is easy to put the wallet part in the front of your suit(between the boulders). Sometimes the wallet floats up and the first time you hear it hit your snorkel you will think you ran into something. It's good to wear under your shirt around your neck when you are walking around ports or even in airports instead of leaving those important extras(money, credit cards, travelers checks) in your purse or carryon. Most dive shops have these. They are hard plastic and have a gasket in them like underwater camera housings have.

Another reason to invest in a water wallet or dry box ... in his excitment to get into the water to snorkel with sharks, my husband stashed the cash to pay the guide in his swim trunks pocket rather than his dry box or gear bag. We had been in the water about 5 minutes when I noticed a wad of $20 bills drifting about 20 feet down right in the middle of the sharks. Luckily, he was able to retreive all the cash but just barely - it was almost out of reach. The dry box was high and dry in the boat.

Maggie :)

Archived